U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2015, 07:39 AM

205 posts, read 360,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
After 16 months on MLS, my Oregon country place finally has a contract and, if all goes well, will close by the end of May ! YAY !! Sarasota/Venice FLORIDA is my choice for relocation Anyone here from that area ?? I look forward to making some new friends and meet-up with some of the cyber friends from this amazing long-time thread
Fingers crossed everything goes according to plan I'm here and look forward to finally meeting up. After all these years on this thread (even in the original old days) you are my success story!

Old 04-13-2015, 11:48 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,609,307 times
Default Karcon ~ I agree !

Quote:
Originally Posted by karcon View Post
Fingers crossed everything goes according to plan I'm here and look forward to finally meeting up. After all these years on this thread (even in the original old days) you are my success story!
THANKS; I look forward to meeting you also ! There is another success story with Fairwinds ~ I met her in person when I visited WA state.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:39 AM

10,464 posts, read 5,935,374 times
Not sure if this has been discussed over the 700 pages or not but is there a concern about who will take care of you near the end if you relocated? We have no kids and are considering a relocation. Sooner or later one of us will die. Even if we end up in a new place for 15 years it's unrealistic to expect our new friends to offer to care for us. The thought of being alone in a nursing home 500 miles from "home" scares the crap out of me.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:56 AM

4,484 posts, read 4,746,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Not sure if this has been discussed over the 700 pages or not but is there a concern about who will take care of you near the end if you relocated? We have no kids and are considering a relocation. Sooner or later one of us will die. Even if we end up in a new place for 15 years it's unrealistic to expect our new friends to offer to care for us. The thought of being alone in a nursing home 500 miles from "home" scares the crap out of me.

If you are going to be in another place for 15yrs then wouldn't you be developing relationships with people? Establish medical relationships, contact Social services as you age to see what is available to the elderly whether home or not? Dying alone, as in it could happen at any time, is not uncommon but you could plan to be somewhere sooner rather than later. I think this also speaks to how comfortable/uncomfortable you/people are in just being alone. Personally, I live alone and am not afraid of being alone or dying alone...like if I drop in my apt. It's life, is what it is. It's about what choices you make.

If it frightens you so much then make plans for yourself.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:45 PM

6,125 posts, read 9,088,474 times
Dave: I think, if you relocate, choose a fairly large city that has services for elderly available. Many have nursing agencies that can provide homemaker services or aids at home for you. Help at home may be all you need. Also, assisted living facilities meet this need too. If you live in a senior complex, there is usually some social worker services that can help you find what you need. A live in person or a roommate is another solution. There are many older people in the same boat as you. And there are many like myself, who do not want to ask kids to take on the burden of care. We are all "alone" in one way or another.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:17 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,612 posts, read 39,986,663 times
Quote:
...it's unrealistic to expect our new friends to offer to care for us. The thought of being alone in a nursing home 500 miles from "home" scares the crap out of me.
1) new friends will be fine (and possible better)
2) You will not be alone (volunteer with hospice or similar when you arrive, even Meals on wheels / senior services)
3) Many resources (as per above)
4) Consider a Senior housing co-op (relationship centric people and housing configuration)
5) Build bridges with others (help them / potlucks / do service projects for the needy in the community)
6) Being without kids gives you a lot of unique benefits and perspective. (use this to your advantage)

Have a great time! / no worries about this issue, you will succeed in this!

Old 04-17-2015, 08:32 AM

10,464 posts, read 5,935,374 times
Thanks for the replies. I am very outgoing, I have no doubt I will be able to make a new network of friends. But making friends and asking them to care for me in my last years are 2 different things.

Not a fan of the big city. Having grown up in the burbs of Washington DC I like it out here in the country just fine. The area we are looking at is Johnson City TN, a mid sized town of about 80,000 with neighboring towns of about that size. Pretty sure they will have services for the elderly.

Thanks again for the reassuring words. See you on the golf course!

Old 04-18-2015, 10:21 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,612 posts, read 39,986,663 times
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. ... The area we are looking at is Johnson City TN, ... See you on the golf course!
while in the area... Check into Greeneville, TN. We have regular 'retired' hosts there, (hospitality Guest homes) as well as nearby Elizabethton, and Jonesborough.

I am partial to Gray, TN and Kingsport (many folks don't like the 'factory-town' image of Kingsport), but it has some superb senior services and facilities. (and farmer's market)

There will be plenty of good friends, but seek to find the community that you FIT WELL with. (Why I stay with locals to get the inside scoop on the communities, and to get invited to events within my interest level that I will pursue when I relocate).

LauraC seems to like Oak Ridge, and I concur that it is a nice vibrant retirement community. I stay with hosts in Harriman and a gorgeous 200 yr old cabin on the lake near Kingston .
wikitravel.org/en/Hospitality_exchange

Old 04-20-2015, 05:34 AM

1,321 posts, read 836,592 times
Hello to all of you! I'm new to these forums, and I found the forums while trying to find information about relocating to Tucson! I've lived in NW Indiana all of my life. This past winter (Chicago ties 140 yr record for coldest February, February 2015 now city's 3rd snowiest, and Blizzard is the fifth largest) has convinced me that it's time to retire and relocate elsewhere. I never want to hear the words "expect lake effect snow" again!

Though I haven't been to many parts of our beautiful country outside of the Midwest, I have been to Arizona, Wyoming, California and Florida. I fell in love with the Grand Tetons in my teens but the idea of a winter there lol Definitely would like to visit there again. Will be relocating on a limited budget: SSA and a very very small pension, so California is out of the question.

From my visits to Arizona and Florida, I really enjoyed Arizona more and preferred that climate. Did research on most affordable rental cities and *bing* there were areas in Florida and Arizona. So I'm doing a lot of research on relocating to Tucson.

I've only looked through about the last 20 pages or so of this thread but I didn't see any posts about Tucson. Has anyone else relocated there recently? How do you like it? Did you decide to go with a "community" or go it alone?

Looking forward to reading much, much more

Old 04-20-2015, 06:12 AM

1,321 posts, read 836,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Well, I'm putting together plans for an epic road trip through Florida, Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky up to north central Indiana this spring. Now that I am retired, I am on a search for my next home. I am returning to where I spent my first 22 years - Indiana. Once I am out of Florida, I will be avoiding the interstates and driving on lesser traveled roads through the small towns and countryside of the abovementioned states.

This is a bit off-topic but I really enjoyed the book: Blue Highways by William Least Heat-Moon. It is the story of his travels on state and county roads for months....after his divorce. I will be sure to keep a journal on my trip.

his book: Blue Highways: A Journey into America: William Least Heat-Moon, William Least Heat Moon: 9780316353298: Amazon.com: Books
How did your trip go? I saw from another post of yours that you were from the Lafayette area which is a beautiful area. When the kids were little, I took them to the Feast of the Hunter's Moon several times. Daughter attended Butler, but son attended Ball State and I hated driving into Indy to turn around and head north again so I often took the lesser traveled roads to Ball State from NW Indiana. It's fun to see different areas off the beaten path! Of course Interstate 65 was being worked on a lot and that helped to influence my back roads decision lol

Can't help but ask, did you ever read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" ? It chronicles a 17-day motorcycle ride from MN to No. CA.

Unlike you, I'm heading away from the Indiana snow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement