U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2015, 07:39 PM

595 posts, read 1,023,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
Sorry I didn't answer sooner
No, not in the least. All my life, I have always spent "a lot of time" alone.........When ever I was home, I naturally had my wife and daughter to share time and activities with. However certain factors in my life that I had no control over, resulted in my being alone much of the time:...................................
.../ my father passed away in my 13th year, thus I missed that opportunity for that campanionship.
.../ I was raised in a rural area, about 6 miles from my grade school and high school, thus had very few friends as neighbors.
.../my college years were probably when I had the least chance to be 'alone'.
.../ my 40 years of working were, again a set of circumstances that resulted in a tremendous amount of travel by car and plane, thus resulting in a lot of "alone-time". In all my working years, I never spent more than 2% of my time in "an-office-atmosphere".

I'm very comfortable being alone (by choice) at this point in my life. I can drive into town anytime I want and meet up with some friends for coffee or a meal, and I make it a point of getting into town to grocery shop about twice a week, so I do interact with people on a regular basis.

You mention "Rex" my 9 year old Brittany:...........he is a GREAT companion, and of all the dogs I have had in my life so far (many, many Labs, setters, pointers and German Shepards and one other Brittany......Rex is by far the most intelligent, entertaining and easily trained dog I have had. I got him as a puppy when he was just short of two months of age, and in these 9 years he has traveled with me through approx 20 some states and over 77,000 miles in the SUV...

Just agreeing with you 500%

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 05-10-2015 at 12:03 PM..

Old 05-15-2015, 08:06 PM

967 posts, read 919,699 times
I moved to Az from the Midwest 5 years ago. There are many things I love about the Southwest, and I moved here because the weather truly does affect my health. I have fibromyalgia, CFS, Reynaud's Syndrome, osteoarthritis, disc damages and more. Cold, wet weather makes my life a living hell and the dreary, over-cast days affect my disposition. That being said, I would love to be able to move back. I lived in the same town for over 30 years. I miss my friends and activities so much. I am missing seeing my grandchildren grow up. I wish I could go "home". But my health is much better here. I was able to drop all meds except 2. It is cheaper to live here. (property taxes were over 4 times as much as here) I love the sunshine and blue skies. I have tried over and over to make friends and try activities here. Health has interfered with that, too, for although the pain is much less, the fatigue hasn't improved as much. I can't afford to fly back on my limited income. I want to go home. But I can't.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:53 PM

4,978 posts, read 3,464,691 times
I feel for you, artangel. I wanted to move to a different climate but decided to stay in Minnesota and have moved to my mom's hometown. The women in this building are beautiful but my pain often prevents me from joining in. I think they feel somewhat offended that I don't visit but, my reality is pain. My whole day revolves around " what can I get done before it's too much" . I look around & wish so much I could get more done.

If I were to move for better weather, it might help my health. I just don't know.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:33 AM

18,678 posts, read 23,263,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
As some of you know from following my posts, I am planning on retiring alone, but in a different area from where I am now (California) due to the costs.

I am curious if there are other single/divorced/widowed women out there considering relocating to another area by themselves, and if so to where, and why that location?

I am very torn about where to go. I love the sunshine and dry weather -- factors in my choices. I also want a social network, and am an eastcoaster, originally, and am wondering if I should reconsider the eastcoast because it seems more social. It will also just be my retirement income (it's just me!), and so lower costs, rather than higher, are important.

I'm not really old enough for the senior centers, as I've noticed they seem to be more filled with the 70 and over crowd. Therefore, since I am still lively and young at heart, I am looking for a place where older singles still mingle. I am searching out places that may work for a single retired woman. (I am 59 right now, but plan to try to stick it out here a few more years, if possible.)

I have diverse interests, moderate politics (Independent), and write, play a little piano for myself, draw, and teach art. I'm a social worker by trade, but would like to be involved in more activities and volunteering that would be "fun" oriented. I love hiking -- that is one of my favorite pursuits. I also adore cooking. I have a dog and three cats. I am also not religious, although I guess the term "Spiritual" would apply. My daughter will be in college, but also studying abroad, so she and I will not be in the same city.

I'd love to hear what others think about this situation. Thanks!
Wisteria

I would look into Cassadega FL. It's a spiritual community with a connection to the Lily Dale Assembly in upstate NY. Lily Dale closes in the winter months, (I think in November) and reopens in May. Many of the members of the Lily Dale community winter in Cassadega.

Actually, I am thinking of doing the same thing. I want to keep my house in Ohio because I love it and I really enjoy the change of seasons, and white Christmases. Autumn is beautiful here.

However, I'm also in my late 50s (eeek!) and my youngest will be going away to college this Fall. I have been substitute teaching here, and I could probably also do that in FL, as well as adjunct at a university or college.

The COL in my area of Ohio is so low that many people "snow bird" before they even retire, because it's affordable. It isn't difficult to find a pretty, older cottage style home in a nice area with 2 or 3 bedrooms for 50 or 60 thousand!

Cassadega does not have many homes in it, however, nearby cities include Deland, Deltona, Daytona, Sanford and Lake Helen. Homes in Lake Helen, which is closest to Cassadega are generally under 100. Some are less.

Because of the presence of the Cassadega community, I think that there would be other like minded people, and moderate "live and let live" politics that do not dominate every conversation and friendship. I find Ohio to be less strident politically than any place that I have lived, also. And I love it.

Anyway, that's my plan.

Last edited by sheena12; 05-18-2015 at 11:54 AM..

Old 05-18-2015, 03:52 PM

19 posts, read 6,058 times
Hello from West Virginia! I've been lurking here for a few months and thought I would finally write. I am a few years from retiring (I'm 58), and have started looking to move outside of West Virginia. I will be by myself. I love this state, but I don't like the thought of having my social security or IRA taxed. My head is already spinning at the decisions one has to make for their retirement years. So many questions.....Do I move to Florida, where the lack of taxes are my friend, but I will pay more on property tax and insurance due to sink holes and hurricane force wind? Do I want to buy into an active 55+ community where the HOA is steep each month? Will I be welcome as a single person? Florida or South Carolina? Anywho....I am sure I will have a lot of questions, and this forum has been so informative thus far. Nice to meet you!

Old 05-18-2015, 05:48 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,747,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickieWV View Post
Hello from West Virginia! I've been lurking here for a few months and thought I would finally write. I am a few years from retiring (I'm 58), and have started looking to move outside of West Virginia. I will be by myself. I love this state, but I don't like the thought of having my social security or IRA taxed. My head is already spinning at the decisions one has to make for their retirement years. So many questions.....Do I move to Florida, where the lack of taxes are my friend, but I will pay more on property tax and insurance due to sink holes and hurricane force wind? Do I want to buy into an active 55+ community where the HOA is steep each month? Will I be welcome as a single person? Florida or South Carolina? Anywho....I am sure I will have a lot of questions, and this forum has been so informative thus far. Nice to meet you!
And nice to have you with us! I took the liberty of bolding a few words of your post. It seems to me that your enjoyment of West Virginia is more important than you're giving it credit for. Wouldn't it be better to live in a place you like even if it costs a few dollars more in taxes? (I assume from your comment that West Virginia is one of the few states which tax Social Security income). And like you say, other factors could easily trump the state income taxes. Perhaps it would be worth paying a CPA to run some scenarios about state income taxes to see what actual dollar amount may be involved?

Old 05-18-2015, 05:56 PM

19 posts, read 6,058 times
Thanks! I do love this state, but really dislike the city I live in. I can't imagine living here when I retire. It offers nothing but a Walmart..lol I plan to write and photography is my passion and I guess I can do that anywhere, but I'd like an active lifestyle with opportunities around me. But, I do need to consult a CPA for sure. Thanks again!

Old 05-18-2015, 08:21 PM

14,261 posts, read 24,004,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickieWV View Post

There are other options besides FL and SC including Texas, Arizona, New Mexico among others.

As for high HOA fees, I pay $180 per year in HOA fees and $450 per year for access to 13 pools, 12 fitness centers, as well as a number of other activities.

Old 05-23-2015, 12:09 AM

Just wanted to say thanks to meo and in--newengland for their comments and reps! I had cataract surgery last week and more coming up so haven't been doing much on computer. Thank you!

Old 05-23-2015, 05:09 AM

I don't know how to go back and add to a prior post---forgot to thank Sheena, also! Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement