U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2015, 11:36 PM

4,974 posts, read 3,460,586 times

Advertisements

Ok, I see it was the COL. I'll have to investigate that.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:45 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,028,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Bridge -why did you cross VA off your list? My nephew lives in Portsmouth & has for many years. Just email ed him for info as Virginia wasn't on my list.

Mary
As much as I love VA, the parts that I could afford to live in are too remote. Never thought I'd say that! Other parts I could afford would require my living in a townhome or controlled environment - & I definitely don't want that. Some things I know I do not want to compromise on:
* minimum half acre lot with privacy or up to two acres that I could landscape in some privacy. (I want neighbors - I just don't want to hear them sneeze. Where I am now is a true suburban neighborhood; the people are very nice, but there's very little privacy. My neighbor races cars for a hobby. I hear the tinkering & engine revving in his garage like he was in my own bedroom). VA lots of that size are either in areas a bit too remote for me or incredibly out of my price range.
* fenced in yard or municipalities that allow it. Finding many areas I can afford but they come with HOAs....not a fan of HOAs.
* access to big city attractions has to be fairly doable. I don't mind a bit of heavy traffic, but every time I'm in VA & get in or near the beltway, I'm gobsmacked by how nuts the traffic is. My friend lives in a great town about 20 miles outside of DC & it's unbelievable how long it takes to get thru that area.

One of my favorite towns is Salem, VA. Close to Roanoke & the Blue Ridge but not as "hippy-trippy" as Charlottesville, Salem proved to be just a bit too far from the coast for me...& a little expensive for what I could get. (btw, nothing against the hippy-trippy liberal communities, I've BTDT - but I'm at a different place in my life now).

But living in NC, I could enjoy the Smokeys & Blue Ridge fairly easily now & then.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I thought of moving to CT but my husband's lawyer stole his retirement money so now we're stuck.

I would have moved to the CT shore. I used to live close enough so that I could get to the beach in about 15 minutes. Saybrook area would be nice. I like the small towns and ideally, if I were very rich, I would probably choose some place like Essex, CT. Those shore towns like Branford and the others have always held an attraction for me. They have their charm and you can get a train to NYC. The coastal area has an easier winter than MA.

FF County is too much like NYC though. It's very expensive anyway.

Yes, agree with you totally. I love MA; my niece lives about 30 minutes from Boston & my brother lives very near the RI border. I often work in the Berkshires towns -- there's so much charm & character throughout MA. But the winters are a deal breaker. Again, I can't get over the change in microclimates by just going another hour or two south into CT. Many of the florists I freelance for grow a lot of their own product simply by being in growing zones just one or two grades warmer/longer.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:02 AM

Two things I should add:
1). Stealth Rabbit, I think I am going to be living vicariously through your posts!! Sounds like you have done a lot of living in your lifetime -- something that is very admirable and somewhat envious!
2) One of the other things that I love about Connecticut is even though I would be living in a small town hopefully with at least a half an acre to an acre, it would not be a hardship to enjoy a nice evening in New Haven or a nice day trip to one of the coastal areas to enjoy the beach. Even with the traffic, Connecticut is so accessible from town to town to town....I have found that is very high on my list of wants.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:33 AM

19,839 posts, read 18,861,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
Two things I should add:
1). Stealth Rabbit, I think I am going to be living vicariously through your posts!! Sounds like you have done a lot of living in your lifetime -- something that is very admirable and somewhat envious!
2) One of the other things that I love about Connecticut is even though I would be living in a small town hopefully with at least a half an acre to an acre, it would not be a hardship to enjoy a nice evening in New Haven or a nice day trip to one of the coastal areas to enjoy the beach. Even with the traffic, Connecticut is so accessible from town to town to town....I have found that is very high on my list of wants.
CT does tax pensions though, don't they?

I remember a few years ago on this forum someone was looking into mobile home communities in CT. They were by Jensen and most were located near the coast--sounded intriguing but you have to watch out for the lot increases or you can eventually be priced right out. Of course you want land so that wouldn't work for you anyway.

On the gold coast area the climate is amazingly warmer; not so much on the mid to eastern part of the coast I don't think.

Old 01-28-2015, 05:03 PM

23 posts, read 32,463 times
Now it's not "dry" but another really good place is the Oregon coast, specifically Otter Rock. Yes, it rains. But unlike many places in Oregon when it rains on the coast usually it passes reasonably fast. It doesn't sit there and drizzle for days at a time like it does in Portland and other inland areas. It isn't overcast for days upon days because as the storms blow through the sun comes out, sun breaks we call them. It is windy but that changes a lot, too, it's not constantly windy. And of course then you don't have long periods of fog that you do inland. I've been in Roseburg where it was foggy all day, every day for five days straight, drove me crazy (was almost as bad as the central valley of California for fog).

Sea Crest, is a very unique community along the Oregon coast in the small town of Otter Rock. When you go to Otter Rock some people drive around and say, "is that it?" because they miss the Sea Crest gated community which is kinda hidden. You have to take the little road to the famous and beautiful Inn at Otter Crest, and you'll side a turn into a gated HOA called Sea Crest. This is a very unique place on the Oregon coast. I have been literally to every single beach on the Oregon coast that you can drive or walk to, and camped more than once at every state park and private camp ground. Sea Crest is unique because it's so quiet and hidden away, and yet close to some of the best services on the Oregon coast. Also it's unique being so sheltered by Cape Foulweather to the north and the forest surrounding the Inn to the south. I was there in 2006 during 128mph winds and in Sea Crest it was not really that windy at all, mostly. You could see a huge gust coming as the trees swayed but then it would be not bad at all. After that storm I was amazed at how well built the houses are there, there was literally no damage to houses in Sea Crest. It almost never goes below freezing so it's almost never too cold to go out. No more shoveling snow or slipping on ice. It also almost never gets really hot. One good thing about the climate there is you can store things in your garage where in most places it would be too hot or too cold for those items, in that way it's a prepper's paradise.

