U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2014, 03:41 PM

4,978 posts, read 3,464,691 times

Advertisements

Sungrins, see if your insurance will pay for any of it. If not you could just pay for what you need done. Some things I did after the back operation was to get that shower cleaner that you use by pressing a button when you're done showering. I bought that spinning mop that is easy to use. I bought a lightweight vacuum cleaner. There are things you can get that help you. Oh, and the best thing I bought was a picker. Check it out at SAMMONS PRESTON ROLYAN, 800-323-5547. It even picked up a crochet hook I'd dropped at the Nursing Home. I was hooked and use it almost every day.

Old 12-25-2014, 10:00 AM

2,627 posts, read 4,954,783 times
Now that I am retired I am working on preparing to sell my house. I've kept in touch with the realtor who handled the sale of my home (I was the purchaser) and will contact her. I need some repairs, upgrades and am hoping the realtor will have good contacts of people/contractors who can help with this. One of my priorities in moving to a place outside of Florida is security! I want a peaceful, suburban, quiet, safe neighborhood. I want a four season climate. I am tired of living at the end of this peninsula. I've considered the NC or TN area. I've considered the Midwest (where I grew up). I need nature, people who share an interest in the outdoors, history, birding, etc. I hesitate in choosing a mountainous area due to the thought of driving on steep, icy roads. If I were to live in the Midwest, the NC or TN western areas are within a days drive.

Old 12-26-2014, 06:48 AM

130 posts, read 263,765 times
Try Cape Charles, Va, a town steeped in history, charm and nature that most people don't know about.

Old 12-26-2014, 05:30 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,622 posts, read 39,986,663 times
Tri cities / NE TN is my choice for that region.
Proximity (a few minutes drive) to other states is a plus. (from my income tax free domicile of WA, I enjoy a 5 minute hop to sales tax free Portland, OR for many reasons besides sales tax, usually cultural stuff at 20+ universities and colleges).

Jonesborough, & Greeneville, TN, are some of my choices in NE TN. For rural sites I will go on up into the Mtns. beyond Hampton, or Unicoi, TN. Keeps me close enough to enjoy Asheville and the better served airport there.

Old 12-26-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazfora View Post
Try Cape Charles, Va, a town steeped in history, charm and nature that most people don't know about.
I prefer to be far from a coast. The town does look interesting.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:56 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,063,489 times
You might want to check out Charlottesville, VA or the surrounding towns. It's the base of mountains but not at a high elevation, the University of Virginia is located there so it has a lot to offer, but probably would be more expensive than TN.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:31 PM

Yeah, it is too expensive for me. It is a lovely area, though.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:20 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Yeah, it is too expensive for me. It is a lovely area, though.
I have a great idea....Lafayette, Indiana!

Old 12-31-2014, 08:11 AM

4,484 posts, read 4,746,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
You might want to check out Charlottesville, VA or the surrounding towns. It's the base of mountains but not at a high elevation, the University of Virginia is located there so it has a lot to offer, but probably would be more expensive than TN.

Charlottesville is expensive, sort of, not so compared to living in Northern Va., which I do and am so wanting to leave as soon as I can. There are quaint, historic towns surrounding Charlottesville that are not expensive.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:49 AM

130 posts, read 263,765 times
The problem about moving into these charming towns is public transportation. I don't relish having to drive everywhere. I have ditched my car since I retired in 2009 and have been car-less since, out of passionate choice. Having analyzed all these wonderful towns recommended or suggested by various posters in this forum, I settled on Richmond, VA. It has decent public transport and taxis and I'm right smack in the City Center area and can walk to activities, business and financial offices, restaurants and entertainment venues, post office, library and a few grocery stores. I had to compromise on the latter (i.e. walking distance to a big supermarket) but they aren't too far from me either by public transport or taxi. I just have to plan my outings efficiently. I realized that I can't have everything I enjoyed in NYC on my small budget. So Richmond is my home now. The city has lots of great plans to revive what once was a booming historic city and there's development construction everywhere. It can only get better.

Carytown is the funky area where the young congregate, but I chose a quieter area. I haven't quite settled in having moved in just this December from a 3-BR apartment to a 1BR apartment. As you can see, I will need to be judicious in editing my personal effects. But I have been known to be a space conqueror and am quite confident I'll declare victory one day, in the not-too-distant future. Being space-challenged is a temporary state and creativity can conquer it.

I have to make a final decision about what to discard from my stash of memorabilia and my daughter's childhood art and stuff. Sometimes you wonder why you keep these things and even pay for storage. I think it's our selfish desire to be remembered when we're gone. (That should be another forum thread.) Let it go, let it go, let it go! -- that will be my mantra for 2015.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement