U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2015, 08:57 AM

2,626 posts, read 4,948,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerlibrarian View Post
I wonder if you've considered the Space Coast of Florida at all? Real estate in FL in general has taken quite a hit, but of course it continues to be overpriced in plenty of the so-called 'desirable' areas. I'm in the southernmost part of Hillsborough county, for instance, and even here people are overpaying for run of the mill new construction. Great for me as a homeowner with designs on selling in a couple years, but not so great for the young families and retirees on limited incomes.

I digress! My parents live on the other side of the state in Melbourne, and while lots of property over there on the water is overpriced, there are deals to be had on places people are trying to unload so they can get out of FL altogether. You know how this state is about turnover, especially in recent years. Places like Palm Bay and Barefoot Bay in south Brevard County can offer some mobile homes and condos in your budget, if you look hard enough and aren't picky about updates, which I know from following your story that you're not. Of course there are association fees in Brevard, unlike Carrabelle, but you're close to good medical care and ample shopping, as well as the beach.

Places are going fast, but with a decent Realtor you could get into the market at a great price, I bet. I'm not sure if this is allowed here, but if you direct message me I can send you the contact information for a good friend of my mom's over there who is a Realtor. She's a great person who I trust completely, and she would work hard to find you a safe place that you could afford.

There's also a dog beach in Jupiter, and if you go far enough down (near Barefoot Bay) in Brevard people walk dogs on the beach and no one ever says a word, even though it's technically not allowed. There's no one there to care, honestly, because the population density is low in the south end of the county. There are lots of resources for seniors there as well, which is nice when you're on your own.

If the Space Coast doesn't appeal, that's totally understandable. It's further south and much less remote than the sleepy Forgotten Coast (which I also love!) But I hate that you're doing this without the help of your kids, especially because I have retirement-age parents who I would do just about anything for. Here are just a few examples of places on the market currently in your price range that I found on realtor.com. I didn't investigate the locations on each of them (Titusville in particular, which is the northernmost part of the county, I don't know that much about) but like I said, a good Realtor will make sure to steer you to safe areas.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...5-76238?row=31
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...8-61672?row=24
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...1-62398?row=84
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...-93605?row=136
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...7-61704?row=15
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...4-26814?row=54

All of these communities have libraries (I have worked in a couple of them) and there's a bus system that covers the bulk of the county, in case you're ever in need of it.
The cost of a home or condo is just the beginning. The cost of homeowners' insurance, especially on the coast can be outrageous. Just consider this. Carefully. I live 12 miles inland, in a 50+ year old, small house. I pay $4500.00 a year for insurance. Flood insurance is separate, it is about $450.00 yearly for me.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:00 AM

27 posts, read 31,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
The cost of a home or condo is just the beginning. The cost of homeowners' insurance, especially on the coast can be outrageous. Just consider this. Carefully. I live 12 miles inland, in a 50+ year old, small house. I pay $4500.00 a year for insurance. Flood insurance is separate, it is about $450.00 yearly for me.
Both good points. I don't live in a flood zone so I only have regular insurance to worry about, but of course that would also apply to the place she was looking at in Carrabelle. I assume she's thought about some of these things already. Real estate is tricky for sure, which is why I always suggest a trustworthy professional to help guide you.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:10 AM

4,653 posts, read 3,235,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
NYgal: Just wanted to tell you that a group of people successfully picketed the Petland in our mall and forced them out. The place is now an adoption center run by the Animal Welfare League, a favorite of mine cause my cat came from there. People come in to see the dogs and cats, just like before, but they are all rescues, not high priced puppy mill animals.
It's a shame they continue in their business. I go to PetCo where cat coalition has cats that are rescued. I know they charge, but since they put a lot of money into the health of the rescued animals, I have no problem paying that. But I somehow feel really bad for the SPCA animals and today cannot understand the hard time they are giving me to adopt a cat from there. Long story.

I had a friend (key word here is "had") who wanted a dog. A specific type of dog. I told her to go to the SPCA and look around. They have all kinds there, even purebreds, but no she just HAD to spend $500 (sale price!!) for the dog and then another $500 for "necessary" equipment. This was at Petland. She has the money so I wasn't concerned about that. I was angry she would not consider giving a homeless animal a good home. She was like a child about it and to tell the truth, I gave up the friendship. More than one reason.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:11 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,723,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerlibrarian View Post
I wonder if you've considered the Space Coast of Florida at all? Real estate in FL in general has taken quite a hit, but of course it continues to be overpriced in plenty of the so-called 'desirable' areas. I'm in the southernmost part of Hillsborough county, for instance, and even here people are overpaying for run of the mill new construction. Great for me as a homeowner with designs on selling in a couple years, but not so great for the young families and retirees on limited incomes.
It's all relative to what a given person thinks real estate prices "should" be. If your point of comparison is the bottom of the 2008/2009 crash, well then anything which has recovered at all is now "overpriced". Or using the same point of comparison, one could say that anything which has not recovered much is "underpriced". As you yourself pointed out, the opinion is strongly colored by whether one is a potential seller or a potential buyer, which only underlines the relativity of the whole matter. Two points stand out:

1. All real estate is ultimately local. To use some extremes to make the point, prices in New York City have little relation to prices on the Space Coast of Florida, and the latter probably have little relation to prices in the middle of Kansas, being that coastal Florida is more sought after. Even within the same general area, prices vary: A home 30 miles from DC will cost more than its identical counterpart 60 miles from DC, if the quality of the neighborhoods is also equal.

2. The market value of anything is simply what others are willing to pay for it. And particularly in real estate, that willingness changes over time and with economic conditions. Therefore if what you are calling "overpriced" is selling in reasonable time frames, then it is not really overpriced - it is priced correctly.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:47 AM

4,960 posts, read 3,451,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artangel View Post
OverItAll, I just wanted to let you know of a small town in Kansas that a friend moved to from Az a couple years ago..... they love it there and houses are really cheap. $30,000 would buy a decent one. it's called Goodland, Kansas. Check it out if you are at all interested. Good luck on your move!
Ummm, snowstorm on May 20. Does that happen often that late in the year? I know you weren't targeting me but thought I'd take a look.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:49 AM

14,253 posts, read 23,969,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
It's a shame they continue in their business. I go to PetCo where cat coalition has cats that are rescued. I know they charge, but since they put a lot of money into the health of the rescued animals, I have no problem paying that. But I somehow feel really bad for the SPCA animals and today cannot understand the hard time they are giving me to adopt a cat from there. Long story.

I had a friend (key word here is "had") who wanted a dog. A specific type of dog. I told her to go to the SPCA and look around. They have all kinds there, even purebreds, but no she just HAD to spend $500 (sale price!!) for the dog and then another $500 for "necessary" equipment. This was at Petland. She has the money so I wasn't concerned about that. I was angry she would not consider giving a homeless animal a good home. She was like a child about it and to tell the truth, I gave up the friendship. More than one reason.

I last purchased a dog from the St. Louis City Animal Shelter and paid $35 for a stray and that included spaying. I was at the same place last year and now they want $350+ for a dog. In addition, nearly every dog that was available was either a pit-bull or a pit-bull mix, a breed that I have NO desire to deal with.

$500 sounds like a bargain.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:03 AM

1,983 posts, read 2,631,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
PhxBarb, I too just got back this a.m. from a "recon mission" to check out this unit in CARRABELLE FLA, yes it is expensive to do these missions and I can't afford to do a bunch of them, that's for sure!

I loved the actual town BUT it is 50mi from a city of any kind of size with any amenities at all, that is, Tallahassee, and the 50mi is driven on 2 lane country roads through woods and woods galore for miles and miles with NOTHING in between for 20mi stretches.

The drive was stressful. The town itself was peaceful.
I'm mulling it all over in my head, how often would I really need to make that drive?

This town has NOTHING and I mean nothing in it but one grocery and a DollarStore.
Not that I NEED much more, I hate to shop, I would be spending my time at the beach and animal shelter volunteering, but am I underestimating the inconvenience of living in such a remote location?

Must think about it awhile.

NYgal2NC, THANK YOU for adopting from the shelter rather than buying from a "pet store" or breeder
Having lived 16 years in Tallahassee, and driven through Carrabelle a number of times, I can tell you that your impression of Carrabelle is accurate. There is nothing there, and very little for miles around. Granted, Apalachicola has another grocery store and a couple of restaurants, and St. George Island has a beautiful state park and a couple of restaurants, but that's about it.

Medical care, shopping, any semblance of cultural life, airport, restaurants with offerings beyond fried fish -- are all 50+ miles away in Tallahassee, and as you've noted, you have to go through the dense forest of the Apalachicola National Forest to get there.

Carrabelle is cheap for a reason. But if you're looking for a VERY quiet life, Carrabelle may be ok for you.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:59 AM

2,524 posts, read 994,206 times
I looked at KANSAS, also MO, Ll, WV, NC and SC (online that is) and yep found darling tiny houses for cheap, have them all saved to my favorites list. Many in KS and MO.
The thing is I can't afford to visit them all in person, this FLA trip was near $1000 w/plane/hotel/car rental etc.
I made this trip thinking this was a VERY likely possibility. I now know I MUST go in person as HEARING about that drive and DRIVING through a vast forest are different things I found out.

Nygal I don't want to get started on that soapbox, people like your ex-friend need to visit the kill room at a shelter and watch the HUGE NUMBERS of unwanted animals of all breeds/type/ages be killed and then she neeeds to give that $500 to a RESCUE. She sounds like a clueless idiot who wants a puppy for the wrong reasons and I'd say that to her face readily. I won't say more for fear of inciting enmity as my views on that subject are strong.
Look on Craigslist, you'll cry. Peeps offering their cats age 8, 10.12...all ages and kittens by the basketful.

I am well familiar w/Space Coast, (I lived in SoFla from 1979-2001 but I had a rich hubby then, now I'm poor), I did look into the nifty MH parks for seniors and LOVED them. BUT the lot rents ranged from $300-$600 so that's out for me. Insurance doesn't apply to MHs as they are "uninsurable" I was told. I couldn't afford insurance anyhow.

To everyone, thanks so much for posting with suggestions, it means a lot to me as I am unused to asking anyone for anything and am loath to do so, and am touched when anyone bothers to offer help even just suggestions *hugs*

Old 06-28-2015, 10:22 PM

2,524 posts, read 994,206 times
TYPO in post above: AL not LI

I went to see a house in ROCKINGHAM NC today, I'd gone there awhile ago to see another place there and liked the town a lot. The place I saw awhile ago was in a great neighborhood and tiny and darling but needed TOTAL rehab as in I mean everything was from the 1930s-1960s and not well maintained so I passed on it.

This place is also tiny, is very well maintained, I would need to do only cosmetics and not a lot of that, BUT is in a less nice neighborhood.
If I were concerned with resale that would matter but I'm not.
The section it's in is odd. It's within a few (like, less than 3) blocks of a VERY nice kinda fancy neighborhood with big beautiful old houses.
The street this place is on has some cute well maintained places and some shabby and neglected.
I drove around and the streets around it are the same (except for the fancy streets) as in there are very nice "yuppie" type places and some crappy ones right next door to a Martha Stewart looking place.

This is new for me. I'm used to 'hoods being more homogeneous.

Gawd I'm tired of looking

Old 06-29-2015, 01:09 AM

4,404 posts, read 5,917,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
TYPO in post above: AL not LI

I went to see a house in ROCKINGHAM NC today, I'd gone there awhile ago to see another place there and liked the town a lot. The place I saw awhile ago was in a great neighborhood and tiny and darling but needed TOTAL rehab as in I mean everything was from the 1930s-1960s and not well maintained so I passed on it.

This place is also tiny, is very well maintained, I would need to do only cosmetics and not a lot of that, BUT is in a less nice neighborhood.
If I were concerned with resale that would matter but I'm not.
The section it's in is odd. It's within a few (like, less than 3) blocks of a VERY nice kinda fancy neighborhood with big beautiful old houses.
The street this place is on has some cute well maintained places and some shabby and neglected.
I drove around and the streets around it are the same (except for the fancy streets) as in there are very nice "yuppie" type places and some crappy ones right next door to a Martha Stewart looking place.

This is new for me. I'm used to 'hoods being more homogeneous.

Gawd I'm tired of looking
I'm sure you may have mentioned this, but is there a reason you want to buy and not just rent something economical?

As for the post above about Tallahassee crime statistics: I don't know about Tallahassee specifically, but crime statistics can really be misleading. Sometimes most of that crime takes place in the "'hood" sections of a city, and if you don't hang out in the 'hood, you're not likely to be affected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement