U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-23-2015, 02:58 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,623 posts, read 9,694,429 times
Reputation: 11007

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
I'm a retired woman, 73, divorced for many years, live alone with my cat, currently in central NY. Lots of ups and downs over the years; made up my mind recently it's going to be all "ups" from now on. It really is how you think. I have moved a lot over the years, furthest being to Tyler, TX in 1993 (returned 13 months later). Long boring story, won't detail it, but lost a really good retirement from it.
Too many ghosts in NY these days (not necessarily from the cemetery).....miserable times and lousy memories are right around the corner.
Moving in September 2015 to NC and so excited about it. I don't have great retirement money but have gotten by with what I have for a pretty long time in NY state.
The mountains fascinate me and if I feel like it, I can drive a distance to visit the ocean. Not a beach person, but on occasion do like to be there.
As long as I have good health, have a positive outlook, have faith in God and myself, I can do it.
I'm a NOT retired woman, 72, also divorced for many years...18 next month...and live alone with my two cats. Usually. My niece is with me at present for another month.

I think life is all about ups and downs. We'd all love to be on the upswing all the time, and might if left to our own devices, but other people/happenings/things come along and down we go. I have started over from scratch so many times in my life I consider myself a pro now...lol It sounds like you are just ready for a new beginning. I've moved so many times over my lifetime and only ONCE because it was some place that I wanted to live. Every move I've ever made was for someone else's reasons, whatever they were, starting with my dad. The farthest was Fairbanks, AK in 1991.

I'm not a beach person either but I love my mountains. Don't know why except there's a big one in the 'backyard' of my hometown and I grew up seeing it, playing on it, traveling over it, etc.. I like to live where I can see mountains.

Yes, you can do it. If I can just about anyone can!

 
Old 04-23-2015, 03:13 PM
 
Location: Prescott AZ
6,130 posts, read 9,093,524 times
Reputation: 11545
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Thank you PhxBarb: I'm going to Winston Salem, NC in September 2015.

What made you decide against moving to NC and did you move somewhere else? If so, where and how do you like it??

Thanks!
I did like NC and for a while, had plans to go. Then I got cold feet. Then I got sick, Then I had my first hip replacement and then I decided the traffic and the houses in Raleigh were not what I wanted. I wanted a senior "sorta" community with lots of activities and people who were friendly, but not Del Webb or Sun City anything. I wanted to be near a university, also near an Osher campus, with 4 seasons, little snow, low taxes, and alot of things to do without alot of driving. (Here you have to drive everywhere). Phoenix is one very big sprawl and I now realize I am not a desert person. I want to go back to Midwest gardening, without actually being in the midwest.

I have a high school friend (we graduated in '60) who LOVES Bella Vista in AR, and has urged me to go stay with her and look at everything. She is never bored. This has been going on for 2 years now, and after I recover from this second hip replacement, I am going to visit her. I truly think this might be the place for me.
 
Old 04-23-2015, 06:21 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,991,724 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post

I have a high school friend (we graduated in '60) who LOVES Bella Vista in AR, and has urged me to go stay with her and look at everything. She is never bored. This has been going on for 2 years now, and after I recover from this second hip replacement, I am going to visit her. I truly think this might be the place for me.
PhxBarb, FWIW, I really liked living in the Midwest, and bringing up the kids there. It's middle of the road, not too extreme in anything (well, maybe a tornado or two, but you have to balance that against freezing winters, earthquakes, fires, and all the rest). In the total of eight years we lived in the Midwest, only two tornados with no direct hit. Up here in NewEngland, I've experienced two tornados (unpredicted). Just make sure you have a basement.
 
Old 04-24-2015, 01:44 AM
 
Location: Cochise County, AZ
1,322 posts, read 837,779 times
Reputation: 2874
Popcorn, I see you added a youtube link to the Feast of the Hunter's Moon! Oh how my kids and even my parents enjoyed attending that festival. We started attending in the early 90's and went many times over 2 decades. Oh how I'm now craving a frofar bridie and of course those apple dumplings! I'd fill the van with people and we enjoyed the beautiful fall foliage on I-65 on our hour drive there
 
Old 04-24-2015, 06:17 AM
 
2,627 posts, read 4,956,557 times
Reputation: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Popcorn, I see you added a youtube link to the Feast of the Hunter's Moon! Oh how my kids and even my parents enjoyed attending that festival. We started attending in the early 90's and went many times over 2 decades. Oh how I'm now craving a frofar bridie and of course those apple dumplings! I'd fill the van with people and we enjoyed the beautiful fall foliage on I-65 on our hour drive there
I worked at the Feast during my Senior year at Purdue. We made and sold apple cider. The Feast of the Hunter's Moon is one of the reasons I want to move back up there. The area has such a love and reverence for history.
 
Old 04-24-2015, 06:35 AM
 
Location: Cochise County, AZ
1,322 posts, read 837,779 times
Reputation: 2874
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Moving in September 2015 to NC and so excited about it. I don't have great retirement money but have gotten by with what I have for a pretty long time in NY state.
Have you purchased a place to live or rent? Are you doing a short-term rental while you decide? Inquiring minds wanna know

Congrats on the upcoming move!
 
Old 04-25-2015, 07:52 AM
 
Location: Central NY
4,682 posts, read 3,254,622 times
Reputation: 11987
Thumbs up Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Have you purchased a place to live or rent? Are you doing a short-term rental while you decide? Inquiring minds wanna know

Congrats on the upcoming move!
I plan to rent when I move. Have been a renter for over 20 years and it works for me. I like the idea when something goes wrong, I only have to make a phone call and someone shows up and takes care of the problem.

I have scoured the internet looking and looking for information that I thought would help me get an idea of the area I want to move to. I've visited the area in October and plan another trip in a couple of weeks. When I was there in October I got an Apartment Guide book that showed me a lot of apartments. And of course there is all kinds of info on the internet for apartments. I decided on one in Winston Salem that I have an appointment to visit during next visit. Price was right, pet policy suited my cat, area seemed pretty decent. Depending on what I see in a couple of weeks I'll do a 12-month or 6-month lease. Have to start somewhere.

I'm really excited about this new phase of my life. I'm determined to enjoy it, get as much joy from it as I possibly can, and also have an attitude that if something goes wrong, it's not the end of the world. I can recover, as I have so many times in the past.

Good luck to you, also!
 
Old 04-25-2015, 11:57 AM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,991,724 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
I'm really excited about this new phase of my life. I'm determined to enjoy it, get as much joy from it as I possibly can, and also have an attitude that if something goes wrong, it's not the end of the world. I can recover, as I have so many times in the past.
You probably stated it earlier, but curious to know why Winston Salem? do you know anyone there already?

NC is such a varied state. I liked Hillsborough and Carrboro. Western NC seemed too remote to me, esp in terms of getting back here for visits. I would like to have gone to W-S, but didn't get a chance to.
 
Old 04-25-2015, 04:30 PM
 
Location: Central NY
4,682 posts, read 3,254,622 times
Reputation: 11987
Default Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
You probably stated it earlier, but curious to know why Winston Salem? do you know anyone there already?

NC is such a varied state. I liked Hillsborough and Carrboro. Western NC seemed too remote to me, esp in terms of getting back here for visits. I would like to have gone to W-S, but didn't get a chance to.
Process of elimination. Checking cost of living, what W-S has to offer, found a nice apartment complex I'm going to check out in a few weeks while visiting. I'm really crazy about the mountains. No, I'm not a climber. It's their majesty, beauty. Not a bad drive from W-S. I also like the ocean. A lot longer drive to visit there but I'm not a beach bunny, just like to see it, stick my feet in it, a couple-three times a year.
 
Old 04-26-2015, 06:40 AM
 
Location: Cochise County, AZ
1,322 posts, read 837,779 times
Reputation: 2874
Was someone asking about Grand Rapids, MI? I drove up to Caledonia, a little town to the southeast of GR yesterday. Beautiful area and GR itself is a really neat small city (my oldest bro. lived there for several years before he passed) ... if it weren't for the dang s**w (IMO that is a 4-letter word!) and cold I would consider this area. Anyways I picked up The Grand Rapids Press in case anyone wanted some prices checked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top