U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2015, 01:52 PM

4,662 posts, read 3,239,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backintheville2 View Post
So single men wouldn't be welcome? That is one place I was considering!
Tell me this is not a serious question. Please!!

Old 06-15-2015, 03:15 PM

3,911 posts, read 2,876,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Tell me this is not a serious question. Please!!
I doubt it is. I thinke he realizes that someone was replying largely to you as you were considering or at least dreaming about it.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:20 PM

2,626 posts, read 4,950,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Did you look at any of the other small college towns in Indiana or were you so focused on going back to Lafayette that you didn't bother? I think I mentioned how much Lafayette had grown, but it's always better to go and see for yourself

I think I suggested looking at Greencastle (home of DePauw) on your way through Indiana. When I visited there I found it to be quite charming. If I were going to stay a Hoosier, it would be at the top of my list. I would also check out Vincennes.

I'm sorry to hear that you've reached a standstill! I'm in a holding pattern because I want the car paid off before I head to Arizona. If there's any place that you'd like me to scout out for you, I'll be in NW Indiana for a few more months and would be glad to assist you.
Thanks for bringing up the idea of a small town not far from Lafayette. I did drive through Greencastle and Crawfordsville via 231 on my way to Lafayette. One of those towns might be a good compromise. I could still come up to the big city (Lafayette) on occasions. Greencastle is the home of universities. Deelighted, where do you currently live?

Old 06-15-2015, 04:33 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,971,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
My issue with Roanoke, Salem and similar places is that I'm definitely not a rural/country/small town gal. I think I would feel really like a fish out of water since I've lived in the burbs most of my life and had "city" amenities close by. But, yes, it is affordable.
Roanoke is a city, not a town. If you want big city, maybe a burb of Chicago, StL, Boston (pricey), Atlanta?

Old 06-15-2015, 07:29 PM

1,318 posts, read 833,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Thanks for bringing up the idea of a small town not far from Lafayette. I did drive through Greencastle and Crawfordsville via 231 on my way to Lafayette. One of those towns might be a good compromise. I could still come up to the big city (Lafayette) on occasions. Greencastle is the home of universities. Deelighted, where do you currently live?
I'm in Northwest Indiana about 45 minutes from Chicago. Think with Greencastle you would be about an hour away from both Indy and Lafayette. There's quite a few historic sites in the area, and I believe it might be a county seat. It is rather on the small side with a population of approx. 10,000. I was only in Greencastle once to visit my aunt who was in an assisted living community, but I was enchanted by the architecture and small town vibe.

Never been through Vincennes, but I'm sure there are other small town college areas you could explore
Notre Dame is also great but it's too dang close to the lake - dang lake effect snows are mind blowing!

Old 06-16-2015, 12:02 AM

4,967 posts, read 3,454,424 times
Knoxgarden, I'm going to see what the winter brings but think I will apply for senior housing in Knoxville. It will probably take a long time anyway. Looked at the site again & think I would fit.
Right now it is good for me to be here, close to family. My back is a bit better & it's soon time for my yearly physical & I'll ask her if I can go to physical therapy & see if I can't get stronger. Funny, I looked forward to living here, having spent so much time coming for visits, but I guess I lived in the city too long & although I certainly talked to my neighbors, I certainly didn't stick my nose into their business. Here everyone knows everything their neighbors are doing. A little too close for comfort for me.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:57 PM

6,123 posts, read 9,076,489 times
Knoxgarden is no longer on CD. But you can tell the rest of us your plans.

Old 06-17-2015, 05:21 AM

I have a retired cousin near Knoxville. She really likes it there.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:27 AM

4,967 posts, read 3,454,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvedTones View Post
I have a retired cousin near Knoxville. She really likes it there.
Part of me wants to stay here for the convenience. But, I had a really hard time last winter. The back opeation really set me back. Knoxville seems so nice & I would be just a couple of hours from nother brother, (Nashville). Knoxville seems to have enough of tbe 4 seasons so I could still relish a bit of snow, & it seems thereis a lot to do.
I do want my back to heal more but, the way it feels now I'm going to have to get a walker. We'll see.

I am going to visit first, then I will seriously think on what I am going to do. Nothing but my nephew keeps me here, plus the conviences that are in place.

What happened to knoxgarden?

Old 06-18-2015, 05:57 AM

Last winter was atypical in the eastern half of the US. It was just about the only large inhabited region in the world with below normal temperatures. They actually got a fair amount of snow last year in that part of TN. Anyway, keep that in mind if you visit and ask people about the climate. Most winters are not as cold and snowy as the last one, but they do get some cold snaps and snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement