U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2015, 07:09 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,751,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I meant it in a general sense, for seniors. Remember, though we are technically "seniors" right now, we are on the young side of that curve. There are "tiers" to being a senior—55+, 65+, 75+, and 80+. I see many older seniors with canes and walkers, some really overweight, for whom boarding the typical bus, even getting to it, can be nearly impossible. You are not a typical senior, since you indicate no mobility problems. Empathy may be in order here.

I am fortunate that I have not only a bus stop at the end of my street for the public bus, but also a free inter-college campus bus that runs between towns. It is a long walk to the end of my street, however, and doing it year-round with ice and snow and high heat and humidity is not always easy. The public bus drivers are patient and help people on and off. The college buses are typically driven by a youngster who barely stops to pick up passengers and careens forward at breakneck speed. What a ride to the next town.

Many councils on aging operate senior vans. These drivers are trained to help the elder-elderly on and off and they go door to door, for a nominal fee though by appointment. Seems like good planning to choose a town that has this service.

Yes, good points. It's not about one person, it's about the masses.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:04 PM

4,575 posts, read 7,067,487 times
I have been retired for 9 months now and the place where I rent is raising rents around $600-700 a month (I'm in shock) and now we also have to pay for water, sewer and trash (which is becoming the norm), new tenants also have to have at least an income 3x the rent ...so if anyone out there is thinking about renting in one of the very popular, good weather locations, think twice my friends and make sure you can afford the rent increases. There's really no advantage to renting anymore.

I'll now have to get serious about moving to a lower COL area as I can't pay this amount of rent anymore. I'll have to figure out a way to live here maybe for another year until I can put together this major move. I feel sad today as do my friends who live here too...

Old 06-03-2015, 08:43 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,994,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I have been retired for 9 months now and the place where I rent is raising rents around $600-700 a month (I'm in shock) and now we also have to pay for water, sewer and trash (which is becoming the norm), new tenants also have to have at least an income 3x the rent ...so if anyone out there is thinking about renting in one of the very popular, good weather locations, think twice my friends and make sure you can afford the rent increases. There's really no advantage to renting anymore.

I'll now have to get serious about moving to a lower COL area as I can't pay this amount of rent anymore. I'll have to figure out a way to live here maybe for another year until I can put together this major move. I feel sad today as do my friends who live here too...
That kind of a rent increase is shocking! What % of a rise?

You've indicated for some time that you would be moving in retirement. Maybe this is the wake-up. Curious to know what areas of the country you're thinking of. Rents in the interior are not anywhere near as bad as the coasts.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:38 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,751,034 times
Quote:

Seriously? Literally, 600-700? I would be in shock also. What changes/additions are they making for that? My landlord raises rent but is pretty reasonable, generally 2.5%, and they do make positive changes to the buildings and grounds. Are they wanting to move out some people? Sounds like they are trying to turnover the renters with such a huge increase.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:41 AM

1,324 posts, read 838,347 times
Quote:

I wonder if the owners are trying to empty out the complex in order to turn the units into condos. I've heard of this happening before.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:46 AM

16,370 posts, read 10,358,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
I wonder if the owners are trying to empty out the complex in order to turn the units into condos. I've heard of this happening before.
That would be my guess too.

Any possibility of getting a roommate?

Old 06-04-2015, 09:14 AM

4,686 posts, read 3,256,586 times
Quote:

love autumn: May I ask what your rent has been up until the increase? This is quite scary to me as I am relocating and the apartment I have chosen to move into will cost me the maximum I can afford. So if next year it goes to an extreme increase, I'll be in trouble, too.

Thank you for your input.

Old 06-04-2015, 12:56 PM

6,130 posts, read 9,095,981 times
Anyone consider moving to the middle of the US? Am looking into Columbia, MO which is just 385miles from Chicago, where my son and fam live. Anyone have any opinions about Columbia?? I posted on the MO forum but no one answered (yet). U of Missouri, great Osher program, 17% senior population and 4 seasons. Hot and humid in summer. But it can't be worse than Phoenix for heat.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:32 PM

14,266 posts, read 24,016,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Anyone consider moving to the middle of the US? Am looking into Columbia, MO which is just 385miles from Chicago, where my son and fam live. Anyone have any opinions about Columbia?? I posted on the MO forum but no one answered (yet). U of Missouri, great Osher program, 17% senior population and 4 seasons. Hot and humid in summer. But it can't be worse than Phoenix for heat.

I have lived there a while back. There is also Stephens and Columbia Colleges.

It is very hot and humid during the summer months; however, it is no worse than Phoenix.

It is rather inconvenient if you need to travel as it involves a drive to St. Louis or Kansas City. However, there are shuttles that run to both nearly every hour.

They have excellent health care between the VA and the university hospitals. They have good libraries and plenty of educational opportunities.

I generally don't participate in the MO forum.

Old 06-04-2015, 03:19 PM

4,575 posts, read 7,067,487 times
I think Columbia was listed on the Forbes 2015 best places to retire if you want to check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement