U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-25-2015, 07:02 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times
Reputation: 15649

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Lafayette has grown so much! Lots of traffic. Drivers are polite and passive...... compared with those of south Florida who are aggressive and idiotic While I was there, temps ranged from 88 to 38. I love cool weather! I contacted a realtor and met with her. She gave me some leads, I took a drive to look at some of the homes for sale and the next day she took me inside three of the homes. She is continuing to send me emails about homes that meet my criteria.
Have you considered Bloomington?

 
Old 05-25-2015, 08:16 PM
 
Location: Cochise county, AZ
4,975 posts, read 3,460,586 times
Reputation: 10494
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I agree that the culture of an area is extremely important and sometimes vastly overlooked. I guess we all would like to think that we are adaptable to any new "culture" and see it as an adventure/challenge (which it can be) but as I age the more I think that isn't true for me as much anymore as it was in my 20's and 30's when I moved around a lot. I've read a lot of posts over the years about moving and when people move, the culture of a new place always seems to be mentioned as issue, either positive or negative. More so I think than even the weather. For example, take the vast numbers of people from the Northeast who move to, say, North Carolina. They always seem to "like to OK" but are always comparing it to back home, missing the food, etc. Each state and cities within those states have their own culture/vibe.

I don't know about moving for health reasons. Honestly, I think people have the same health issues pretty much everywhere. And one might be exchanging one health problem for another.
For myself, it's been really rainy and overcast for the last couple of days & my leg & back are throbbing & painful. I'm waiting to see how the winter goes to see if I will stay. I'm close to 2 family members here & would be close to 1 if I moved to Tennessee. So it's a toss-up. When you've lived with snow all your life it does become become a deterrent, but as soon as Spring comes, you get busy and bask in the sun.
Here I am in an income-based apartment & so many folks in this building knew my Mom, acceptance was immediate. A man getting gas at the gas station noticed I was having trouble trying to check the air in my tires (I can no longer bend so if I get down I have to crawl to something to get up) & he not only asked if he could help but made sure he checked all of them when he found one low. This is Minnesota & that's how people act here. I don't know how they act in Tennessee. I do plan on visiting but I guess my heart is here.
 
Old 05-25-2015, 08:32 PM
 
4,574 posts, read 7,060,700 times
Reputation: 4222
That's the thing...I think it's rainy and overcast in TN too so not sure if you would be any further ahead. It might take a move to a hot and dry region and then you'd be far away from friends and family. Take care.
 
Old 05-25-2015, 09:28 PM
 
Location: Cochise county, AZ
4,975 posts, read 3,460,586 times
Reputation: 10494
I don't think I could take intense heat. I have to be near water & Florida might be too hot. Just don't know. Arizona does not interest me. Am researching other states. The Carolina's interest me but seriously, with my health problems I have to be close to family so they can get to me, just in case.
 
Old 05-26-2015, 03:24 AM
 
2,627 posts, read 4,952,863 times
Reputation: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I don't think I could take intense heat. I have to be near water & Florida might be too hot. Just don't know. Arizona does not interest me. Am researching other states. The Carolina's interest me but seriously, with my health problems I have to be close to family so they can get to me, just in case.
What about New Mexico?
 
Old 05-26-2015, 06:56 AM
 
Location: The Conterminous United States
22,554 posts, read 47,353,816 times
Reputation: 13399
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I agree that the culture of an area is extremely important and sometimes vastly overlooked. I guess we all would like to think that we are adaptable to any new "culture" and see it as an adventure/challenge (which it can be) but as I age the more I think that isn't true for me as much anymore as it was in my 20's and 30's when I moved around a lot. I've read a lot of posts over the years about moving and when people move, the culture of a new place always seems to be mentioned as issue, either positive or negative. More so I think than even the weather. For example, take the vast numbers of people from the Northeast who move to, say, North Carolina. They always seem to "like to OK" but are always comparing it to back home, missing the food, etc. Each state and cities within those states have their own culture/vibe.

I don't know about moving for health reasons. Honestly, I think people have the same health issues pretty much everywhere. And one might be exchanging one health problem for another.
After living in Florida for ten years, I came to the conclusion that, often, living around a lot of transients and transplants can be a nightmare. When I decided to leave, I saw that a lot of them were moving out of Florida and into North Carolina. I went elsewhere. There is nothing worse than a bunch of whiners - sometimes being aggressive - constantly bumping up against locals.
 
Old 05-26-2015, 10:05 AM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,618 posts, read 9,684,845 times
Reputation: 10965
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Come on up to New England and check it out. Gorgeous time of year. Spring, summer, fall are great. So what's a little snow and cold, LOL....lots of nice older folks here who are into all kinds of interesting things. You could always spend Jan-Feb elsewhere.
And here I was getting ready to tell her she needs to move up here by ME! lol It would be a much shorter move for her and she already knows what it's like here.
 
Old 05-26-2015, 08:23 PM
 
Location: Cochise county, AZ
4,975 posts, read 3,460,586 times
Reputation: 10494
For the last few days I've had intense pain in my right leg. Yes, I did extensive shopping on Saturday & due to a jerk who stole my handicap sign, even though I was helped to my car after shopping, I think I over did my leg. If it's not better tomorrow I'll call for an appt. Hope I don't have to do that. So tired of doctor's. Sorry, guess I'm down because of the pain.
 
Old 05-27-2015, 04:42 AM
 
Location: Central NY
4,670 posts, read 3,246,905 times
Reputation: 11951
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
For the last few days I've had intense pain in my right leg. Yes, I did extensive shopping on Saturday & due to a jerk who stole my handicap sign, even though I was helped to my car after shopping, I think I over did my leg. If it's not better tomorrow I'll call for an appt. Hope I don't have to do that. So tired of doctor's. Sorry, guess I'm down because of the pain.
meo92953, sorry to hear you are suffering with pain. That dang leg pain can be wicked and when you mentioned being helped back to your car after shopping, I thought how painful it would be to drive home. I had a total knee replacement in December 2014 and can remember first couple times I drove.

Hope you feel better. Do you put ice or heat on it? Ice is usually my preferred remedy but it's not for everything.

Take care.
 
Old 05-27-2015, 10:33 AM
 
Location: Prescott AZ
6,125 posts, read 9,083,586 times
Reputation: 11545
Meo: I am just like you. One day my leg/hip seems good to go, so I do. Then the next day I am soooo tired, so achey, taking so much Tylenol. I think a lot of this is age and nothing can be done. Just have to not over do and know when to stop doing stuff you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top