Also, good shopping and good medical care, in my opinion the best medical care on the entire Coast of Oregon or Washington. Very low crime rate, next to zero actually. If you love the ocean, it's a great place. No sales taxes! That's very nice right there. State of Oregon offices, and county offices, if you call them, they answer the phone! Even little things like the Post Offices, easy in, easy out, very short lines. Try the Post Offices in San Francisco, what a nightmare, time and again the line would be out the door, down the steps and out along the side walk. Services are stellar in Coastal Oregon because it's one of the few places left in the world that's not over-developed. Also the area below Otter Rock is a National Marine Sanctuary full of sea life. It's a very popular area for surfing. Also, we had 100mb high speed internet available that's so good several people I know are corporate types who work from home in Sea Crest, including a HP employee. The culture is not all "Oregon", there are people from other countries living there that have assimilated into the community.

Oregon has strong laws to protect the entire State from over-development. You may disagree with that policy but it leads to communities like Otter Rock, Oregon, that would otherwise be a huge mass of people all crammed together. I could easily see Otter Rock becoming another Pacific Palisades and Newport becoming another Santa Monica, and what a mess those places are, crime, homelessness, gangs, bad traffic, smog, on and on. You won't find that along the Coast of Oregon anywhere.

Nearby Newport has decent medical care and they routinely will fly you to Portland, so you easily have the benefits of world class medical care in Portland by one short flight if needed. Newport is home to Rogue Brewery, and it's always a fun place to go with a great restaurant. Restaurants in the Newport area totally blew us away. We'd been foodies for years, and I'd been in every major city in the Western USA. When we came to Newport/Otter Rock we'd heard the food was good but were were unprepared to find it, in my humble opinion, the BEST of any place I'd ever been. Great food, great dining, without the big city crowds and prices. It's fantastic. I could wrote 20 pages on just the list of restaurants that are so good, but that's just my opinion.

In Newport is the Oregon Coast Aquarium which I just love and my grand kids just love. I've been to the Monterrey Aquarium dozens of times. And I've been to Sea World in San Diego about five times. I greatly prefer the Oregon Coast Aquarium. Unlike the world-ranging mega-aquariums, the friendly, medium-size Oregon Coast Aquarium concentrates on (as the name implies) Oregon's coast. Fortunately, lots of compelling things live there, including turtles, sea otters, seals, sea lions, many kinds of birds, and an amazing variety of jellyfish. For an added fee, "Animal Encounters" turns visitors into personal chefs for octopuses, sea otters, sharks, or sea lions. Participants help prepare the food, then meet the "diners". It's not crowded. One time after visiting the Monterrey Aquarium I had the amazing feeling similar to after I'd gone to the US Festival back in the day with half a million people. I'd so many elbows hit my body I actually had a few small bruises the next day. Way, way too many people all crammed together, and almost impossible to see anything, that was my experience the last time. The Oregon Coast Aquarium is never like that, thankfully.

Houses on the Oregon Coast are reasonably priced, the house we lived in cost $439,000 and in Ventura, CA where we fled from like refugees in the night, that same house would have been 1.5 million. And the houses in much of this country are really very poorly built. Stucco? Give me a break. The house we lived in in Otter Rock Oregon was built to withstand storms, wind and rain. It was built to last. Over $3000 of stainless steel fittings in the roof alone. If a normal storm that routinely hits the north coast of Oregon were to ever hit southern California they'd declare it a national disaster, the houses down there would all fall apart. We had very high winds back in 2006, and in Otter Rock there was essentially NO damage except for a few trees that fell down. High winds like that are rare.

One other thing I really loved about the coast of Oregon is there are almost no snakes. No rattle snakes, no sidewinders, no snakes at all. And no ticks on the coast. We had two dogs there for 7 years, not one tick. No mosquitoes, almost never any flies, and few spiders. And all over the southwest we had trouble with those darn little black ants, Argentine ants they are, horrid things always in your house. They do not exist on the coast of Oregon. AND NO COCKROACHES. No chiggers, no mites, we just don't have the bugs. If you're tired of bugs this place is for you.

Lastly, Newport's motto is "The Friendliest" and it is true. And the HOA in Sea Crest, 7 years and I've never heard from them once. There are no problems. Just an excellent gated community with one of the best trial systems on the Oregon coast.

To me the Newport, Oregon area and places south and north, especially Otter Rock, are some of the best places to live in the world.

Here's a picture of Mac and Annie at the Veteran's Memorial Overlook, Sea Crest Community Trail System, Otter Rock, Oregon

Old 01-28-2015, 09:54 PM

4,974 posts, read 3,460,586 times
Wow, it sounds fabulous. I'll have to check into it.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:10 AM

Nice post awasner...thx for taking the time to post that. And your photo!!!! No wonder the dogs look so happy!

Old 01-29-2015, 09:15 AM

6,125 posts, read 9,083,586 times
I LOVE Mac and Annie !!!!!

Old 01-29-2015, 11:03 AM

2,294 posts, read 1,561,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I LOVE Mac and Annie !!!!!
What cute dogs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement