U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2015, 06:31 PM

6,125 posts, read 9,086,149 times

Advertisements

I would say those are all excellent reasons to leave TN !

Old 02-05-2015, 07:47 AM

3,745 posts, read 4,219,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Why do u hate Tennessee? It's at the top of my list & I'm just starting to research places. I'm going to have to look up Antelope Valley. I'm on a very fixed income though so have to choose somewhere that allows me to do more than exist.
Keep it at the top of your list. Search for posts by "Knoxgarden" in this forum. She was one of our earliest posters and was very passionate about living in Knoxville. Knoxgarden provided a LOT of useful information and I suspect many of us considered moving to Knoxville upon retirement.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:19 AM

4,484 posts, read 4,745,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
All my good friends live in California.
That's the major reason, but there are lots of others.

Don't like the church culture everywhere.
I had to give up the one sport I truly loved since it's not available here.
I hate cold. Cold is defined as under 75F in my world.
I left humidity after leaving college.
I'm a big city person.
West of the Rockies more fits me.
Don't like the southern culture. ("You are more straightforward than we are used to.")
I LIKE diversity and miss hearing other languages on the street.
Too far from Hawaii (my other love).
No ocean.
Byzantine liquor laws in TN.
Had to give up the walking/coffee shop/restaurant culture since walking neighborhoods are limited.
Don't like having to drive everywhere with a bunch of people who can't drive. (Major accident pretty much every commute morning on the news and LOTS of drunk driving - at least 3 instances in the past 6 months of drunks driving the wrong way on the freeway and hitting and killing someone.)

I moved for a job, not by choice. It will be my choice to move back when I stop working.
I definitely don't get the 'retire and move where you don't know anyone just because it's cheap.'
Different strokes for different folks.

Well, those are all reasonable and majority of them personal which is what should drive a move to a different place for you. But nothing seems glaringly terrible or horrible in general. It's all about personal tastes, compromises, what one is willing to tolerate...etc, etc., etc.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:07 AM

4,574 posts, read 7,062,229 times
just my humble opinion, I think moving from the Minnesota/Wisconsin culture to the Tennessee culture, would be a real jolt for many reasons. Much more so than, say, Florida or California, which are kind of generic cultures because people from all over live there. Definitely no slam on Tennessee, I researched it myself in my relocation search, and a lot of people really like it there but I think would be a real adjustment coming from where you live now (again, just my opinion). One thing about moving, we all have to decide how much change we really can handle.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:42 AM

1,926 posts, read 990,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
just my humble opinion, I think moving from the Minnesota/Wisconsin culture to the Tennessee culture, would be a real jolt for many reasons. Much more so than, say, Florida or California, which are kind of generic cultures because people from all over live there. Definitely no slam on Tennessee, I researched it myself in my relocation search, and a lot of people really like it there but I think would be a real adjustment coming from where you live now (again, just my opinion). One thing about moving, we all have to decide how much change we really can handle.
I agree 100%. It also depends on whether you chose city or small town living. I have lived in TN for 50 years and moving from city to small town was still a jolt.

I think any move would be easier, especially for a single, with family close, but that could be because I don't have any and the grass is always greener. Small town TN socializing is still mostly about family and/or church.

Tourist areas most likely provide more of the "generic culture" loveautumn speaks of, but I'm not sure you get the cost of living break if you choose those areas.

I am happy enough here. Its the devil I know.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:45 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,029,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
All my good friends live in California.
That's the major reason, but there are lots of others.

>>snipped<<

I moved for a job, not by choice. It will be my choice to move back when I stop working.
I definitely don't get the 'retire and move where you don't know anyone just because it's cheap.'
Different strokes for different folks.

Thanks for your response! No doubt it is a very individual choice; but it's still nice to hear someone's reasons as good food for thought.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:15 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,029,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Keep it at the top of your list. Search for posts by "Knoxgarden" in this forum. She was one of our earliest posters and was very passionate about living in Knoxville. Knoxgarden provided a LOT of useful information and I suspect many of us considered moving to Knoxville upon retirement.
I remember her posts & yes, they were very helpful to me. I also hopped onto the Knoxville Area Chat Thread & asked if I could be a "lurker" with occasional questions. What a friendly bunch of people. When the opportunity came up a few years ago for me to drive from NY to NC, a friend asked if she could hitch a ride to VA, roundtrip. So when I dropped her off, I took a winding detour to my friends in NC. I did the same thing on the way back. It helped me whittle down the list, and gave me a few new spots to consider. I wouldn't say I'm overly religious & I did notice the Bible Belt influence; but I also picked up on a very noticeable "live and let live" attitude, which I like. But then I think there's a lot more of that - wherever we wind up - than we realize.

I now have family and friends in 11 states from coast to coast. I'm hoping that as I age, they will be as willing & able to visit me, as I will be to visit them. I also think it helps to be open to new experiences and making friends when you find yourself out of your element.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:01 PM

4,977 posts, read 3,462,838 times
This is why I am staying here one more year, to give myself time to really research. I only started receiving SSDI in October & didn't even start researching until I was sure I was going to have an income, as I could no longer work due to my back.

The decision, whatever I decide is going to be life changing & I want to make sure I make the right decision. I have family in Nashville, Virginia Beach, Marion, IL & Minnesota. Marion was a little too slow for me & I don't get along that we'll with my SIL so that's out, although it is certainly affordable. Nashville is way too expensive but favorite brother, sil & niece-who is my namesake live & I've just started researching Virginia Beach where a nephew & niece live.

I realize Knoxville is a ways from Nashville, but still doable for visiting. I plan on visiting both Knoxville & Virginia Beach & anywhere else that catches my interest.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:02 PM

4,977 posts, read 3,462,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Why? Are there no Lutherans in Tennessee? Are we too conservative? Why would we not fit?

Old 02-05-2015, 09:08 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,610 posts, read 39,986,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Why? Are there no Lutherans in Tennessee? Are we too conservative? Why would we not fit?
Lutherans are WAY too liberal for TN (it would seem...)

Presbyterian and Episcopalian too! (and 'northern' Methodists)

'southern religion' is a whole nuther level of SERIOUS. (often)

I have not had issues with it, but I have not LIVED there!

Being from the <5% 'churched' PNW, I would welcome a bit more 'churched', but I will admit, I would never make a good Baptist!

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 02-05-2015 at 09:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement