U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2015, 07:12 PM

4,666 posts, read 3,241,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
I am sure you are exhausted. You didn't see anything that tempted you at all?
During a previous trip I did see two apartments that were very nice and I was pretty sure I could afford them. But both of these apartments had MAA Direct which seems to be something you have to take with the apartment at an extra $50/month. This "service" takes care of scheduling times to have utilities turned on, provides cable, free WiFi in the common areas, etc.

I do not believe I need any of the listed services. I don't have cable TV now and don't anticipate having it wherever I move. I don't care about the WiFi. And I can schedule appointments myself. But it's not offered as a take it or leave it option. You have to take it.

Some of the other apartments have galley kitchens (not a problem usually) but I swear you probably can't open the refrigerator door or oven door all the way. Others I'd have walk in sideways.

So I'm guessing I sound kind of picky.

And you are so right...... I am pretty tired. Tomorrow things might look better?? Not sure about that.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:17 PM

4,666 posts, read 3,241,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Get a good night's sleep and maybe you'll feel differently in the morning.

I don't know if anyone has suggested you retain a real estate agent that handles rentals. I don't believe you pay for the apt hunting service, the apartment/home owner foots the bill.

If I were in your position, I'd probably settle for a not-so-great apartment with a one year lease, max. That should be more than enough time for you to familiarize yourself with the area and keep an eye out for an apt that is more suitable.

Don't give up.
I'm not usually a quitter. But fatigue can do it sometimes. I know I'll get my "old" self back in another day or two. But that drive...... wow. A little over 600 miles one way (if you count my stops and short times of being lost).

I have not heard about real estate agents who handle rentals. Is Googling them the best way to find out who and where they are? I like that idea if I can find one.

Thank you.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:39 PM

2,626 posts, read 4,951,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
I just got back from driving to Winston Salem in hopes of finding an apartment so I could move there in September. This was my third "search" trip and I'm not going to do it again. It's a heck of a drive and I do it by myself. It costs a few bucks, hotels, food, gas, etc. I am on a limited income, not a spring chicken, and truthfully, I'm worn out. I guess it was not an especially good plan. I don't have anyone living there that could help with knowing the area, having a place to stay, etc.

So now I need to take my wish hat off and be practical and real. Having that dream did a lot for me. I need to find something here that will give me the same "rush."

In truth, I am tired of being by myself trying to make things happen.

Guess this sounds a bit like "oh woe is me, poor me"...... sorry.

I'm usually more upbeat.
I truly feel your pain. Last month I took a road trip up to Lafayette, Indiana.....~ 1400 miles each way! Alone. I spent 8 days in Lafayette. The whole trip was 15 days. I was exhausted when I got back home. I met with a realtor up there and the next day she showed me three homes I had expressed interest in. She is continuing to email me links to other homes for sale which meet my criteria.

Many realtors handle rental properties. It should not be a problem finding one who does this.

Get some rest. It will probably take several days to come down from all the stress of your trip. Try to relax. Do you ever visit the Realtor dot com website? You can put in the city and look at homes for sale in the area. Good luck!

Old 06-13-2015, 07:41 PM

2,626 posts, read 4,951,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Popcorn,

Maybe Lafayette IN has just grown too much for you, more like a city. I would check out Western NC. I liked Black Mountain and many of the small towns around there. The winters are winters but not as bad as in the Northern U.S. I suggest getting your house in the hands of a realtor and making a W-NC trip, just to see if it's your kind of place.
I just checked on realtor dot com for homes for sale in Black Mountain - too much for my budget I also looked at Weaverville....again, too expensive.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:18 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,058,318 times
NYGal, I've been thinking about you and your trip...glad to see you made it back safe and sound, although I know how exhausted you are. I've driven 3 times across the country and when I think about it now, I don't now how I did it. I was young and fearless back then!

So I take it that the apt you were going there to see didn't work out? I know it's rough to make all these big decisions without any help, and it's very very costly to check out these places. I'm more or less in the same boat. I've started doing my research again and had to ask myself...who am I kidding that I can just move to (fill in the blank) all by myself, not knowing anybody, etc. It's very scary...even though NC isn't a real scary place, it's still a big change. Some places put me in fear more than others, not sure why that is. Are you now thinking of just staying in your current location and find a better apt? You know you have our support here on the Retirement thread no matter what you decide! Hang in there...

Old 06-13-2015, 08:27 PM

PhxBarb...I had no idea you have lived in PHX for 14 years...wow, you certainly have given it enough time to know it's not for you. I'm with you all the way on your summary of PHX, I could never live there. I'll be eager to hear how your trip to Columbia, MO goes...one of my best friend's son in law lives around there and they like it. Not sure how far it is to Kansas City, MO (good BBQ!) but that's suppose to be an interesting city too. Good luck and safe travels!

Old 06-13-2015, 08:32 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,987,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Yes but do check out the tornado history in Kansas. Not that tornados don't hit Missouri, but in the seven years I lived there, there were none in Columbia. Southern Missouri (Joplin area) seems to get hit, close to Oklahoma.

In the eighteen months I lived in Columbia, MO, there were two of them. Here is a listing of some of the worst ones.

A Brief Tornado History | KOMU.com | Columbia, MO |

Old 06-13-2015, 08:36 PM

Don't mean to get too personal but is that why you only lived there 18 months?

Old 06-13-2015, 08:44 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,987,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Don't mean to get too personal but is that why you only lived there 18 months?

I only needed eighteen months to complete my Master's degree. That why most people live there short term - it is a college town.

Old 06-13-2015, 11:37 PM
mlb

3,179 posts, read 2,855,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post

AZ is boring in my mind. There is really no culture here and the brown desert and cactus is not my idea of landscape. I have tried to garden and after 14 years have learned how, but I long for the good old midwest dirt. Education means very little here, especially if you have little kids. The schools are unfunded, teachers are leaving in droves, and the urban sprawl has gotten out of hand. You definitely need a car. You will see lots of retirees here, but unless you live in one of those 55+ communities, it's hard to make true friends. I have relied on my daughter and her hubby too much.

And although its 107 here today, the lack of trees and shade is a mystery to me. Why would you not encourage more tree planting all over the valley? My beautiful tree in my hot back yard had to be stripped because the flowers blew into the neighbor pool. So now there is little shade and way too much sun in a yard filled with rock. I really really miss green. And rain. And even snow. Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas are just another day here. Nothing very special. Putting lights on my house at Christmas does not do it for me.

Actually very little makes any sense in AZ. It seems the lack of interest is rampant. Most people would rather drive into their garages, shut the door and never come out again until the next day. Meeting neighbors has been difficult. I have concluded that people here truly want to be very private and it makes it hard to join stuff, cause there isn't anything to join. I tried a meet up group that were retirees, but all they did was go out to eat.

So, there you have it. I would never say this stuff on the Phoenix forum, cause I would be branded a "hater." But, after 14 years, I truly have had enough.
I'm a state above you in Utah.....and I understand completely.

Water is a huge issue and I would assume difficult to keep trees alive in 107 degrees in summer.

AZ is republican run and it shows.

Utah is much the same.

I hope you make it back to the green of the midwest......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement