U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2015, 06:34 PM

2,627 posts, read 4,956,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I have news for you: Friends are NOT going to care for us, and even for those who have adult kids, probably forget it! Siblings too! Most of us will be on our own, wherever we land. We need to understand that is most likely the case, and move without fear.
My parents moved down to be near me. My father died within 18 months of their move. My mother lived 8 more years. I took care of her.... she no longer drove, etc. I was happy to do it. I can't imagine doing anything other than that.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Popcorn, do you think you'll retire there? As I had said, my friends (not yet retired) who moved there from here for professional reasons love it.
I will be checking it out next month I am hoping that I still like it and will move back up there, but I need to see it again. I will be there for 8 days.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:40 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,991,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
My parents moved down to be near me. My father died within 18 months of their move. My mother lived 8 more years. I took care of her.... she no longer drove, etc. I was happy to do it. I can't imagine doing anything other than that.
Well, I'm with you on this one, as you may know from my other posts. Our boomer generation seems more willing and able to care for our elders.

For us boomers now, siblings are probably close to our age or older, and not likely to be in any shape to "care" for us (I don't mean care about us). Our adult kids are likely to either live far from us or have their hands overly full with work and/or childrearing or both, rendering them unable to care for us. Friends? I think that is highly unlikely. Many if not most are near our own age and will not be able to physically care for us or run us around on errands when we and they get past a certain age and/or ability. Seems like a different world today.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:48 PM

I have a couple friends who have helped elderly people with their needs. Turned out that both people ended up getting a part of the estate from their elderly friends. It worked out good for the elderly in need, and their 'assistants' who provided help and guidance.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:03 PM

230 posts, read 191,611 times
Quote:
I will be checking it out next month I am hoping that I still like it and will move back up there, but I need to see it again. I will be there for 8 days.
Popcorn247, I'm looking forward to your review of West Lafayette. Besides hearing about the city, I'll be interested in what you can share about the weather. How does the heat and humidity compare to other places you've lived?

Old 04-23-2015, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenah View Post
Popcorn247, I'm looking forward to your review of West Lafayette. Besides hearing about the city, I'll be interested in what you can share about the weather. How does the heat and humidity compare to other places you've lived?
Here is a link to a number of videos about the area:
Visit Lafayette-West Lafayette, Indiana

I've lived in south Florida for 40+ years. The heat and humidity down here lasts about 6-7 months! Indiana is the only other place I've lived. Sure there were some humid, warm days up north but the weather would cool down and be less humid. It NEVER cools down in south Florida in the summer.

There is also a great love of history in the area. This is a wonderful festival that takes place in the fall
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFqEB_pnYkU

Last edited by popcorn247; 04-23-2015 at 04:53 AM.. Reason: added content

Old 04-23-2015, 07:38 AM

1,322 posts, read 837,779 times
Quote:
I am looking for:
An area centrally located in the U.S. - easier to make road trips.
An area with opportunities for culture and education - near a university.
An area with parks, natural areas in close proximity for exploring, hiking
An area with volunteer opportunities - I would love to work with animals and or plants
An area with sports activities - for watching and participating
An area that celebrates and appreciates its history
I know I'm quoting a post of yours from over a year ago, but trying to read through the older posts! You mentioned that you would start traveling from FL this May and I thought of a couple of places you might like to explore.

I once visited Greencastle, IN to see a cousin and because my aunt was moved into a medical facility there. It was very beautiful there, very small population (+10k) and it's home to DePauw Univ. Sorry but I don't really know much other than what I've stated.

Also you might like Zanesville, OH. I have ancestors from that area, particularly from the Putnam (historical) area that was absorbed into Zanesville. It's also on the small population (+25k) side but it has 3 college/universities. About 30 years ago, I took a "pilgrimage" there with my mom and an aunt to visit the original birthplace of our ancestor which is now a historical museum. We also visited the graveyard to view the original family last resting place. Many of these were obelisks which I had never seen before. I thought it was a really pretty place and think you might enjoy a visit there.

Dee

PS I'm bound and determined to read this whole thread! What amazing group of people who have posted their insights! Thanks to all of you for sharing

Last edited by Deelighted; 04-23-2015 at 07:38 AM.. Reason: spelling!

Old 04-23-2015, 01:56 PM

4,683 posts, read 3,254,622 times
Default Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
First time posters like the above?? Now what was he/she trying to say?
Welcome NY to NC Gal. I agree. Attitude is everything and when my brain tries to tell me I can't do it cause I am too old, I tell it to be quiet and then think good thoughts. BTW my initial plan was to move to NC and after ALOT of research, I discarded that plan. Where in NC are you headed???

Thank you PhxBarb: I'm going to Winston Salem, NC in September 2015.

What made you decide against moving to NC and did you move somewhere else? If so, where and how do you like it??

Thanks!

Old 04-23-2015, 01:59 PM

4,683 posts, read 3,254,622 times
Default Hello:

Quote:

What part of NC?
Moving to Winston Salem, NC in September 2015.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:39 PM

1,322 posts, read 837,779 times
Well now that I have made my decision to relocate I'm getting very itchy feet! I want to go now and not wait It also doesn't help that almost daily I hear a commercial jingle that is using the Animals' song, "We've got to get out of this place." The rest of the song goes through my mind, especially "girl, there's a better life for you and me" every time I hear it!

Today while I was rereading a favorite series, this jumped out at me:
Quote:
"Turning from one's dreams is a greater death than failing to reach them. A far worse death. . .for one experiences it each day anew." L.E. Modesitt, Jr. Magi'i of Cyador
But...my finances aren't quite ready yet. Want to get the car completely paid for and need to save up the deposit, first month rent and traveling funds. So like so many here before me, I'm in a temporary holding pattern.

Still working on reading this entire thread. So many wonderful thoughts you have all shared. May all of your dreams come true!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement