Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2015, 07:47 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,879,188 times

Advertisements

You guys don't get it
I too was once middle class and I get that mentality. When one has the luxury of many choices. Lived that way for many years.

Yep I drove past the chicken plant, made me very sad as I am an animal advocate. It's miles out of the town limits.

I am POOR. I cannot afford a nice neighborhood. Ha "dynamics of the neighborhood" blue collar/working poor I am certain and all that comes along with that.
Things like chicken plants and other undesirable stuff is now my reality.

This little shanty down in shantytown (or equivalent) is what I can afford.

I am a minimalist who even if rich would have a SMALL place under 600sf.
The only difference would be it'd be in Key West

I like poor folks, I get along better with them than I ever did with my snooty neighbors/Stepford Wife housewives I used to pal around with.

Thanks WellShone for the good wishes Prob hasn't sold yet as the neighborhood is hodgepodge. Also racially mixed. Investors would buy it to rent. Few would want to live in such a tiny house if they could afford bigger.

Last edited by VexedAndSolitary; 06-29-2015 at 08:00 AM..

Old 06-29-2015, 08:25 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,798,443 times
Do you know who Jeff Yeager, the Ultimate Cheapskate is? If not you should check your library to see if they have "How to Retire the Cheapskate Way". He tells you in the book that if you bought the book instead of checking it out, you may need a "Cheapskate Intervention". He is all about owning small but comfortable, staying totally out of debt outside of a mortgage and not retiring while you owe anything on a mortgage. So what you are doing is exactly what he prescribes to some degree (preferred is getting a "forever home" as first home, but changing homes at retirement to eliminate a mortgage is an alternative). YouTube and TLC have made him more famous for the day to day thrifty ideas, some of which are off putting to a lot of people (he does sacrifice quality at times IMO and I am a fan) but in the book you get more of the overall philosophy which I am very much in agreement with, especially as it relates to retirement.

EDIT - BTW, I did not mean to imply that the chicken plant was a negative. In fact to some degree I meant the opposite. Knowing why property isn't in hot demand (if it is the reason) makes me feel better than not knowing, especially if the reason doesn't bother me. Because of my upbringing, chicken plants don't bother me.

Last edited by ReachTheBeach; 06-29-2015 at 08:35 AM..

Old 06-29-2015, 08:31 AM

I don't know him but I bet I live as he recommends.
I have no debt, never have had ANY except a mortgage. Always pay credit card off in full every month.
Always buy cars w/cash and keep them forever ( I have my 2001 Corolla I bought in 2002 for 14K and maintain it religiously)
Always shop at thrift stores did this even when I was a Stepford Wife

I am a pocketbook snob though and do have really nice handbags and one of a kind custom jewelry from my old life but am thinking of selling the diamond wedding set (over 3 carats) if I knew how to do so without getting cheated

I did make idiotic decisions though as far as spending in general like eating out a LOT, kids got lots of expensive stuff, vacations.
That's all over with now.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:42 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,798,443 times
Here is a summary of the retirement strategy written by Jeff Yeager:
5 Rules for a Comfortable and Stress-Free Cheapskate Retirement

Yes, your current mindset is very much in tune. "Simple sizing" is what he calls it.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:12 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times
Some great news!

Some of you know that I have had a struggle to adopt a cat from the SPCA after having had to put my older sweetie down due to a bad heart.

Well! My new kitty came home today!! I am so thrilled. She sniffed the place all over and then disappeared... can't find her hiding spot.... maybe catching up her energy.

I am very happy today. When I think about the agony of last week, I am truly grateful for this sweet girl.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:33 AM

Oh awesome

Old 06-29-2015, 12:20 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,293,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...9_M66021-89924

This is the mansion I am talking about buying . That may clear up confusion
I thought it looked sweet. Very comfortable.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:22 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times
OverItAll: I so admire how you are recognizing what you can and cannot do and what you are willing to do. Will you be buying that cute house?

I want to move to NC too but can't quite get out of the forest so I can see the trees. Hope that makes some sense. I have no talent for fixing things that need fixing in a house. Never learned from anyone and too chicken to just do it and see what happens. I've been stuck on Winston-Salem, not considering the smaller towns. I have made a few trips there trying to find an apartment but they are either too expensive or too much not to my liking. I'm not young (73) and haven't had to deal with a lot of "kid" noise in years. Thin walls, etc. make it impossible if you live next to the "wrong" people. A few people here have suggested looking into a house but I always said no. I do not have much money, either, but it is a steady monthly income that is deposited into my bank every month. So for me that represents security.

I am enjoying reading about your journey. You are an inspiration.

Good luck to you!

Old 06-29-2015, 03:29 PM

30,523 posts, read 16,217,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I thought it looked sweet. Very comfortable.
that's cute! And I think very low maintainence which is a good thing.

Old 06-29-2015, 05:34 PM

I know, right? Painted a lovely color, with shutters, a much nicer front door w/glass insert it'd be darling.
I'm gonna get a GC to go over it and go forward probabaly depending on what he says.

Nygal nah I am a realist that's for sure, that's all. One of my few good traits.
Winston-Salem is cool, I like going through it when I go to VA but if you really like NC you should investigate the smaller and cheaper towns. Statesville is cheaper than WS but too high for me to buy a house (at my 30K max the houses are in the 'hood here) though the apartments are pretty cheap.
The town (Rockingham) the house is in is even cheaper.
ASHEBORO (not to be confused with ASHEVILLE which is expensive) I loved when I saw a house there and it is pretty cheap too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement