U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2015, 10:02 AM

4,574 posts, read 7,059,483 times

Advertisements

Hi there...good to see you here again...yes I'm still here in CA! After I retired, I decided to stay put for a year to adjust (which I had no problem doing) and see how my retirement budget would hold up and what I can really afford. So far, pretty good, there have been some "unexpected" expenses, which come along for everybody. I thought I might be able to stay here for quite a while, but because the rent prices here are skyrocketing right now, I have to start taking the move seriously again. I always knew it would happen at some point but looks like it will be sooner rather than later. I'm hoping my rent increase this year will be reasonable but I'll have to make it work so I can have at least one more year here to check out some places and see what happens. The housing market here is really going crazy (houses and rentals) and the demand is very high., never seen anything like it in all the years I've lived here.

I think Virginia, as much as I love it, is pretty much priced out for me, at least in the areas I would like to live...as rents are rising all over the country. So I'm back to square one and want to stay open minded and realistic about the whole thing. But that's OK, I'll take a fresh look at things. I do know now that I wouldn't want to live in a rural area or one that's too isolated. Any place with really brutal cold weather has pretty much been eliminated from my list too...so I guess I've made some progress I'm actually even considering the area around where you live!

Old 04-10-2015, 04:56 PM

200 posts, read 188,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
After 16 months on MLS, my Oregon country place finally has a contract and, if all goes well, will close by the end of May ! YAY !! Sarasota/Venice FLORIDA is my choice for relocation Anyone here from that area ?? I look forward to making some new friends and meet-up with some of the cyber friends from this amazing long-time thread
Hi,

I actually moved here to Sarasota, Florida last December, 2014. So far, it has been great. It is a big adjustment but things are starting to work out. I think this city has a lot to offer. One thing that I did was to rent instead of buying a place. That way, you can familiarize yourself with the area.

Sarasota has the beach, but there are many other things to do; museums, art, parks and gardens, to name a few. Overall, It has been an adjustment, but overall, I am happy to have moved here.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:06 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,059,483 times
SUS, would you want to share the general area where you moved from (Ok if you don't) and what are the rent rates like in Sarasota? thanks!

Old 04-11-2015, 09:26 AM
mlb

3,180 posts, read 2,856,112 times
What is Sperling, if I may ask?

/never mind - I googled.

Don't see it as competiton for here....

Old 04-11-2015, 10:26 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,975,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
What is Sperling, if I may ask?

/never mind - I googled.

Don't see it as competiton for here....
I've seen several posts in the past deleted b/c of reference to Sperling.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:30 AM

4,481 posts, read 4,743,078 times
Anyone know how recent/updated Sperling is?

Old 04-11-2015, 10:57 AM

6,954 posts, read 7,392,568 times
I looked up Wilmington & got 2014 stats.

Very different from CD.

Old 04-11-2015, 07:35 PM

25,329 posts, read 41,430,098 times
Please, lets stay on topic.

The Terms of Service specifically state: "Stay on topic. Attempts to hi-jack threads by switching topics or going off topic will be deleted and infractions issued. This is not a chat room - when people hi-jack threads by posting messages that are of interest to only few people, the threads often stop being useful discussions of initial topics."

The title of this thread is "Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?"

The Terms Of Service (TOS) which you agreed to when you registered are here: Terms Of Service

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 05-27-2015 at 12:34 PM..

Old 04-12-2015, 01:44 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,028,074 times
I have felt this way for some time now;but after recent events in the news, I have made one promise to myself that I will not break: No matter where I finally move to, I WILL NOT LIVE IN AN HOA NEIGHBORHOOD!!

A neighbor of mine & his wife moved up here from Long Island to be closer to their children. He hates the winter, but can afford to get way for a few weeks here and there. We were talking about the search he & his wife made, and the pros and cons of an HOA. He said for what they would have paid in HOA dues, he instead uses that money to hire out any job he's not able to do himself. Plus it helps to have a neighborhood like ours where kids are looking for pocket money in exchange for snow shoveling or raking leaves etc.

This week I will be looking at central CT. Close enough to the beach; close to the hills; close to NYC & Boston if I need big city diversion now & then. A few homes on the web priced btwn 165-190k...we shall see.

Old 04-12-2015, 06:18 PM

200 posts, read 188,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
SUS, would you want to share the general area where you moved from (Ok if you don't) and what are the rent rates like in Sarasota? thanks!
Hi,

I moved from outside of Philadelphia, PA. (Montgomery County, to be exact). The rents vary a lot here in Sarasota, depending on what area you are in. I know that, generally, the rents are increasing. I found when I was apartment hunting last summer, that many of the apartment complexes had waiting lists. It seems that there is an apartment shortage here; particularly with moderately priced ones.

Maybe it might help to research online. I made a list of the affordable complexes based on reviews. Then I made a trip down to actually visit these places. Most of them had waiting lists. I waited 3 months before I got called for a vacancy. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement