U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2015, 08:21 PM

4,573 posts, read 7,057,201 times

Advertisements

I thought that's where you had in mind! I've heard Sacramento is still pretty reasonable COL for California.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:32 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,587,339 times
^ ^ Yup, although one of the several 'tradeoffs' there, as with any large urban area these days, is gonna be the ferocious traffic (at least compared to what I've become used to here, about 90 minutes further north of Sacramento). Not to mention that general sort of competitive "edge" that seems to go with nearly all urban life now ("gotta hurry up and grab that parking space!"), to the point we almost take it for granted.

In fact that seems like the most essential part of any relocation, is figuring out what's really the most important to you. Because nuthin's ever 'free', and every place is gonna have some kinda major tradeoffs (traffic, crime, weather, economy, real estate, politics, local culture, shopping, whatever). So what do you really want at this point… and what are you willing to give up in exchange?

Old 04-01-2015, 10:10 PM

356 posts, read 277,343 times
My dad is retired can he purchase and use what he get's from his social to make mortgage payments?

Old 04-02-2015, 03:55 AM

16,349 posts, read 10,334,620 times
sure.

It's his money.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:47 AM

4,573 posts, read 7,057,201 times
yeah, I've been researching places to retire for a good 10+ years now. When I started I was sure I would retire to New England area (which I love) but now that I've aged, I have to accept that I doubt I could handle those brutal winters as I get older. And the COL isn't all that attrative anyway.

Once of the things I need to decide is mountains vs. ocean (or neither), but I know I need to be near water of some kind. My biggest issue is housing costs. But it's been an interesting process and with the rents rising so drastically in SoCal, I'll probably need to make a decision within the next year or so.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:13 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,555 posts, read 39,934,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
One of the things I need to decide is mountains vs. ocean (or neither), but I know I need to be near water of some kind. My biggest issue is housing costs. ...
I have retired CA friends that still love Baja Mexico for affordable Ocean in good climate. (they continue to say it is safe)

Plenty of 'water' in we_tside of PNW... 120" from the sky / yr, and a HUGE river! You can still get decent homes for under $150k, mobile homes for under $50k.

After yrs on the left coast AND old age... , I can't imagine I would be able to do humidity of SE USA.

I will keep Columbia and Ecuador on the list (mtns and ocean + decent climate and low cost). I have friends in both, and they love it.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:31 AM

4,969 posts, read 3,455,934 times
I've decided to stay in Minnesota for now. Applied for and was accepted at senior housing & rent will be based on 1/3 of income, less $400 so it will not be much. Utilities are included & cable is $13 month, so it will just be internet & phone that is any real expense.

I had to take a small 1 bedroom on the first floor although there was a larger 2 bedroom on the 2nd, because I couldn't imagine how to get groceries up to the 2nd. Even with a chair lift I would be exhausted by the time I got everything in.

I don't have a lot so it will be just fine. Cozy & comfortable.

I also met quite a few of the ladies who came out to see the new person. Very friendly. I think I will like it there.

Old 04-03-2015, 03:48 AM

16,349 posts, read 10,334,620 times
Liking it is as important as cost.

Sounds like you hit a home run on both.

Old 04-03-2015, 04:49 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,732,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I've decided to stay in Minnesota for now. Applied for and was accepted at senior housing & rent will be based on 1/3 of income, less $400 so it will not be much. Utilities are included & cable is $13 month, so it will just be internet & phone that is any real expense.

I had to take a small 1 bedroom on the first floor although there was a larger 2 bedroom on the 2nd, because I couldn't imagine how to get groceries up to the 2nd. Even with a chair lift I would be exhausted by the time I got everything in.

I also met quite a few of the ladies who came out to see the new person. Very friendly. I think I will like it there.
Sounds wonderful. I would imagine that "utilities included" is a big factor with winter heating costs in Minnesota.

Old 04-03-2015, 06:16 AM

3,745 posts, read 4,216,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post

I'm curious. I didn't know that senior housing would allow a single occupant to rent a 2 bedroom. Do you know if the subsidy would be the same, i.e. 1/3 of income?

How old is this place? No elevator but there's a chairlift? Huh.

It's great that utilities are included. It certainly makes it easier to budget and keep a bit more cash in your pocket.

Congratulations !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement