U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2015, 07:55 PM

2,228 posts, read 2,046,189 times

Advertisements

I live about 45 miles from where I shop, via mostly straight roads and a rural highway. I am looking to move closer to services because I don't think this is viable as I get older. The long drive gets harder and harder as I age. There is no public transport, taxis are extremely expensive, etc. So do think hard before making the decision to live that far away from town.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:35 PM

4,705 posts, read 3,272,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
PhxBarb, I too just got back this a.m. from a "recon mission" to check out this unit in CARRABELLE FLA, yes it is expensive to do these missions and I can't afford to do a bunch of them, that's for sure!

I loved the actual town BUT it is 50mi from a city of any kind of size with any amenities at all, that is, Tallahassee, and the 50mi is driven on 2 lane country roads through woods and woods galore for miles and miles with NOTHING in between for 20mi stretches.

The drive was stressful. The town itself was peaceful.
I'm mulling it all over in my head, how often would I really need to make that drive?

This town has NOTHING and I mean nothing in it but one grocery and a DollarStore.
Not that I NEED much more, I hate to shop, I would be spending my time at the beach and animal shelter volunteering, but am I underestimating the inconvenience of living in such a remote location?

Must think about it awhile.

NYgal2NC, THANK YOU for adopting from the shelter rather than buying from a "pet store" or breeder
Thank you for sharing your experience. Wow there is so much to consider when thinking of relocating. I want so much to get out of dodge, but have some other more important things to get straightened out before doing it.

You can always count on my adopting from a shelter. I recently got thrown out of Petland because I told everybody that was looking at the "cute little puppies" that they all came from a puppy mill. Wow, the employee got furious with me and really kicked me out.

As you may know I am trying to adopt a cat from our local SPCA. I cannot believe how hard this is. There are 330 cats in their building. I have given them all the paper they wanted, the phone numbers, the references, etc. They want proof my landlord is OK with it. I took them a letter on letterhead and that isn't good enough. They require a phone conversation .... good luck finding the manager of where I live to have a phone conversation. I've written a couple of letters. I am really P.O.'d. I wrote the CEO and asked him, what's next .... a sample of my blood?

Old 06-27-2015, 08:56 PM

4,577 posts, read 7,079,434 times
I don't think moving to such a remote location, alone, would be a good idea. As others have mentioned, as we grow older we need to be around stores, medical facilities, other people, etc. As least that's my opinion. Did you know this place was going to be so small? Maybe you could move to Tallahassee area where there are more things close by?

Old 06-28-2015, 03:10 AM

2,629 posts, read 4,965,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I don't think moving to such a remote location, alone, would be a good idea. As others have mentioned, as we grow older we need to be around stores, medical facilities, other people, etc. As least that's my opinion. Did you know this place was going to be so small? Maybe you could move to Tallahassee area where there are more things close by?
I looked into the idea of moving up to Tallahassee. Then, I read about the high crime there....no thanks.

Old 06-28-2015, 05:03 AM

2,524 posts, read 1,002,306 times
NYgal, what the heck? I know a shelter needs proof the landlord allows animals and I agree with that as some folks may lie, then the dog or cat gets tossed out on the street when landlord gets on the tenant for having an "illegal resident" BUT having a letter on letterhead paper I would THINK would be sufficient?!?
Have you asked if they'd accept an email from the landlord?

If you cannot get the cat at the SPCA due to them not being able to get ahold of your landlord I'd suggest getting one of the ones on Craigslist, people who allow their animals to breed have "free kittens" and often and even sadder, adult cats on there ALL the time here by me, I am guessing it is the same up there.
I get nauseous when I see all the animals on Craigslist, any animal offered on there needs you just as the shelter wastrels do, poor darlings. More, in a way as the folks who put them on there don't screen any potential owners as the shelter does and these unwanteds end up in bad homes as people who know they wouldn't qualify at the shelter, will go to Craigslist to get them.

loveautumn, those are my thoughts. I DID know the facts of the place but until I TOOK that scary (to me) drive I didn't realize how stressful it'd be.

My problem finding a place is I have very little money. 30K MAX to buy a place. So for that price I am finding remote (but safe) OR convenient (but high crime).

Old 06-28-2015, 05:22 AM

967 posts, read 921,771 times
OverItAll, I just wanted to let you know of a small town in Kansas that a friend moved to from Az a couple years ago..... they love it there and houses are really cheap. $30,000 would buy a decent one. it's called Goodland, Kansas. Check it out if you are at all interested. Good luck on your move!

Old 06-28-2015, 07:39 AM

4,705 posts, read 3,272,352 times
Quote:
NYgal, what the heck? I know a shelter needs proof the landlord allows animals and I agree with that as some folks may lie, then the dog or cat gets tossed out on the street when landlord gets on the tenant for having an "illegal resident" BUT having a letter on letterhead paper I would THINK would be sufficient?!?
Have you asked if they'd accept an email from the landlord?

If you cannot get the cat at the SPCA due to them not being able to get ahold of your landlord I'd suggest getting one of the ones on Craigslist, people who allow their animals to breed have "free kittens" and often and even sadder, adult cats on there ALL the time here by me, I am guessing it is the same up there.
I get nauseous when I see all the animals on Craigslist, any animal offered on there needs you just as the shelter wastrels do, poor darlings. More, in a way as the folks who put them on there don't screen any potential owners as the shelter does and these unwanteds end up in bad homes as people who know they wouldn't qualify at the shelter, will go to Craigslist to get them.

loveautumn, those are my thoughts. I DID know the facts of the place but until I TOOK that scary (to me) drive I didn't realize how stressful it'd be.

My problem finding a place is I have very little money. 30K MAX to buy a place. So for that price I am finding remote (but safe) OR convenient (but high crime).
Oh, I never thought of CL to look for a cat. That is a wonderful tip. Thank you.

I see you are from Statesville, NC. I looked at an apartment there and because it had MAA Direct I didn't go for it. It was pretty and new complex, very nice, liked a lot. But that MAA (it could have been MCC I forgot now), but it was not presented as a choice. It's a permanent fixture with the complex. It is an extra $50 added to the rent. I could have paid the rent with no problem, but the extra $50 for something I did not feel I needed? And could not afford. Crazy.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:04 AM

27 posts, read 32,272 times
Quote:
I wonder if you've considered the Space Coast of Florida at all? Real estate in FL in general has taken quite a hit, but of course it continues to be overpriced in plenty of the so-called 'desirable' areas. I'm in the southernmost part of Hillsborough county, for instance, and even here people are overpaying for run of the mill new construction. Great for me as a homeowner with designs on selling in a couple years, but not so great for the young families and retirees on limited incomes.

I digress! My parents live on the other side of the state in Melbourne, and while lots of property over there on the water is overpriced, there are deals to be had on places people are trying to unload so they can get out of FL altogether. You know how this state is about turnover, especially in recent years. Places like Palm Bay and Barefoot Bay in south Brevard County can offer some mobile homes and condos in your budget, if you look hard enough and aren't picky about updates, which I know from following your story that you're not. Of course there are association fees in Brevard, unlike Carrabelle, but you're close to good medical care and ample shopping, as well as the beach.

Places are going fast, but with a decent Realtor you could get into the market at a great price, I bet. I'm not sure if this is allowed here, but if you direct message me I can send you the contact information for a good friend of my mom's over there who is a Realtor. She's a great person who I trust completely, and she would work hard to find you a safe place that you could afford.

There's also a dog beach in Jupiter, and if you go far enough down (near Barefoot Bay) in Brevard people walk dogs on the beach and no one ever says a word, even though it's technically not allowed. There's no one there to care, honestly, because the population density is low in the south end of the county. There are lots of resources for seniors there as well, which is nice when you're on your own.

If the Space Coast doesn't appeal, that's totally understandable. It's further south and much less remote than the sleepy Forgotten Coast (which I also love!) But I hate that you're doing this without the help of your kids, especially because I have retirement-age parents who I would do just about anything for. Here are just a few examples of places on the market currently in your price range that I found on realtor.com. I didn't investigate the locations on each of them (Titusville in particular, which is the northernmost part of the county, I don't know that much about) but like I said, a good Realtor will make sure to steer you to safe areas.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...5-76238?row=31
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...8-61672?row=24
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...1-62398?row=84
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...-93605?row=136
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...7-61704?row=15
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...4-26814?row=54

All of these communities have libraries (I have worked in a couple of them) and there's a bus system that covers the bulk of the county, in case you're ever in need of it.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:18 AM

10,425 posts, read 8,807,785 times
7,537 replies...wow... I think we have a consensus here.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:51 AM

6,138 posts, read 9,119,409 times
NYgal: Just wanted to tell you that a group of people successfully picketed the Petland in our mall and forced them out. The place is now an adoption center run by the Animal Welfare League, a favorite of mine cause my cat came from there. People come in to see the dogs and cats, just like before, but they are all rescues, not high priced puppy mill animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement