U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2015, 09:32 PM

4,981 posts, read 3,472,095 times

Advertisements

Jodie, I haven't tried meditation although I do spend a good deal of time in prayer. Yes, I've done deep breathing but, the sciatic nerve was pinched for over 2 years. I am able to use my right leg more, but not for long. Since the back fusion, I can no longer bend -try that for awhile, always having to squats & never bending. Not much fun.

Old 01-17-2015, 02:10 PM

10,479 posts, read 5,944,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodie603 View Post
Hi there!
I discovered this thread yesterday and I cannot believe it's over 600 pages! I am a 51-year-old single female in the arctic Twin Cities tundra of Minnesota. So my post relates to the previous one by meo92953 regarding aging in an area with about five months of winter.

Two other single women friends of mine and I have just recently started talking about where we are going to move to age well alone and independently. The three of us all agree that we want a strong feeling of community.

While Minnesota is a beautiful state and this is a very livable area in terms of good health care, amenities, cost of living and pace of life, we all agree this is not a good place for someone to age well living alone. We are all transplants from other places and we find that in addition to the inconvenience and hazards of snow and ice covered roads, five months of winter contributes to a great deal of hibernation alone inside. I'm still working so I can take the bus to go see my coworkers each day. However as a retiree not going to a full-time job, that would cause a lot of unhealthy social isolation which I'd like to avoid.

So I plan to go through this very lengthy thread-it'll probably take me about a month :-) if Wisteria or any of the original founders of this wonderful string are still on here, would you share an update as to whether you formed an intentional community? Right now I'm on page 20 of this 600 page string and I can't wait to find how your story turned out!

Any other single women over 50 in the Twin Cities thinking about this? I'm happy to host a meet up about it! Good luck to everyone trying to explore various options!

By the way, I'm considering eastern states with 4 seasons and a more moderate climate like I grew up with in Washington DC. This move may be a ways off - I like to plan ahead!
Jodie603
Hi there, I'm 55 and live near DC and thinking of moving because it's too damned cold here!

Old 01-17-2015, 06:18 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,652 posts, read 40,029,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Hi there, I'm 55 and live near DC and thinking of moving because it's too damned cold here!
This too is only temporary (cold)... wait till July!

I ike snow and warm, but I can not think of too many climes I dislike as much as DC.). I visit there in Oct and in May, usually great!

DC is another on my list... "Better to Visit (on my terms), than to live there". And...It is a great place to visit

Colorado, NM, AZ, NV, MT, WY, SD, UT, ID, MA, NH, VT, NY, LA, AL, FL, GA, SC, TN, NC, IL, WI are on that list too. (Thanks to SWA flight sales that are $39 for under 500 miles... I get to see all those places often.)

Old 01-17-2015, 06:23 PM

2,627 posts, read 4,958,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
This too is only temporary (cold)... wait till July!

I ike snow and warm, but I can not think of too many climes I dislike as much as DC.). I visit there in Oct and in May, usually great!

DC is another on my list... "Better to Visit (on my terms), than to live there". And...It is a great place to visit

Colorado, NM, AZ, NV, MT, WY, SD, UT, ID, MA, NH, VT, NY, LA, AL, FL, GA, SC, TN, NC, IL, WI are on that list too. (Thanks to SWA flight sales that are $39 for under 500 miles... I get to see all those places often.)
Where is Indiana on your lists?

Old 01-17-2015, 07:25 PM

11,419 posts, read 20,295,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
LOL, me too! I'm thinking one of the Carolinas - it's scary though.

Old 01-17-2015, 08:54 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,031,681 times
I'm flip-flopping more than a fish out of water. One day I'm sure I've settled on Connecticut; the next day I'm back to being SURE it will be NC. And so it goes. At least I finally whittled it down to those two. I think.

Old 01-18-2015, 03:22 AM

967 posts, read 920,321 times
bridgerider, interesting choices as the final 2 since they seem so different to me in terms of climate, at least! Good luck deciding.....

Old 01-18-2015, 05:08 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,031,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artangel View Post
bridgerider, interesting choices as the final 2 since they seem so different to me in terms of climate, at least! Good luck deciding.....

Heheh....they sure are. I grew up in CO & have lived in NY for 30+ years now. I've been freelancing in CT for the past year & have really grown to love all these beautiful little towns. But I love the climate of NC & knowing I can go east for the coast or west for the mountains means day trips would be so easy. I hate the winters of upstate NY; yet I'm so surprised how much milder CT is just a few growing zones south.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:38 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,652 posts, read 40,029,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Where is Indiana on your lists?
Indiana is a Visit... I don't go east of Missouri River between June and Sept. (except rare occasional 4th of July trip to DC or Boston). I did Indiana on a Memorial Day weekend 5 yrs ago. It was a great trip. I had never done Notre Dame before, My hosts ($10/ night guest home) were retirees from the college, so I got a very lengthy personalized tour (for free) (I had a $4.95/ day Hotwire rental car from DEN, so saw a lot of friends in the 3500 mile trip)

Fit in the Villages of Van Buren (Iowa)
Villages of Van Buren County Iowa (IA) - Southeast Iowa Visitor Information, Historic Sites and Attractions My Hosts there repaired and sent sewing machines to Women Businesses in Afghanistan and Pakistan. Fun! I have friends covertly living there (for 30 yrs) teaching the women to run businesses. Most are war widows. I have sponsored businesses there. We (USA) live the 'good life'.

Secure (we live relatively fear free)
Choices (many)
opportunities (even in 'retirement')

Old 01-18-2015, 03:38 PM

11,419 posts, read 20,295,540 times
I'm not retirement age (mid 50's) but just recently approved for disability and will have to relocate to a more affordable and WARMER location - I spent too much time online today trying to research areas that will be move affordable than here - it's tough than much of this thread is speaking of "us" and I was widowed in the last yr. - otherwise.... trying to be "you gotta do what you gotta do"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement