U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-30-2015, 10:28 AM
 
14,276 posts, read 24,042,546 times
Reputation: 20116

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backintheville2 View Post
Thanks for that, and I will keep it in mind as I continue looking. I didn't mention it, but I have also looked at a couple of locations in eastern KY, such as Pikeville.

In Tennessee, I looked at Cookeville, Knoxville, Oak Ridge, and the Tri-Cities.

In Kentucky, I was looking at Lexington, Louisville, Richmond, Frankfurt and Berea.

As you may have guessed, I prefer college towns as there are more activities available.

All that looking and I ended up in AZ.

 
Old 04-30-2015, 12:08 PM
 
Location: Stephenville, Texas
957 posts, read 1,447,879 times
Reputation: 1884
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
In Tennessee, I looked at Cookeville, Knoxville, Oak Ridge, and the Tri-Cities.

In Kentucky, I was looking at Lexington, Louisville, Richmond, Frankfurt and Berea.

As you may have guessed, I prefer college towns as there are more activities available.

All that looking and I ended up in AZ.
In Kentucky, I was interested in Danville, Pikeville and want to know more about Richmond.
In Tennessee, I am interested in Knoxville and Bristol.
How do you like AZ?
 
Old 04-30-2015, 01:59 PM
 
14,276 posts, read 24,042,546 times
Reputation: 20116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backintheville2 View Post
In Kentucky, I was interested in Danville, Pikeville and want to know more about Richmond.
In Tennessee, I am interested in Knoxville and Bristol.
How do you like AZ?

I spent early November 2013 in Eastern Tennessee based on discussions from certain posters on this board. I had a pretty good time, spending two or three days in each town.

My intent was to visit Kentucky in April 2014.

However, we had an opportunity to spend January and February 2014 in Green Valley, AZ. After two months, we decided to purchase a home in this area. This area is 55+ community, with 13 community centers with swimming pools. Total taxes are lower than TN and KY and housing can be less, depending on your taste. The climate is also better as I can exercise and hike outdoors 350+ days a year. And in the five months that we have lived here, we have made more friends than we have in years.

Once we determined that this was the place, I cancelled my trip to Kentucky and sold our place in Illinois.

Hope that helps.
 
Old 05-02-2015, 07:13 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA
11,419 posts, read 20,316,186 times
Reputation: 16496
I'm going to NC again in a week or so to check out areas - it's tough, on one hand I like it here (tons of shopping choices around, I know the area, back/side roads, etc.), on the other hand, I don't really have alot of friends here (although I do have some good friends and neighbors) - I know it sounds silly to maybe rule out an area because there aren't "3-5 Marshalls, TJMAXX, grocery stores, etc." - But! I can't keep up w/the yardword and updates that this house needs, I'm on disability (didn't apply until husband passed, silly me - didn't want to "be a burden on taxpayers" or something along those lines. - Anyway, tax law is selling w/in 2 calendar yrs. of spouse deceased (he passed last yr.) - for tax purposes have to sell w/in that.

Lots of it is: place that I've know for many, many yrs. so it's scary to move (I move in my 20's - to this area, that's a whole diff. world then) - trying to put a plus on it: need warmer weather, less house maintenance, fresh start, get a place I like (he had this house when we married), etc.
 
Old 05-03-2015, 08:52 AM
 
Location: Central NY
4,697 posts, read 3,265,052 times
Reputation: 12052
Default Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I'm going to NC again in a week or so to check out areas - it's tough, on one hand I like it here (tons of shopping choices around, I know the area, back/side roads, etc.), on the other hand, I don't really have alot of friends here (although I do have some good friends and neighbors) - I know it sounds silly to maybe rule out an area because there aren't "3-5 Marshalls, TJMAXX, grocery stores, etc." - But! I can't keep up w/the yardword and updates that this house needs, I'm on disability (didn't apply until husband passed, silly me - didn't want to "be a burden on taxpayers" or something along those lines. - Anyway, tax law is selling w/in 2 calendar yrs. of spouse deceased (he passed last yr.) - for tax purposes have to sell w/in that.

Lots of it is: place that I've know for many, many yrs. so it's scary to move (I move in my 20's - to this area, that's a whole diff. world then) - trying to put a plus on it: need warmer weather, less house maintenance, fresh start, get a place I like (he had this house when we married), etc.
I have lived in the central NY area for most of my life. Born in Buffalo but moved to Syracuse area when I was 4, so no real memories of Buffalo. I did spend 13 months in northeast TX when I was in my early 50s but due to a couple of big losses (job for one), I moved back to central NY. I know a lot of people here but true friendships have changed over the years. My priorities are different, it's important to have friends compatible with who I am now. I have no fear of meeting new people, being able to sort out the new friends from the new acquaintances, etc.

I am relocating to Winston Salem, NC end of August when my lease expires. So grateful that I am able to do this and wish I had done it sooner. But sometimes we just have to wait till the time is right. I am 73, no spring chicken but not dead yet, either. I plan to enjoy my move, take in all the sights and new adventures I can. Pleasing myself will be a true joy. While I am in pretty good physical shape, I have had to slow down a bit, but can still do a lot of the things I am wanting to do. May not be able to climb a mountain, but can at least appreciate the view from the bottom of it and the fact that I was able to get there.

Please do not let fear keep you from doing what you want to do. Let yourself feel it but keep saying "I can do this." Because you can.

Good luck!
 
Old 05-03-2015, 10:05 AM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA
11,419 posts, read 20,316,186 times
Reputation: 16496
Thanks NYgal
 
Old 05-03-2015, 12:54 PM
 
4,494 posts, read 4,759,071 times
Reputation: 9977
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
I have lived in the central NY area for most of my life. Born in Buffalo but moved to Syracuse area when I was 4, so no real memories of Buffalo. I did spend 13 months in northeast TX when I was in my early 50s but due to a couple of big losses (job for one), I moved back to central NY. I know a lot of people here but true friendships have changed over the years. My priorities are different, it's important to have friends compatible with who I am now. I have no fear of meeting new people, being able to sort out the new friends from the new acquaintances, etc.

I am relocating to Winston Salem, NC end of August when my lease expires. So grateful that I am able to do this and wish I had done it sooner. But sometimes we just have to wait till the time is right. I am 73, no spring chicken but not dead yet, either. I plan to enjoy my move, take in all the sights and new adventures I can. Pleasing myself will be a true joy. While I am in pretty good physical shape, I have had to slow down a bit, but can still do a lot of the things I am wanting to do. May not be able to climb a mountain, but can at least appreciate the view from the bottom of it and the fact that I was able to get there.

Please do not let fear keep you from doing what you want to do. Let yourself feel it but keep saying "I can do this." Because you can.

Good luck!

Well, you are inspiring. I plan to move when I retire in a few years.. Hoping it to be done by 66. When I can't sleep I feel a bit overwhelmed with all that will need to be done. But then I realize I have moved myself several times and can do it again. It's being older that I think makes me pause...but not pause long enough to not do it. My 85yr old mother wants to come along, we get along very well, and I told her that would be fine... we shall see how that works in a few years. She's a tough one.

Will look forward to hearing how it all goes for you. Any helpful tips before and after would be great to hear.
 
Old 05-03-2015, 02:23 PM
 
Location: Central NY
4,697 posts, read 3,265,052 times
Reputation: 12052
Default Hello

Flamingo13: You are welcome!



Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Well, you are inspiring. I plan to move when I retire in a few years.. Hoping it to be done by 66. When I can't sleep I feel a bit overwhelmed with all that will need to be done. But then I realize I have moved myself several times and can do it again. It's being older that I think makes me pause...but not pause long enough to not do it. My 85yr old mother wants to come along, we get along very well, and I told her that would be fine... we shall see how that works in a few years. She's a tough one.

Will look forward to hearing how it all goes for you. Any helpful tips before and after would be great to hear.
Thank you for that nice compliment! I hope you do what you mentioned in your post and I hope your Mother can go with you.

I am somewhat envious that you and your Mother have a good relationship. My Mom and I did not, usually not on speaking terms (she could be quite difficult). But in her last few weeks in hospital before she passed she said..... c'mon let's go..... you've got the car...... let's get in it and go. I've often thought about that and have wished we could have done that. I think once I got my head on straight we could have had some fun together.

Regrets. As Frank sang.... I've had a few.

As far as tips go..... don't really have any..... except remember to save as much as you can, do NOT give up on your dreams, just do it.
 
Old 05-03-2015, 03:40 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,014,482 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Well, you are inspiring. I plan to move when I retire in a few years.. Hoping it to be done by 66. When I can't sleep I feel a bit overwhelmed with all that will need to be done. But then I realize I have moved myself several times and can do it again. It's being older that I think makes me pause...but not pause long enough to not do it. My 85yr old mother wants to come along, we get along very well, and I told her that would be fine... we shall see how that works in a few years. She's a tough one.

Will look forward to hearing how it all goes for you. Any helpful tips before and after would be great to hear.
The idea of "escaping" with a dear mom is so cool. It's a great time of life for a woman to live with her mom, provided they get along. So much to experience together.

PS: where are you headed? don't come north if you want your sanity in winter, lol.
 
Old 05-03-2015, 06:01 PM
 
4,494 posts, read 4,759,071 times
Reputation: 9977
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
The idea of "escaping" with a dear mom is so cool. It's a great time of life for a woman to live with her mom, provided they get along. So much to experience together.

PS: where are you headed? don't come north if you want your sanity in winter, lol.

After looking/thinking about Maine, as you know Neg, I have decided to stay in Va. but go south to Staunton. Close enough to Charlottesville and other bigger towns. I can't deal with New England winters and want to get away from the traffic and way too many people in the DC area. My mother who lives in Vermont is really wanting to leave there. She lived in Va. for many years so she is familiar with it. I wish I could do it now but not an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top