U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2015, 09:21 AM

19 posts, read 23,608 times

Advertisements

I have a traveling spirit in me, and now that I'm without a husband and my kids are pretty much on their own I am thinking of selling my big house and getting a decently equipped van and traveling for awhile. Then when I've satisfied my traveling jones, settling down in a cheap,warmish place and working part time til I feel the need to take off again. Cheap living is what I'm all about now, and I've got retirement funds for my future. I spent my childhood summers in a cabin with no plumbing or electricity, and I would like to take to the road and live a simple existence again, at least for awhile. There are forums and websites about this sort of thing, and I think there is a growing number of people who's kids are grown and responsibilities to other people are reduced to the point where we can start enjoying our freedom and start seeing some of this great country we live in! Not for everyone, but I am definitely ready to change gears and start doing some of the things that make me happy. Peace.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:26 AM

4,669 posts, read 3,246,905 times
Smile Relocation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
I think you're fine posting here. We are all coming to this thread for various reasons... but I'm sure many can relate. My friend's mom is 78 & relocated from NY to NC. She's fortunate in that she's great at making friends of all ages. Just a few yrs ago she was a restaurant hostess 2 nights a week. She didn't make much but for her it was a great way to socialize & meet new friends. She's also made some friends thru church & she volunteers a little at community events. I don't think it's EVER too late. You're only 73...will you be wondering the same thing at 83 or even 93? I know - easier said than done & I'm a big talker when it comes to others but a wimp when it comes to me, lol!! But think about it - we are all living longer - look at Betty White. Imo, our friends & family can visit us whenever they like as we can to them. I say, be open to the possibilities!!!
Thank you! I've always been good at making new friends. I had one incident in past couple of years when a woman who lives where I do suggested I was her dear friend. Well, I didn't do too well with that phrase and consequently we are not really friends anymore. I don't know how she was defining dear friend, but I took it to mean smothering. I guess I am too much of a free spirit and believe it's because I've been hurt too many times by "dear friends." But I do enjoy having friends. Does that make any sense?

I am glad you wrote about wondering when I'm 83 or 93. Still have some good years left and want to enjoy them as much as possible.

Thank you bridgerider.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:31 AM

4,669 posts, read 3,246,905 times
kjones575 I have felt like doing what you are talking about for a lot of my life. I have a wicked case of wanderlust but never had what I thought would be enough money to do it. I often thought I'd drive till I came to a small town, get a small job to pay for room and board for a while, and then take off again. Since I am retired I do have a constant income (not big), but I can count on it.
Thanks for posting. Nice to know there are others who feel the same thing.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:27 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,585 posts, read 39,962,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjones575 View Post
I have a traveling spirit in me, ...getting a decently equipped van and traveling for awhile. Then when I've satisfied my traveling jones, ... settling down in a cheap,warmish place and working part time til I feel the need to take off again. Cheap living is what I'm all about now, ... I spent my childhood summers in a cabin ... where we can start enjoying our freedom and start seeing some of this great country we live in! Not for everyone, but I am definitely ready to change gears and start doing some of the things that make me happy. Peace.
Here is my 'woman's Motorhome. ~ 18 - 20 MPG Welcome - Rialta Heaven - VW Eurovan Rialta Campers and Other Earth Friendly RVs My mom traded her 'Roadtrek' for a Rialta when her late husband had an amputation and needed a 'lower' vehicle (Rialta was EXCELLENT with a space for him to 'drive-in' his auto wheel chair and then scoot from Bed to front seat, and also to bath) No mods required. She is selling this yr, as last yr... at age 85 she bought new tires, but only took 2 small trips. It is EXCELLENT with under 50k miles and will go for ~$16k to a lucky buyer (I paid $25k for mine). ALL Rialta's require a $100 transmission cooler to save a $5,000 transmission replacement. (Rialta 'user group' available US wide for service / help. Same with Roadtrek. (Great choice)). What I LUV most...the outdoor shower and 'motoraid' HW heater (warms while you are driving).

Here is my recently acquired cabin in Hill Country TX (before renovation).
http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...n-frt-side.jpg

It comes with a rural 'view' home (that is rented for positive cash flow = FREE living for me).
Also adding RV hookups and showers / bath / laundry for my 'friends' (note the 'public picnic area and shared deck for entertaining!') 20 / 30 deer / day pass through, as well as resident roadrunners / skunks and coons. (pond on-site).
http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...se-outdoor.jpg
http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...house-rear.jpg

I have these Rural / cabin / RV locations in PNW (excellent 'cool' summers), and in TX (nice sunny winters... and today beautiful bluebonnets!), adding Colorado and NE TN for 'shoulder season' / Aspen colors and fall colors)).

Cheap living is what I'm all about now, These properties were each acquired for under / near $100k, so I am not a 'BIG spender!
...and rented for $1,000/ month to very understanding and HAPPY tenants... (who care for / mow / weed / fix / maintain / and feed the 'resident' (and very happy) pets!). They get semi-annual 'rebates' for their attention to details! Eventually I will sell these places. Probably to the tenants and I will carry the contract (for income).

travel...where we can start enjoying our freedom
This is how I prefer to travel ... $10 - $20 / night worldwide. (Been doing it for 25+ yrs). The hosts / MAKE all my trips very special.
Hospitality exchange - Wikitravel

I travel via / fly drive cheaper than staying home!
$10/ day rental cars $3/ day food (Grocery) $10/ night lodging. FUEL is the expense!, (but free when I use my 50 mpg 'grease cars').

unlike U... after 45yrs in an excellent job in private workforce... I DON"T have "funds for my retirement" / no pension / no healthcare. (thanks to EX 'most powerful woman in business' and now a 'presidential candidate'...). so... any ideas appreciated.

Plan forward (and current) is 'self-insured' & joining the 750,000 USA residents and 3m worldwide for Medi-vacations ..
Medical tourism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Medical Tourism | Features | CDC
Patients Beyond Borders | The most trusted resource in medical travel
Medical Tourism Gets a Facelift... and Perhaps a Pacemaker - Forbes

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 03-30-2015 at 09:07 PM..

Old 03-31-2015, 05:21 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,028,649 times
Excellent info StealthRabbit!!

Old 03-31-2015, 05:30 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,028,649 times
I should also add for the posters out there worried about being a "single" amongst couples...I don't believe that's as prevalent as one would think. And it may even lead you to meeting a significant other if you're looking. A friend of mine winters in Pompano Beach, FL & her complex is a fairly even mix of singles & couples. She is making more friends every year - some stay six months, some 3 or 4, some live there year round. She is very active in ladies-only events as well as dances & parties where both couples & singles enjoy. If that's a concern of yours (being a single in a sea of twosomes), maybe mention that to a realtor when looking & they can guide you a bit. But that wouldn't sway me one bit. I think there will always be those couples "attached at the hip"...but I don't think they are the majority.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:24 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,590,445 times
Have lived in hot, cold, and damp climates that each had their pluses otherwise. But these days it's all about the weather and little or no traffic! And California seems to enjoy just about the best weather year-round of anywhere in the country, with rural NorCal & the Sierra foothills having the added percs of abundant natural beauty, relatively uncrowded highways, and (still) affordable real estate… which all works out just fine for me!

Old 04-01-2015, 09:51 AM

6,125 posts, read 9,083,586 times
Mateo: Where in NorCal and Sierra foothills? Please add some info to your post. It sounds great and if it's affordable, I am out of here !!!!

Old 04-01-2015, 10:24 AM

4,574 posts, read 7,060,700 times
I live in CA too and please keep in mind, there's affordable and "California" affordable...it's not just the housing, but gasoline, car registrations, CA taxes pension/annuity type income, high sales tax. All this should factored in before considering moving here. There are usually good reasons why areas are still "cheap" to live but I'm sure they can be found.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:57 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,590,445 times
Not looking to 'sell' California by any means (actually it pretty well sells itself …lol)! But had lived here many moons ago before returnng, and have also lived a bunch of other places in-between, including abroad, at least enough to realize what was important to me, once I didn't have to worry about a job.

So this is a huge state, with actually a lot of choices beyond the typical "megalopoli" of say, SoCal and the Bay area, which even surprisingly few 'natives' have ever ventured beyond. It also has a lot of 'reputation', some justified (like the abundant & diverse natural beauty), while others not so much (like the rightwing noise about being too "librul" and "over-taxed").

For example here in rural central NorCal (close to Chico), you'll see no shortage of "Nobama", "tea party" and 'State of Jefferson' bumper stickers. Although thanks to Prop. 13, I also now pay way less in property taxes (and on larger property), than I did in WA State (with BTW, no state income tax there). Local sales tax here is also less (7.5%), and Cali doesn't tax S/S and certain other retirement income (including most of mine).

Of course everyone's situation and 'druthers' are different, or as they say, your local mileage may vary!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement