U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2015, 12:31 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,988,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
We just now stepped outside to view a rare occurrence in the heavens...the conjunction of Jupiter and Venus. Venus appears as super big (though Jupiter is much bigger), in between Jupiter and Earth. It's a beautiful sight for anyone who feels like peeking. Venus looks like a jewel.

Venus and Jupiter Meet At Last
OOps meant to post this in Chat. Must've been out of it when I posted after looking up at the planets, then fell asleep and I just woke up to the sound of one of the dogs yelping in her dream. Back to topic! Now to try to get back to sleep.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:37 AM

4,408 posts, read 5,931,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
Because renting would be X dollars (say, $500) from now until I drop dead.
If I stay alive even five years, at $500/mo that equals 30k.
So if I buy a place for 30K or under, after 5 years I'm living for "free" so to speak.
If I thought I was going to live 5yr or less, it'd make much more sense to rent.
I can't afford to pay $500 rent for always, my money will run out. SS widow's benefits are still 8 years away for me.
OK, I was just asking because it sounded like you only HAD $30K, and perhaps you would need to keep that money as an emergency fund rather than sink it all on a house. But I could be getting your situation confused with NY's. Anyway, have you totally given up on Carrabelle? It really does sound incredible that there could be stretches of white sandy beach that haven't been scooped up by developers, but then again I live in the crowded Tampa Bay area. I've never been to the Panhandle; maybe would be an interesting trip sometime.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:04 AM

4,680 posts, read 3,253,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Please remember that this BK stays on your credit for 10 years and if you hope to move anywhere, the apt management will be checking your credit rating (which will be ruined) and this is a big red flag. You may have a lot of difficulty renting in a new location.

Glad to hear you finally got your new roommate!
My new roommate has kept me laughing since I got her home. What a difference a pet can make.

Yes, have heard that about BK. I am thinking more about working with the credit union rather than BK. I want to move, probably not this year, but hopefully next. And I don't want anything to tarnish my credit if I can help it. I am moving the lowest credit card to a 0% interest for 18 months and I'm going to work at paying that off. So it will be one bill down, 3 more to go.

After reading so many wonderful comments here I have felt very supported in my situation. I'm re-thinking where I want to re-locate. When I was in Winston-Salem I noticed what a busy place that is and think I probably would just want to visit there for some shopping, medical appts., but live in a calmer neighborhood. As I have mentioned before I have glaucoma and have had a few surgeries for that. While I was in W-S, the last visit I had a GPS which would tell me to turn on such and such a street, etc. But when it came to reading the name of the street, I couldn't make the name out. It takes a while to familiarize myself where streets and places are. My ophthalmologist said I may need another surgery in right eye to "fix" what was done previously.

Have you made any progress with finding your place to relocate to?

Old 06-30-2015, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Is your Social Security check deposited in a credit union account? Are your loans with the same credit union?

Yes, everything is with the credit union. I am going to try to get there today, too. Lots of stuff I need to do today. What doesn't happen today will happen tomorrow.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:44 AM

2,524 posts, read 997,573 times
Ha Avalon08 no I have 30K to allott to buying a house. No wonder you thought I was a moron Still debating in my head abt CARRABELLE, love love it but that DRIVE to TH is the thing.

Nygal look at CLEMMONS and MOCKSVILLE. Easy peasy drive to WS and cute as can be. Also Statesville where I am, you can PM me for specifics as to areas and apt.

Sure a bankruptcy shall "ruin" your credit but landlords who see you have a guaranteed fixed income every month may overlook the BK knowing your income is certain, as opposed to a job you could potentially lose.

Also being a golden gal if you explain the situation, it may be viewed differently by a landlord versus if you were a young, marginally employed irresponsible kid. "Profiling" in this case could work in your favor, a "little old lady" who is bankrupt may get an apt whereas a 30 y/o with facial piercings working at Pizza Hut who has a bankruptcy may not.
They'd know you would be unlilkely to wreck the place, have guaranteed income, they may not care about the BK.

Last edited by VexedAndSolitary; 06-30-2015 at 06:57 AM.. Reason: ACK typos!

Old 06-30-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
Ha Avalon08 no I have 30K to allott to buying a house. No wonder you thought I was a moron Still debating in my head abt CARRABELLE, love love it but that DRIVE to TH is the thing.

Nygal look at CLEMMONS and MOCKSVILLE. Easy peasy drive to WS and cute as can be. Also Statesville where I am, you can PM me for specifics as to areas and apt.

Sure a bankruptcy shall "ruin" your credit but landlords who see you have a guaranteed fixed income every month may overlook the BK knowing your income is certain, as opposed to a job you could potentially lose.

Also being a golden gal if you explain the situation, it may be viewed differently by a landlord versus if you were a young, marginally employed irresponsible kid. "Profiling" in this case could work in your favor, a "little old lady" who is bankrupt may get an apt whereas a 30 y/o with facial piercings working at Pizza Hut who has a bankruptcy may not.
They'd know you would be unlilkely to wreck the place, have guaranteed income, they may not care about the BK.

I am pretty sure with everything, all accounts, checking-saving-2 loans-2 credit cards --- all with the credit union. No banks.

I have been told I will have a very difficult time trying to get BK through a CU.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:04 AM

I'm currently involved with trying to get something done with Amazon with people who have terrible accents, don't know what their jobs are, transfer me to another company (probably because they don't know what else to do with me), and that other company person with another miserable accent.

No wonder USA is going to heck in a hand-basket. Let's outsource some more jobs!!!! Grrr

When I get this other problem resolved, I will P.M. you, OverItAll.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:55 AM

I hope I can help! I've been in NC since 2013 and know most of the towns around here since I looked for houses in most of them. Statesville I can give you a lot of specific info on but it may be further from WS than you'd like.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:15 AM

4,574 posts, read 7,065,022 times
NYgal, sorry to hear about your glaucoma issues, but these surgeons can do wonders these days! No real progress on my search, although I'm seriously coming to grips on whether I really could live in the south, for a lot of various reasons. I've always felt in my gut that I couldn't even though some places "look good on paper" and the COL is good. Hope you get some things accomplished today!

Old 06-30-2015, 10:52 AM

loveautumn, just curious, why do you say you couldn't?
I'm from BROOKLYN NY originally, lived 22 years in Broward and Palm Beach FLA, then my first experience with the South (Palm Beach and Ft Laud are NOT the south, culturally) was moving to ROANOKE VA there for 12 years now in NC for 2.
I like it. The only negative for me has been not being able to get certain foods/brands and the lack of diners and bagel joints
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement