U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2015, 07:19 AM

201 posts, read 189,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
Excellent posts Avalon08 & SUSMUSIC, thx for the updates!
Thank you bridgerider. It has been an adventure. There is a lot to do in making the transition but I think it is definitely worth it.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:38 AM

1,139 posts, read 793,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Well, I'm putting together plans for an epic road trip through Florida, Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky up to north central Indiana this spring. Now that I am retired, I am on a search for my next home. I am returning to where I spent my first 22 years - Indiana. Once I am out of Florida, I will be avoiding the interstates and driving on lesser traveled roads through the small towns and countryside of the abovementioned states.

This is a bit off-topic but I really enjoyed the book: Blue Highways by William Least Heat-Moon. It is the story of his travels on state and county roads for months....after his divorce. I will be sure to keep a journal on my trip.

his book: Blue Highways: A Journey into America: William Least Heat-Moon, William Least Heat Moon: 9780316353298: Amazon.com: Books

That IS an excellent book and one I read as we became empty nesters grappling with moving back to our home state vs. moving closer to kids vs. picking a random, new adventure :-)

Old 02-26-2015, 12:43 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,034,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Well, I'm putting together plans for an epic road trip through Florida, Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky up to north central Indiana this spring. Now that I am retired, I am on a search for my next home. I am returning to where I spent my first 22 years - Indiana. Once I am out of Florida, I will be avoiding the interstates and driving on lesser traveled roads through the small towns and countryside of the abovementioned states.

This is a bit off-topic but I really enjoyed the book: Blue Highways by William Least Heat-Moon. It is the story of his travels on state and county roads for months....after his divorce. I will be sure to keep a journal on my trip.

his book: http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Highways-.../dp/0316353299
Wow, I forgot about this book! Read it in the early 90s & yes, it was a great read. I don't really think it's that off-topic....one of the best ways to find a new place to land is by taking the back routes. I travel a lot for work; whenever I have time on the way back, I take the long way. It's how I've come to love Connecticut enough to put it on my list of retirement locations.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:54 PM

23 posts, read 32,719 times
Thank you!

Old 03-07-2015, 09:44 AM

7,983 posts, read 11,687,331 times
Has anyone put together a checklist of important things, pro's, cons etc.?
One thing that has come to mind is openness to new people.
One the one hand I don't feel that tourist areas sound like a good place to retire. On
the other hand places with tourists also tend to have a lot of retirees and when you
add that together you get a lot of new people looking for new friends.
More settled areas without a constant turn around of new people is going to be harder.
So that's been added to my list along with the standard weather, cost of living etc.

Old 03-07-2015, 02:01 PM

4,576 posts, read 7,075,448 times
I live in an area that is well known for tourism and that hasn't had any influence/benefit to me as far as making friends. Tourists just come in and leave. In my research, the thing about living where there are a lot of retirees is that generally they are couples and hang out with other couples. It'a true, older people who have lived in a place for awhile (even worse if born and raised) have their own kids, grandkids, etc. and seldom seek friendships outside their family circle. It's tough if you are single...I've come to the conclusion that I would just move to a place I really love and meets my other criteria. Making friends anywhere is hit and miss at best, but just know that you will make some. 3 of my good friends I met at my apartment complex. I do think that living in a more urban-like area or a decent sized city close by is better because you can always go out and get some social interaction, even if it's not at the friendship level.

Have you thought of Las Vegas?

Old 03-07-2015, 03:01 PM

7,983 posts, read 11,687,331 times
No, Las Vegas would not be a good fit for me.

The social thing, as someone single, no kids, little to no family and has moved around a lot is my biggest worry at this point. Well that and money.

I agree on the urban thing, but I don't like big cities. I've been thinking Traverse City. Although its too cold and gray for about 5 months of the year.

Old 03-07-2015, 03:14 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,964,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
No, Las Vegas would not be a good fit for me.

The social thing, as someone single, no kids, little to no family and has moved around a lot is my biggest worry at this point. Well that and money.

I agree on the urban thing, but I don't like big cities. I've been thinking Traverse City. Although its too cold and gray for about 5 months of the year.
Have you considered Grand Rapids, MI? Here is a video about the area:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 03-13-2015 at 08:14 AM..

Old 03-07-2015, 04:16 PM

4,576 posts, read 7,075,448 times
Maybe consider a vibrant college town? I think these towns would be good for someone single with no real family ties (which includes me)...lots of young people around rather than living around a lot of older (and probably married) folks. And they usually have lots of activities going on. Raleigh/Triangle area or Charlotte, NC might be a good fit for you and the COL is still pretty reasonable. Some people here have recommended Lafayette, Inc. (or West Lafayette) where Pursue University is located...Indiana is cheap to live. And it's close to Chicago if you really need a big city fix.

Old 03-07-2015, 04:26 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,964,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Maybe consider a vibrant college town? I think these towns would be good for someone single with no real family ties (which includes me)...lots of young people around rather than living around a lot of older (and probably married) folks. And they usually have lots of activities going on. Raleigh/Triangle area or Charlotte, NC might be a good fit for you and the COL is still pretty reasonable. Some people here have recommended Lafayette, Inc. (or West Lafayette) where Pursue University is located...Indiana is cheap to live. And it's close to Chicago if you really need a big city fix.
Yes, I am the one who has suggested Lafayette or West Lafayette, Indiana. It is my home town.... Purdue University is located in West Lafayette which is just across the Wabash River from Lafayette. I will be visiting the area this spring to look into moving back up there. There are lots of parks (state park, too) lots of historical sites, a really old downtown, vibrant, sports, antiques, cultural activities, art museums, festivals..... Plus the friendliness of Midwesterners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement