U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2015, 04:34 PM

4,682 posts, read 3,254,622 times

Advertisements

Montana Griz: I did not hear any boasting. I thought it was informative and I liked the upbeat sound of it. From what you wrote, you have had a lot of trying times in your life but you have chosen to stay positive. I applaud you for that.

That old saying.... when life hands you lemons, make lemonade..... seems to fit.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:00 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,398,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post

Thanks to all for the postive comments and reps.

I put that "flame me" statement at the end because after reading my entire post, the thought crossed my mind that it might be interpreted (by some) as a "boastful essay", and I wanted to convey that I was "open-to-criticism" if some folks thought it was warranted.

I also composed "my post" to some-what highlight the "positive side of life"---mine in particular.
My impression after reading many, many of the various Posts in the "Retirement Forum" as a whole,.......is that there is too much 'mention and emphasis' on "negative things", "problems" and looking on the 'dark' side of 'everyday-happenings' in our lives...................................To my way of thinking, that type of mental attitude is "self-defeating" and never solves a thing.....................On the other-hand, if one looks on the bright side of one's life as a "whole", and looks forward to every day as the "Beginning of The Best Days That Are Yet To Come"...............if one embraces that positive outlook, IMHO the benefit is obvious........................................... .................................................. .................................................. ....................

Just my opinion folks, it seems to have worked for me.
It was a great post. My only question is~~~~~~~~~~~~~~are there grizzlies where you live?

Old 05-06-2015, 08:41 PM

491 posts, read 598,639 times
I bet he she is referring to the Montana Grizzlies, which is the mascot for the university of Montana in Missoula. I lived in Msla for about 30 years.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:55 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,297 posts, read 3,344,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
It was a great post. My only question is~~~~~~~~~~~~~~are there grizzlies where you live?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue View Post
I bet he she is referring to the Montana Grizzlies, which is the mascot for the university of Montana in Missoula. I lived in Msla for about 30 years.
Yes, the "Grizzlies" are the name of the U of M football team. However if she was wondering about the "wild Grizzly Bears, I can add some insight into that situation as well.

Using Missoula as a point of reference, I live approx 48 miles south of Missoula and approx 1/2 mile out from the east slope of the Bitterroot Mountains, which does have a some grizzly bears 'way back into the higher elevations of the "Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness Area'. In the 36 years that I have lived here I can only remember two occasions when a documented sighting of a grizzly was reported on this side (west/side) of the Bitterroot Valley. Now the situation on the other side of the valley (the foothills of the Sapphire Mts/5 miles away) is "a little different". About 4 years ago there was a documented sighting of a grizzly that had come out of the "Anaconda Wilderness Area" and was seen on a ranchers property east of the Stevensville/Corvallis area, about 10 to 12 miles east of my area.

About 12 years ago an Elk hunter who had been successful in harvesting a bull elk, was killed by a grizzly while he was "field-dressing" the elk. He was hunting alone in the forest/foothills area of the local mountains (the Seeley/Swan Area) about 35 miles N/E of Missoula.............So yes, there are a few grizzlies that inhabit the general area within approx 65 to 75 miles of the Missoula/Bitterroot Valley, but are rarely a problem............................Now Black Bears are an entirely different situation. At least once a year I see at least one on my property, and have had them come up onto the front porch to eat the flowers in the planter. And I have a neighbor about 1600 feet through the woods to the west of my house who shot and killed a large (about 325#) Black Bear inside his garage that was trying to get his son's "4-H Chickens" that were in their cages for the night. The MT F&G Warden came out and inspected the "kill-site" and deemed it a "justifiable-kill".
Mountain Lions and Wolves are also a local problem and have killed several resident's cats and dogs that have been outside (not under the control of their owners.)....One dog recently (about 18 months ago) was killed in the owner's yard inside the City Limits of the town of Hamilton, and a rancher (about 6 years ago) outside of Darby, MT (17 miles from me), had a very expensive Quarter Horse Stallion killed at night (in his corral) by a pack of (6) wolves.
But, "all-things-considered", I wouldn't live anywhere else , even though we lost our cat to a Golden Eagle just 3 months after we moved here 36 years ago.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
Yes, the "Grizzlies" are the name of the U of M football team. However if she was wondering about the "wild Grizzly Bears, I can add some insight into that situation as well.

Using Missoula as a point of reference, I live approx 48 miles south of Missoula and approx 1/2 mile out from the east slope of the Bitterroot Mountains, which does have a some grizzly bears 'way back into the higher elevations of the "Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness Area'. In the 36 years that I have lived here I can only remember two occasions when a documented sighting of a grizzly was reported on this side (west/side) of the Bitterroot Valley. Now the situation on the other side of the valley (the foothills of the Sapphire Mts/5 miles away) is "a little different". About 4 years ago there was a documented sighting of a grizzly that had come out of the "Anaconda Wilderness Area" and was seen on a ranchers property east of the Stevensville/Corvallis area, about 10 to 12 miles east of my area.

About 12 years ago an Elk hunter who had been successful in harvesting a bull elk, was killed by a grizzly while he was "field-dressing" the elk. He was hunting alone in the forest/foothills area of the local mountains (the Seeley/Swan Area) about 35 miles N/E of Missoula.............So yes, there are a few grizzlies that inhabit the general area within approx 65 to 75 miles of the Missoula/Bitterroot Valley, but are rarely a problem............................Now Black Bears are an entirely different situation. At least once a year I see at least one on my property, and have had them come up onto the front porch to eat the flowers in the planter. And I have a neighbor about 1600 feet through the woods to the west of my house who shot and killed a large (about 325#) Black Bear inside his garage that was trying to get his son's "4-H Chickens" that were in their cages for the night. The MT F&G Warden came out and inspected the "kill-site" and deemed it a "justifiable-kill".
Mountain Lions and Wolves are also a local problem and have killed several resident's cats and dogs that have been outside (not under the control of their owners.)....One dog recently (about 18 months ago) was killed in the owner's yard inside the City Limits of the town of Hamilton, and a rancher (about 6 years ago) outside of Darby, MT (17 miles from me), had a very expensive Quarter Horse Stallion killed at night (in his corral) by a pack of (6) wolves.
But, "all-things-considered", I wouldn't live anywhere else , even though we lost our cat to a Golden Eagle just 3 months after we moved here 36 years ago.
Yes, I was referring to the bears. I lived in CO for 2 years and always heard that the grizzlies had been killed off in that part of the Rockies and MT is not that far.

How awful for that stallion and of course the other animals that were killed. I live in a first tier suburb of Minneapolis and we have a bad coyote problem here - many pets have disappeared. The city says they will not do anything. While I don't want them killed, I do want them relocated.

I was in Missoula about 20 years ago visiting a friend - nice city.

Do you get lonesome out there all alone? Glad you have Rex.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
Your post is an inspiration I need to heed

My Oregon country home has been on MLS for 16 months and now recent revelations make me think selling it will be even more difficult. I need an attitude adjustment to bloom where I'm planted or persist in the relocation to Florida effort. Decisions don't come easy at my age
Coney - Did your sale fall apart? If so, how disappointing for you - keep the faith.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:41 AM

2,296 posts, read 1,564,167 times
Anyone make a move based on extended family location, even if it's back to colder country? I will be retiring at 61 years of age in October. I am single and never married. I grew up in South Dakota and actually Sioux Falls South Dakota has a metro area of about 250,000 and is kind of I will be retiring at 61 years of age in October. I am single and never married. I grew up in South Dakota and actually Sioux Falls South Dakota has a metro area of about 250,000 an up and coming metro area in that region. I have extended family there and don't where I live here in Northern California.

I am thinking very seriously about moving back to Sioux Falls because of the long-term implications of being closer to extended family as I get older. The good thing is that this point at least I should be able to get out of there during the winter time for probably about as long as I want or as short as I want. Also, it is cheaper to live back there someone and my dollar will go father which would allow me to rationalize and use some of that money to do travel during the winter.

Thoughts? Although I go back periodically, I'm headed back in a week for about three weeks to check it out. I realize the weather will be "nicer" this time of year there so I won't get a feel for winter.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:49 PM

4,980 posts, read 3,468,620 times
I decided to stay in Minnesota, but in a small town that my sister & brother live by. My grandparents & now our mom are buried here & the senior (I can't call it a complex because there are only 14 apartments) all knew my mom so I was automatically accepted. It feels good.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:03 PM

2,296 posts, read 1,564,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I decided to stay in Minnesota, but in a small town that my sister & brother live by. My grandparents & now our mom are buried here & the senior (I can't call it a complex because there are only 14 apartments) all knew my mom so I was automatically accepted. It feels good.
I think the whole "weather" thing is overrated. I think lots of times people who just "have" to move to a warm weather state or their life will be ruined have other issues.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:30 PM

21 posts, read 24,876 times
Burkmere,
Don't be too sure about not getting a feel for winter. I am here in the Black Hills awaiting the weekend storm. Snow estimate: 9-12 inches.
Still, this is my favorite time of year around Sioux Falls. Everything is bright and new and green.

Have a great time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement