U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2015, 02:30 PM

4,480 posts, read 4,741,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Drive down to Floyd and have these women make you one:
Blue Ridge Yurts - Home Page

Great site. Thanks!

Old 04-05-2015, 08:01 PM
mlb

3,179 posts, read 2,854,709 times
The estimate median home value of the places we are looking to retire/build in in California is about $311K.

Do not believe the hype.

And while I do believe the water situation is serious..... it's serious for the entire Western US - California is the only brave state to admit it - lookin' at YOU Nevada and Utah.....

I lived in California during the last water shortage. Same restrictions and dire warnings. Matter of fact - Same Governor. We did ration and save... They need to start fining people and industries - post haste.

I believe it's cyclical. Water will return to California. We just need to be conscientious always.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:35 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,587,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
The estimate median home value of the places we are looking to retire/build in in California is about $311K.

Do not believe the hype.

And while I do believe the water situation is serious..... it's serious for the entire Western US - California is the only brave state to admit it - lookin' at YOU Nevada and Utah.....

I lived in California during the last water shortage. Same restrictions and dire warnings. Matter of fact - Same Governor. We did ration and save... They need to start fining people and industries - post haste.

I believe it's cyclical. Water will return to California. We just need to be conscientious always.
And for folks who are fundamentally afraid to move or make significant changes in their lives, they're always gonna find a "reason" regardless.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:11 PM

10,460 posts, read 5,924,770 times
Our plan is to move to a less expensive place at retirement. It never crossed my mind that we won't do it together but there is always the chance that my wife dies before we move. To be honest that scared the crap out of me, never really gave it a lot of thought but it's reality that it could happen. So yeah moving away from home is hard enough, I admire those who do it alone.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:51 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,027,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
And for folks who are fundamentally afraid to move or make significant changes in their lives, they're always gonna find a "reason" regardless.
I had to revisit the term fundamentally...I was sure I knew what it meant but wondered what the difference is between being "afraid to move"; and "fundamentally afraid to move"... At any rate, yeah, I suspect I could possibly fall into that trap. I've had some regrets in my life; made some mistakes; the 'coulda shoulda woulda' haunts me. It wouldn't be as easy to financially recover this time if a move turned out to be the wrong one. My goal is to make the reasons to move more important than the reasons to stay.

I admire people who don't have that fear. Or maybe it's just that they have the finances to absorb the mistake. Beats me.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:20 PM

^ ^ I hear 'ya, and sometimes it ain't about money, as much as ignorance, blind faith, and just plain dumb luck often help to "absorb" any of those mistakes (lol)!

Though to be sure, making a major relocation at this stage in life is obviously not as easy as when we were much younger. But by the same token, IMHO, being that much more aware of our "mortality" now, perhaps should make us value even more, the choices where (and how) we wish to spend what's left of it!

Old 04-06-2015, 06:45 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,027,432 times
LOL...I will gladly take some of that dumb luck! Lord knows I got the ignorance!

Yes, life has certainly made me aware of my own mortality. The clock is ticking.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:08 PM

^ ^ Well, if it helps, a close call with cancer a few years ago kinda helped give me a "wake-up call" about my own mortality and "priorities". And the advice of an old friend also helped, who's a long time hunter and usually takes an annual trip abroad to some exotic private game reserve in Africa, Argentina, Alaska, wherever. He said he'll often see these old duffers waiting in these out-of-the-way airports on the tarmac, taking what's obviously the trip of a lifetime… except they're doing it when they have health problems and can hardly enjoy it. The point being, whatever you wanna do, do it now, 'cuz there's no telling about "tomorrow"!

Old 04-07-2015, 06:29 AM

1,924 posts, read 988,551 times
It's much easier to move to a new place if you did not like the old place. I was stuck in my husband's home town. It never occurred to me not to move after he died. He was my only reason for being there.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:03 PM

19 posts, read 23,560 times
Right on! I would rather keep seeking and make mistakes along the way than stagnate here the rest of my life out of fear of making a mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement