U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2015, 10:29 AM

3,911 posts, read 2,879,340 times

Advertisements

"CARRABELLE FLA" - I have thought of looking in that area. I kind of want further down for even less of a winter but have lots of family in the panhandle. Around Carrabelle is about as far south as you can get on the panhandle. I have poked around online looking at Port St Joe and Mexico Beach and hadn't really found what looked like a good community at a reasonable price.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:32 AM

2,627 posts, read 4,952,863 times
I spent a couple days in the Port St. Joe area a few years ago. It is a lovely area. Just remember folks, hurricanes can happen.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:33 AM

2,524 posts, read 996,252 times
Look at condos in LANARK VILLAGE (but don't buy the one I'm going to see on Thurs next ) so cheap I am skeptical. Will see next week...

Old 06-19-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
Look at condos in LANARK VILLAGE (but don't buy the one I'm going to see on Thurs next ) so cheap I am skeptical. Will see next week...
One reservation I might have in that area would that the "beach" is behind large sand bars (small islands, sort of) and I think a lot of the water front is private, so for long strolls on the beach you would have to drive just down past Carabelle and for the full crashing waves beach experience further down and out to St George Island. They look like old concrete block efficiencies with not much near them so I would not be skeptical about the price as much as thinking about whether that is what you want long term. Not crazy far to outskirts of Gainesville, but fairly remote. Not really a vacation destination and not close to many jobs. Not bashing them but saying that is my opinion as to why they are low priced.

Last edited by ReachTheBeach; 06-19-2015 at 11:57 AM..

Old 06-19-2015, 11:28 AM

4,669 posts, read 3,246,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
I sold my house in 2013, couldn't afford it anymore as a widow, needed to liquidate the equity.
My one daughter there is moving to Sebastian FLA after her hubby finishes NP school (2017) so she won't be there anyhow. Other kids are scattered 'round.

Moved to a small 1BR apt in NC, way cheaper, while I find the blasted retirement place! Arrgh.

I needed to go somewhere cheaper, cost of living wise; while Roanoke is WAAAY cheaper than Palm Beach where I moved there from, it's more expensive than the places I'm looking to buy. I looked in MO and AR and AL also, the houses are very very cheap there but my budget is so low, 30K max to pay cash for a place.

This condo on CARRABELLE is 28K asking price, VERY basic, Spartan actually, which suits me as I am a minimalist for sure, walking distance to the beach, (never dreamed I'd get that perk at my price). I swear if it isn't all it seems online I shall wig out. I am so sick of not knowing where I'll end up.
Thank you, I should have read it before commenting.

When others talk about low income and then describe a place they are buying, etc., it makes me chuckle a little bit as I have no money to buy anything. Even coming up with extra money for security deposit, pet deposit/extra rent would be nearly impossible. That is why I have leaned so heavily on my credit card and therefore am in the position I am in today. Haven't made the best money decisions.

At one time I often thought about the if onlys, woulda, coulda, shoulda as to how I could have avoided my current situation. But the reality is I'm here because of what I have done. A bitter pill sometimes but at least I can't blame anyone else. Oh sure. If I had a better divorce lawyer. If I hadn't moved to TX for a job only to find it was no longer available once I had signed a lease, etc. But at the time I did not know the eventual outcome. A lot of my actions were driven by loneliness, some fear, lack of understanding why family members did what they did.

I used to dream of living by the ocean, working in a little boutique, walking with "my big dog" (never owned one). It just made me feel so good to think about that. Think I've seen too many movies, LOL.

Good wishes, good luck to you.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:27 PM

CarvedTones, yep, they're super basic units, no w/d even. That so suits me I cannot tell you. I wanted a studio, ideally.
While raising a family I had to have (or thought I had to give them) the whole middle class big house w/yard experience, but it was never my scene, really. Moreso a parenting decision I felt I "ought" to make.
Now that's it's just me I'm excited to live my way with virtually no possessions other than my books/dvds/cds.

I'm being told the beach is sandy and often deserted, that sounds rather awesome but maybe it isn't very long,as far as public part, like you say? In my price range I'm thrilled to have beach access at all, though.

Remote! yes, very. No jobs, no shopping. That probably does help keep it so cheap.
I'll be sure to report back after next week when I see in person.

NYgal2NC, I too have made horrible, idiotic decisions and am now paying the price for them, in all areas of life so I understand. I struggle with depression due to this; I tell my kids, the things YOU do wrong are SO MUCH harder to get over than the wrong that is done to you by others. At least, that's so for me. *hugs*

Old 06-19-2015, 01:09 PM

You will be right at the beginning of the Big Bend area which only has a few short stretches of beach. The shoreline is still a nice place IMO. It's just different than beach. You mentioned being in NC. It will be like Morehead City or Swansboro's "beach". And a short drive away will be St George Island. Google some pictures of that.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:55 PM

Oh that St George's looks gorgeous.
So if the beach within walking distance to the condo is not big enough for good walks I can go there easily enough. Excellent.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:07 PM

Carabelle has a decent stretch with a park also. Not as big or pretty but probably as close as the store.

Last edited by ReachTheBeach; 06-19-2015 at 02:39 PM..

Old 06-22-2015, 02:52 PM

5,628 posts, read 4,224,097 times
Right now my plan is to move back to TN.. and live in a home that has been passed down 4 generations now. Of course i have some time before that day arrives but i am anxiously waiting on it.

My main reason for going back (home) is because that's where my mom and dad are. Of course they could be gone by then and if so then my plans may change but if either are still with us then that's where i will be at least until they pass then perhaps i will move closer to my kids, who knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement