U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-02-2015, 06:13 PM
 
Location: SoCal desert
8,093 posts, read 13,240,703 times
Reputation: 14870

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara
Have you done the US map with X's and O's yet? Gotta X out all the places you're not interested in first (for whatever reason) to make it easier. Narrow down the field! Some people won't live in the South, some want desert, some want water, some want big cities, some want small towns ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
No idea what you are talking about
I'm a visual person, so I used a wall map of the US (left over from when I hosted exchange students).
Take a black marker and X out the states you have no interest of living in, for whatever reason. (For me, it was any place with humidity)
Then in the states that are left, X out the areas you have no interest in.
(For me, I X'ed out big cities and desert-like areas. I want small places, little traffic, and pine trees)
Then with the places that are left (No X), just start investigating and researching.
When you find a place that really sounds good, circle it.
I ended up with about 20 circles, LOL - so I researched some more and X'ed some out.

At least I've got it down to one area now.

 
Old 02-02-2015, 06:25 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,988,950 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
I'm a visual person, so I used a wall map of the US (left over from when I hosted exchange students).
Take a black marker and X out the states you have no interest of living in, for whatever reason. (For me, it was any place with humidity)
Then in the states that are left, X out the areas you have no interest in.
(For me, I X'ed out big cities and desert-like areas. I want small places, little traffic, and pine trees)
Then with the places that are left (No X), just start investigating and researching.
When you find a place that really sounds good, circle it.
I ended up with about 20 circles, LOL - so I researched some more and X'ed some out.

At least I've got it down to one area now.
I'm surprised you want to move, as I thought you love where you live (?)
 
Old 02-03-2015, 11:50 AM
 
Location: SoCal desert
8,093 posts, read 13,240,703 times
Reputation: 14870
Well, I've got the rural feel and little traffic ... but it's brown and hot 11 months out of the year.
I want to look out the window to see deer and elk ... not possums and coyotes
I want to be closer to my niece and the cattle ranch.
I'm tired of politics I don't agree with.
 
Old 02-03-2015, 05:41 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,628 posts, read 39,998,659 times
Reputation: 23785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
...
I want to look out the window to see deer and elk ...
I want to be closer to my niece and the cattle ranch.
I'm tired of politics I don't agree with.
so... do we get to guess? Montana? WY?, CO? ID, OR, WA, No CA?

Definitely 4 seasons!

I have LOTS of deer in my TX home (Oct - April) and my WA home (May - Sept). but elk ... seldom. I left them in Colorado 30 yrs ago. (Estes Park has plenty of elk living in town!) https://www.google.com/search?q=elk+...A&ved=0CCsQsAQ


Had about 25 deer outside TX cabin last night as I headed to airport. (today back in PNW for a week)
 
Old 02-03-2015, 08:19 PM
 
Location: Idaho
4,629 posts, read 4,475,135 times
Reputation: 9061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Well, I've got the rural feel and little traffic ... but it's brown and hot 11 months out of the year.
I want to look out the window to see deer and elk ... not possums and coyotes
I want to be closer to my niece and the cattle ranch.
I'm tired of politics I don't agree with.
What part of the desert are you currently residing? (Not exactly, just the general location.) I'm in the Antelope Valley and even though it is brown, as you say, it's not hot eleven months of the year. Gets downright cold, (by CA standards), around here in the winter. You must be in the "low desert".
 
Old 02-04-2015, 12:18 PM
 
Location: SoCal desert
8,093 posts, read 13,240,703 times
Reputation: 14870
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
so... do we get to guess? Montana? WY?, CO? ID, OR, WA, No CA?
ID, WY, MT
In my situation ... WY is the cheapest, MT is where the niece is, and ID is the nicest to my retirement
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
What part of the desert are you currently residing? (Not exactly, just the general location.) I'm in the Antelope Valley and even though it is brown, as you say, it's not hot eleven months of the year. Gets downright cold, (by CA standards), around here in the winter. You must be in the "low desert".
Yup, low desert.
The only reason I'm here is because it's where the money/career was.
Love the nights when it's cold.
I meet my MT niece in AZ several times in the winter - we have a place in Parker - she's reveling in the 80 degrees, and I'm usually complaining, LOL
I'm happiest in the mid 60's. When it snowed before New Year's, it was wonderful!
 
Old 02-04-2015, 12:48 PM
 
3,351 posts, read 3,053,874 times
Reputation: 4885
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
What part of the desert are you currently residing? (Not exactly, just the general location.) I'm in the Antelope Valley and even though it is brown, as you say, it's not hot eleven months of the year. Gets downright cold, (by CA standards), around here in the winter. You must be in the "low desert".
I love the Antelope Valley. I'll be in Valyermo in April to ride. I hate TN and hope to get back to California once I quit working.
 
Old 02-04-2015, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Cochise county, AZ
4,978 posts, read 3,466,540 times
Reputation: 10513
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
I love the Antelope Valley. I'll be in Valyermo in April to ride. I hate TN and hope to get back to California once I quit working.
Why do u hate Tennessee? It's at the top of my list & I'm just starting to research places. I'm going to have to look up Antelope Valley. I'm on a very fixed income though so have to choose somewhere that allows me to do more than exist.
 
Old 02-04-2015, 04:13 PM
 
1,219 posts, read 1,030,148 times
Reputation: 1997
Yes, I would also like to know what you dislike about Tennessee. Eastern TN was on my short list of 5 states until just recently. Only knocked off because I feel further east closer to the coast will fit my criteria a bit better.
 
Old 02-04-2015, 06:12 PM
 
3,351 posts, read 3,053,874 times
Reputation: 4885
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Why do u hate Tennessee? It's at the top of my list & I'm just starting to research places. I'm going to have to look up Antelope Valley. I'm on a very fixed income though so have to choose somewhere that allows me to do more than exist.
All my good friends live in California.
That's the major reason, but there are lots of others.

Don't like the church culture everywhere.
I had to give up the one sport I truly loved since it's not available here.
I hate cold. Cold is defined as under 75F in my world.
I left humidity after leaving college.
I'm a big city person.
West of the Rockies more fits me.
Don't like the southern culture. ("You are more straightforward than we are used to.")
I LIKE diversity and miss hearing other languages on the street.
Too far from Hawaii (my other love).
No ocean.
Byzantine liquor laws in TN.
Had to give up the walking/coffee shop/restaurant culture since walking neighborhoods are limited.
Don't like having to drive everywhere with a bunch of people who can't drive. (Major accident pretty much every commute morning on the news and LOTS of drunk driving - at least 3 instances in the past 6 months of drunks driving the wrong way on the freeway and hitting and killing someone.)

I moved for a job, not by choice. It will be my choice to move back when I stop working.
I definitely don't get the 'retire and move where you don't know anyone just because it's cheap.'
Different strokes for different folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top