U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2015, 01:04 PM

2,627 posts, read 4,957,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynned1952 View Post
I'm in the process of retiring and my plan is to go Rving. I have fam all along the east coast from NY to FL. Just the thought of not being stuck in one location is my retirement dream and yes I will be doing it alone but hope to make many many new friends. So that's the plan, anyone else?
I like your attitude I had elderly friends who lived in south Florida. They rv'd every summer....driving to Alaska. This is a great option for folks who want to either escape summer heat or winter cold....Rving!

Old 06-14-2015, 01:56 PM

4,685 posts, read 3,256,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
NYGal, I've been thinking about you and your trip...glad to see you made it back safe and sound, although I know how exhausted you are. I've driven 3 times across the country and when I think about it now, I don't now how I did it. I was young and fearless back then!

So I take it that the apt you were going there to see didn't work out? I know it's rough to make all these big decisions without any help, and it's very very costly to check out these places. I'm more or less in the same boat. I've started doing my research again and had to ask myself...who am I kidding that I can just move to (fill in the blank) all by myself, not knowing anybody, etc. It's very scary...even though NC isn't a real scary place, it's still a big change. Some places put me in fear more than others, not sure why that is. Are you now thinking of just staying in your current location and find a better apt? You know you have our support here on the Retirement thread no matter what you decide! Hang in there...
Wow, loveautumn, what you said made me feel better. Thank you.

I've been feeling a little like a "fool" for trying to do this. None of the women friends I have here think much of my dream. So not a whole lot of support here. So thank you for saying what you did about having your (and hopefully others) support no matter what. When I moved to Tyler, TX 20+ years ago and things went bad, a lot of people thought I was just nuts. But until you have that so-called "fire in your belly" to want something different, people just would not be able to understand. That first move may have turned out bad, but it showed me I can do it.

On the way down to NC I drove (on Rt. 81S) through Roanoke (probably outskirts) and really noticed how much I liked that area. I went into the Roanoke forum previously just to see what people wrote. Some love it, others don't. I see where someone in this forum described Roanoke as too religious. I'm thinking that doesn't have to be a problem if you don't let it be one.

The only major problem for me is money. Not enough of it. It would be better if I did not have the debt I have and I believe in being responsible for it and will get it paid. Might take a while, but I'm doing it.

Hope to continue hearing from you. You have an interesting story, too, and am very interested in finding out how you are doing and what you end up doing. Good luck to you!!

Old 06-14-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Dream View Post
Roanoke VA is the best place for single women (or couples) to retire. Very friendly, activities of all types thru out the year, beautiful mountain views, great weather, low housing cost (and low taxes and insurance.

This wonderful city is diverse with people from all over (CA, CO, NY, Chicago, etc). The historic district of Old Southwest or Grandin Village are wonderful, very friendly neighborhoods as well as condo living downtown. We retired here from New Orleans and just love everything about it !!!
I really enjoyed reading your post. I had read somewhere that VA was expensive to live in so didn't pursue a search. I did chat in the Roanoke thread with someone who seems to be well versed on the area. I think I'll go back to it and see what is there. Also, need to see about the cost of living. I'm retired on limited income (mainly due to what I owe and am trying to pay off).

If you have more info on Roanoke, VA that you would like to share, please do. Thanks!

Old 06-14-2015, 02:11 PM

4,575 posts, read 7,067,487 times
Virginia has always been one of the top places in my heart to retire to and I've visited some locations there over the years (all of them are now too high COL) but I do still have Fredericksburg and Roanoke on my list. I have to figure out if I can visit both of them in the same trip. Just from my prior visits, for some reason I feel completely at home in Virginia and always have.

NEG, thanks for the links!

Old 06-14-2015, 03:41 PM

2,464 posts, read 2,106,982 times
We looked a little at Roanoke about 2 years ago. We did like it- I believe cost wise it is relatively reasonable. (Other areas of Va are pricey but I don't think Roanoke is). One thing that I didn't like is that it's a bit on the hard to get to side. There is a small airport there, but I think if you fly into DC or wherever, it's a whole production. I don't think we would be traveling so much but somehow the airport thing has gained importance to me.
We were very impressed with how it seems to offer a LOT. There is a medical school there, universities in the close area, and our impression was that there seems to be a lot of money pouring in for development. Honestly it looks to be a very promising place.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:00 AM

3,911 posts, read 2,883,191 times
I have been to/thru Roanoke a few times and living in NC, it is nearby enough that I hear a lot about it. Most of it is very positive. When we visited, it was downtown taking the kids to a science museum and then to a park along the river. Very pretty and clean; there may be some run down areas but we didn't see them.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:21 AM

4,575 posts, read 7,067,487 times
My issue with Roanoke, Salem and similar places is that I'm definitely not a rural/country/small town gal. I think I would feel really like a fish out of water since I've lived in the burbs most of my life and had "city" amenities close by. But, yes, it is affordable.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:36 AM

3,911 posts, read 2,883,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
My issue with Roanoke, Salem and similar places is that I'm definitely not a rural/country/small town gal. I think I would feel really like a fish out of water since I've lived in the burbs most of my life and had "city" amenities close by. But, yes, it is affordable.
In the 2010 census the Roanoke metro area had 308,707 people. 2020 projection is over 325K.
Not a really big city by any stretch but I would not call it "rural/country/small town" either.

EDIT - Picture is a nice shot of downtown. There are smaller communities and businesses and what not in the other 3 quadrants similar to what you see trailing off to the top and left.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvedTones View Post
In the 2010 census the Roanoke metro area had 308,707 people. 2020 projection is over 325K.
Not a really big city by any stretch but I would not call it "rural/country/small town" either.

EDIT - Picture is a nice shot of downtown. There are smaller communities and businesses and what not in the other 3 quadrants similar to what you see trailing off to the top and left.
I enjoyed reading your post and looking at the picture.

I'm sort of at a dead-end with my wish to relocate. Most of that is because doing it from central NY is not an easy thing to do. It requires driving there and looking for an apartment. Being in early 70s and without much money (I have a heavy credit card debt), it appears I'll have to learn to be content with where I am.

I am currently living in a newly built (almost 4 years) senior complex with rent based upon income. I'm not happy here. I have alienated a few neighbors due to voicing an opinion on a couple of things that are important to me. My fault, need to learn to keep my mouth shut.

Don't have any plans yet for what else I may decide to do.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:45 AM

957 posts, read 1,445,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Dream View Post
Roanoke VA is the best place for single women (or couples) to retire. Very friendly, activities of all types thru out the year, beautiful mountain views, great weather, low housing cost (and low taxes and insurance.

This wonderful city is diverse with people from all over (CA, CO, NY, Chicago, etc). The historic district of Old Southwest or Grandin Village are wonderful, very friendly neighborhoods as well as condo living downtown. We retired here from New Orleans and just love everything about it !!!

So single men wouldn't be welcome? That is one place I was considering!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement