U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2015, 09:18 PM

2,296 posts, read 1,563,056 times

Advertisements

Just keep in mind it's scorching in much of AZ. I was there a week ago and it was over 100. Too much is made of weather. Mostly by unhappy folks. ��

Old 05-08-2015, 10:31 PM

3,911 posts, read 2,881,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
I think the whole "weather" thing is overrated. I think lots of times people who just "have" to move to a warm weather state or their life will be ruined have other issues.
I do know a few people who moved south because they didn't like being cooped up all winter who are now cooped up all summer instead, staying inside with the AC on. Weather should be a consideration, but probably not the prime one unless health requires it or you have no other factor. I would definitely put family or friends ahead of it. Easy for me to say because I have lots of family in warm climes...

Old 05-08-2015, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvedTones View Post
I do know a few people who moved south because they didn't like being cooped up all winter who are now cooped up all summer instead, staying inside with the AC on. Weather should be a consideration, but probably not the prime one unless health requires it or you have no other factor. I would definitely put family or friends ahead of it. Easy for me to say because I have lots of family in warm climes...
If you can get away in the winter , I wouldn't think it's a big deal. Being lonely or without financial resources is, however. I can afford to get away as much as I want, fortunately. Vegas . California. Asia. Costa Rica. Mexico. Caribbean. To name a few.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:19 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,297 posts, read 3,343,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Yes, I was referring to the bears. I lived in CO for 2 years and always heard that the grizzlies had been killed off in that part of the Rockies and MT is not that far.

How awful for that stallion and of course the other animals that were killed. I live in a first tier suburb of Minneapolis and we have a bad coyote problem here - many pets have disappeared. The city says they will not do anything. While I don't want them killed, I do want them relocated.

I was in Missoula about 20 years ago visiting a friend - nice city.

>>>>>>Do you get lonesome out there all alone? <<<<<<<< Glad you have Rex.
Sorry I didn't answer sooner

No, not in the least. All my life, I have always spent "a lot of time" alone.........When ever I was home, I naturally had my wife and daughter to share time and activities with. However certain factors in my life that I had no control over, resulted in my being alone much of the time:...................................
.../ my father passed away in my 13th year, thus I missed that opportunity for that campanionship.
.../ I was raised in a rural area, about 6 miles from my grade school and high school, thus had very few friends as neighbors.
.../my college years were probably when I had the least chance to be 'alone'.
.../ my 40 years of working were, again a set of circumstances that resulted in a tremendous amount of travel by car and plane, thus resulting in a lot of "alone-time". In all my working years, I never spent more than 2% of my time in "an-office-atmosphere".

I'm very comfortable being alone (by choice) at this point in my life. I can drive into town anytime I want and meet up with some friends for coffee or a meal, and I make it a point of getting into town to grocery shop about twice a week, so I do interact with people on a regular basis.

You mention "Rex" my 9 year old Brittany:...........he is a GREAT companion, and of all the dogs I have had in my life so far (many, many Labs, setters, pointers and German Shepards and one other Brittany......Rex is by far the most intelligent, entertaining and easily trained dog I have had. I got him as a puppy when he was just short of two months of age, and in these 9 years he has traveled with me through approx 20 some states and over 77,000 miles in the SUV...

Life is good

Old 05-09-2015, 01:16 AM

6,954 posts, read 7,396,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
Sorry I didn't answer sooner

No, not in the least. All my life, I have always spent "a lot of time" alone.........When ever I was home, I naturally had my wife and daughter to share time and activities with. However certain factors in my life that I had no control over, resulted in my being alone much of the time:...................................
.../ my father passed away in my 13th year, thus I missed that opportunity for that campanionship.
.../ I was raised in a rural area, about 6 miles from my grade school and high school, thus had very few friends as neighbors.
.../my college years were probably when I had the least chance to be 'alone'.
.../ my 40 years of working were, again a set of circumstances that resulted in a tremendous amount of travel by car and plane, thus resulting in a lot of "alone-time". In all my working years, I never spent more than 2% of my time in "an-office-atmosphere".

I'm very comfortable being alone (by choice) at this point in my life. I can drive into town anytime I want and meet up with some friends for coffee or a meal, and I make it a point of getting into town to grocery shop about twice a week, so I do interact with people on a regular basis.

You mention "Rex" my 9 year old Brittany:...........he is a GREAT companion, and of all the dogs I have had in my life so far (many, many Labs, setters, pointers and German Shepards and one other Brittany......Rex is by far the most intelligent, entertaining and easily trained dog I have had. I got him as a puppy when he was just short of two months of age, and in these 9 years he has traveled with me through approx 20 some states and over 77,000 miles in the SUV...

Life is good
Just a note: I have 2 dogs - one is 1/2 Wheaten terrior and 1/2 Brittany. The other dog is pure Wheaten.

The one with Brittany is the sweetest, happiest dog I have ever owned - all you have to do is look at her and the tail goes crazy and if you laugh that tail goes so fast I think she going to take off. She definitely has the hunter gene - more than once she has had a rabbit (live) in her mouth when I go to let her in (bad dog!!!!!).

Old 05-09-2015, 07:22 AM

491 posts, read 598,444 times
the other part of the weather thing that is overrated imho is it is a day or two here and there that it is too nasty to go out, not months and months of days and days in a row. I LIKE having a day here and there that I can stay home all day. It is especially nice now that I don't work and don't have to be anywhere.

Old 05-09-2015, 07:36 AM

3,911 posts, read 2,881,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue View Post
the other part of the weather thing that is overrated imho is it is a day or two here and there that it is too nasty to go out, not months and months of days and days in a row. I LIKE having a day here and there that I can stay home all day. It is especially nice now that I don't work and don't have to be anywhere.
A lot of us on the East Coast suffer from short term memory syndrome. I am currently in NC (I will likely be further south in a few years) and even here where we usually have several nice winter days, they were few and far between this past winter. It is important to remember that was (and to some degree still is) unusual.

Old 05-09-2015, 08:45 AM

6,128 posts, read 9,091,165 times
Quote:
Just keep in mind it's scorching in much of AZ. I was there a week ago and it was over 100. Too much is made of weather. Mostly by unhappy folks. ��
What you experienced for a couple days in AZ was a fluke. Today it's a very comfortable 70 degrees and will reach 85 tomorrow, Mothers Day. We very much are influenced by the weather coming in from Cali and Mexico.

Old 05-09-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
What you experienced for a couple days in AZ was a fluke. Today it's a very comfortable 70 degrees and will reach 85 tomorrow, Mothers Day. We very much are influenced by the weather coming in from Cali and Mexico.
My global point was that people put too much emphasis on weather and that Phoenix HOT from June through Sept and that can extend into April and May and Oct.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:27 AM

3,351 posts, read 3,052,428 times
Quote:
My global point was that people put too much emphasis on weather and that Phoenix HOT from June through Sept and that can extend into April and May and Oct.
And some of us love it hot and are REALLY affected by cold, grey winters (hello Nashville).

I lived in the Phoenix area for two years and worked outside one summer helping friends build an adobe house. Loved it. Now in TN in the winter, I get up in the dark, go to work, come home in the dark, go to bed. Seasonal affective disorder is very real in my case. Once I am finished working, I'll be back in the west somewhere. Even Colorado with cold and snow, but lots of sunshine would be better than dreary winters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement