U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2015, 10:35 PM

1,322 posts, read 836,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Well, I'm putting together plans for an epic road trip through Florida, Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky up to north central Indiana this spring. Now that I am retired, I am on a search for my next home. I am returning to where I spent my first 22 years - Indiana. Once I am out of Florida, I will be avoiding the interstates and driving on lesser traveled roads through the small towns and countryside of the abovementioned states.
Here's hoping that you've found your spot to put up a "home sweet home"! You said you were leaving at the beginning of May, so I hope you've reached Lafayette by now and have enjoyed wandering the back roads. Looking forward to hearing all about your trip back to your home state.

Old 05-25-2015, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I really do hate the thought of leaving Minnesota. It has been home for almost all of my 61years. But, the winter is hard on people with arthritus and bursites. I have both. One of my brother's lives in Tennessee and he would love for me to move there but...I'm scared of the change. I might have to do it but...
Could you go visit for a few weeks before you make a decision?

Old 05-25-2015, 07:17 AM
mlb

3,190 posts, read 2,860,347 times
Wild horses could not drag me back to Wisconsin.

And I really love my family/sibilings.

That winter is long and deep...... not easy to escape.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:53 AM

3,351 posts, read 3,052,428 times
Quote:
I really do hate the thought of leaving Minnesota. It has been home for almost all of my 61years. But, the winter is hard on people with arthritus and bursites. I have both. One of my brother's lives in Tennessee and he would love for me to move there but...I'm scared of the change. I might have to do it but...
Tennessee is cold and grey from December to March. Not much snow usually but ice. And that shuts everything down.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:21 AM

4,574 posts, read 7,063,489 times
I know Minnesota has bad winters but Tennessee has winters too, just not nearly as bad, but it does get cold, and hot/humid in the summers so not sure if TN would help your health problems all that much. Maybe not enough to invest in a major move there. Someplace warm with dry heat helps our "old bones" the most, at least that's how I'm feeling these days. As I recall, you have family in both places? So that might not be factor depending on your relationships with them. I live in SoCal which has about the mildest weather in the US, and arthritis aches and pains exist here too but the heat does help. If you could spend a few months in the winter in TN, I guess that's the only way to know for sure. I know, it's a hard decision. Minnesota and TN are really different places in so many ways.

Old 05-25-2015, 12:14 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,988,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Don't know why this would be better than Chicago area where her family is. Which is better? Loneliness in what might be better weather or near family in weather not as good?

Personally, I think weather factors are overrated.
Her posts implied she might not want to return to Chicago for other reasons.

I agree that there is some truth in climate/weather being overrated. In another thread I just posted my opinion that the "culture" (and I don't mean "high" culture, but in a much broader sense) in a region is much more important to many of us. I like my culture and am quite familiar with it and the way it works. If a tradeoff were offered me—much better winter weather for a general culture I don't relate to (and this includes not only the kinds of arts but the kinds of sports, education, medical, etc)—then I'd opt to stay in the culture I do relate to. Of course it would be nice to have the best of both worlds.

Old 05-25-2015, 05:21 PM

2,627 posts, read 4,955,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Here's hoping that you've found your spot to put up a "home sweet home"! You said you were leaving at the beginning of May, so I hope you've reached Lafayette by now and have enjoyed wandering the back roads. Looking forward to hearing all about your trip back to your home state.
Thanks Dee. I spent 8 days in Lafayette. The trip was epic...... Highway 231 all the way through Alabama, TN, KY and up to Lafayette..... and back to Florida the same route. Whew! Only had to replace one tire and I got very familiar with operating and programming my gps!

Lafayette has grown so much! Lots of traffic. Drivers are polite and passive...... compared with those of south Florida who are aggressive and idiotic While I was there, temps ranged from 88 to 38°. I love cool weather! I contacted a realtor and met with her. She gave me some leads, I took a drive to look at some of the homes for sale and the next day she took me inside three of the homes. She is continuing to send me emails about homes that meet my criteria.

I have lots to think about. Funny how you think you remember things and .... well, not really. Although traffic was heavy at times, it only took a few minutes to go anywhere in the area. I stayed in the Homewood Suites hotel out on South Street..... and I could be in West Lafayette in just a few minutes. Thank goodness for my gps, I would have gotten lost so many times!

There is a lot of industry in the area! Alcoa Aluminum, Rea, Wabash National, Tate & Lyle (2), Staleys, Caterpillar, GE Aviation..... to name a few. At times, depending on the wind direction, Staleys stunk up the area (corn syrup production).

I found people to be polite, friendly and seemed to be happy. Lots of work going on in the area. I walked around Purdue on a rainy Sunday.....most of the students had left for the end of the semester.

I visited several parks in the area, Prophetstown State Park, Prophetstown Farm (I volunteered there one morning), the Battlefield at Battle Ground and their wonderful museum, Clegg Memorial Gardens, Fort Ouiatenon, etc. A friend took me on a hike at Prophetstown State Park.

What a chore the drive up there and back - zowie, I sure wish it wasn't so darn far! I still am considering moving up that way..... maybe to a town in the vicinity. I like the vibe of the Midwest. Hardworking, honest, friendly people. Now I have to work on my own house, downsized, get rid of stuff......

I stayed one night, on my drive up, in Jasper, Indiana. It is a lovely, clean little German town. I had the best meal of the trip there.... at the Schnitzelbank Restaurant.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:07 PM

14,264 posts, read 24,004,620 times
Quote:
Check out $$Southern Illinois. My brother lives in Marion & I stayed with him & wife for 6 months. The weather is better but there Is ice concern in the winter. I don't know because I wasn't there in the winter. There are many good things about the area. I loved the friendliness, and how helpful everyone was. People were open and it felt like home. So you may be able to have the best of both worlds. I know Carbondale has a train stop so you could just take the train to Chicago rather than drive. So look at the area and see what you think.

I do not think that too many people who have lived in Phoenix for years are going to find that the weather in Southern Illinois is that much different from Chicagoland. Having lived in both areas, the weather is pretty lousy for seniors four to six months a year. Fortunately, the weather in Chicago is more pleasant in the summer months than it is in the southern part of the state.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Thanks Dee. I spent 8 days in Lafayette. The trip was epic...... Highway 231 all the way through Alabama, TN, KY and up to Lafayette..... and back to Florida the same route. Whew! Only had to replace one tire and I got very familiar with operating and programming my gps!

Lafayette has grown so much! Lots of traffic. Drivers are polite and passive...... compared with those of south Florida who are aggressive and idiotic While I was there, temps ranged from 88 to 38°. I love cool weather! I contacted a realtor and met with her. She gave me some leads, I took a drive to look at some of the homes for sale and the next day she took me inside three of the homes. She is continuing to send me emails about homes that meet my criteria.
I remember wishing my daughter had attended Purdue - that was where the traffic really increased when driving her to Butler in Indy. The son went to Ball State which was an even worse drive lol

Yes Lafayette has grown a lot. I remember visiting friends there in my teens. When we went started going to the Feast of the Hunter's Moon in the late 80's I was surprised at the growth.

Quote:
I have lots to think about. Funny how you think you remember things and .... well, not really. Although traffic was heavy at times, it only took a few minutes to go anywhere in the area. I stayed in the Homewood Suites hotel out on South Street..... and I could be in West Lafayette in just a few minutes. Thank goodness for my gps, I would have gotten lost so many times!
I've been in my area my entire life and so much that was cornfields are now suburban areas. I can't imagine what it felt like to return after so many years.

Quote:
I found people to be polite, friendly and seemed to be happy. Lots of work going on in the area. I walked around Purdue on a rainy Sunday.....most of the students had left for the end of the semester.

I visited several parks in the area, Prophetstown State Park, Prophetstown Farm (I volunteered there one morning), the Battlefield at Battle Ground and their wonderful museum, Clegg Memorial Gardens, Fort Ouiatenon, etc. A friend took me on a hike at Prophetstown State Park.
Sounds like you had a fun time. So glad you did!

Quote:
What a chore the drive up there and back - zowie, I sure wish it wasn't so darn far! I still am considering moving up that way..... maybe to a town in the vicinity. I like the vibe of the Midwest. Hardworking, honest, friendly people. Now I have to work on my own house, downsized, get rid of stuff......

I stayed one night, on my drive up, in Jasper, Indiana. It is a lovely, clean little German town. I had the best meal of the trip there.... at the Schnitzelbank Restaurant.
Did you get a chance to explore any of KY and TN along your route? Sounds like you really enjoyed taking the slow route. After my recent drive up to Kalamazoo, MI and back and having bad leg cramps from that short of a drive, I think my relocation to Arizona will take very slow driving so I'm thinking I might take the old Route 66 trip with many scenic stops along the way

Sorry you didn't find your sweet spot yet but at least you won't be under a time deadline pressure to get your downsizing done.

Old 05-25-2015, 07:01 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,063,489 times
I agree that the culture of an area is extremely important and sometimes vastly overlooked. I guess we all would like to think that we are adaptable to any new "culture" and see it as an adventure/challenge (which it can be) but as I age the more I think that isn't true for me as much anymore as it was in my 20's and 30's when I moved around a lot. I've read a lot of posts over the years about moving and when people move, the culture of a new place always seems to be mentioned as issue, either positive or negative. More so I think than even the weather. For example, take the vast numbers of people from the Northeast who move to, say, North Carolina. They always seem to "like to OK" but are always comparing it to back home, missing the food, etc. Each state and cities within those states have their own culture/vibe.

I don't know about moving for health reasons. Honestly, I think people have the same health issues pretty much everywhere. And one might be exchanging one health problem for another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement