U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2015, 12:33 PM

4,997 posts, read 3,488,092 times

Advertisements

Lol, overitall, after living in San Francisco for 3 wonderful years & I still miss lox & bagels. Say lox in Minnesota & you'll get a blank stare.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:53 PM

3,365 posts, read 3,067,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Yes, everything is with the credit union. I am going to try to get there today, too. Lots of stuff I need to do today. What doesn't happen today will happen tomorrow.
  • The first thing that you are going to want to do is to remove whatever funds you have on account with that credit union prior to filing.
Credit Unions And Your Bankruptcy Case

Old 06-30-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
  • The first thing that you are going to want to do is to remove whatever funds you have on account with that credit union prior to filing.
Credit Unions And Your Bankruptcy Case
Please, please listen to us. Legal Aid should be your first call.

Old 06-30-2015, 02:09 PM

4,577 posts, read 7,080,760 times
Well, since you asked , here are some reasons why I might not adapt to the south very well. And I agree, I don't consider Florida the south either.

Weather, I truly don't know if I could handle the heat/humidity (but I realize I am spoiled coming from CA). Although some heat does feel good on my bones. But the thought of being house-bound for like 5 months with the heat there would really get to me. I like summer, and what's the point if one has to stay indoors all day? That would be very hard for me.

Bugs - but these I could probably adjust to?

I am Catholic and there are very few Catholic churches in most areas. Raleigh and Charlotte do have a couple but some of the smaller cities/towns don't have any. I'm used to living where there are a lot of different faiths, not just Protestant/Evangelical.

I really can't tolerate being called "hon", "sweetie", etc. This is a personal thing with me but I just don't like it, and find it irritating.

I definitely couldn't live in a rural area, I'm a suburban gal...but like the idea of having some city life close by.

I don't give a hoot about the Civil War.

I like Southern architecture but don't like all that hanging moss stuff. Seems like there are a lot of pines but that it about it...but I could be wrong about that. Physical beauty of a place is important to me.

These are not any criticism of the south, or the people there...just my personal thoughts.

Question, did you like Roanoke and what made you leave there after so many years to move to NC?
I really would like to live in Virginia but that's probably as far south as I think I could go. thx.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:04 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,027,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
I'm currently involved with trying to get something done with Amazon with people who have terrible accents, don't know what their jobs are, transfer me to another company (probably because they don't know what else to do with me), and that other company person with another miserable accent.

No wonder USA is going to heck in a hand-basket. Let's outsource some more jobs!!!! Grrr
These are not accents. This is their attempt at grasping English. It's amazing that they could even learn our language. What you hear is a lot like what you would sound like if you were speaking Indian or Vietnamese, etc.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:10 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,027,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
Sure a bankruptcy shall "ruin" your credit but landlords who see you have a guaranteed fixed income every month may overlook the BK knowing your income is certain, as opposed to a job you could potentially lose.

Also being a golden gal if you explain the situation, it may be viewed differently by a landlord versus if you were a young, marginally employed irresponsible kid. "Profiling" in this case could work in your favor, a "little old lady" who is bankrupt may get an apt whereas a 30 y/o with facial piercings working at Pizza Hut who has a bankruptcy may not.
They'd know you would be unlilkely to wreck the place, have guaranteed income, they may not care about the BK.
I don't know how it works in other areas of the country, but in the cities I've lived in it is impossible to remove tenants in a reasonable timetable who don't/can't pay their rent at any point.....tenant laws strongly outweigh landlord range of ability, so it is indeed possible that a landlord or leasing company would take pause with or even deny a BK applicant. (I have a friend who is a housing court judge and hears cases all day long, and the lean is toward the tenant, to the frustration of the landlord.) If I were in this situation, I would relocate first, settle in, and then deal with the credit problems.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:16 PM

2,524 posts, read 1,002,734 times
@loveautumn:
Weather: SoFLA YES I was "housebound" from APR-OCT during the hours of 8a.m.-5p.m., that is, had to be in air conditioned space. I simply could NOT handle the heat during those hours; when my children were little I took them everywhere but the beach/playgrounds happened early morn or after 5, activities indoors for the rest of the day. Upside is the other six months are heavenly and one can stay outside ALL freaking day.
VA and NC I did not experience that, I was able to take the younger two to parks etc all day all 12mos but that was maybe because I'd come from SoFLA so it seemed cool by comparison.

Bugs: oh yes in SoFLA thery were plentiful and HUGE. Not in VA/NC, at all, in the city neighborhoods I can speak for; cannot say as to the rural areas.

Catholic: ME TOO and I prefer the Tridentine Latin mass. In SoFLA I attended a church that offered Latin mass, haven't found that since I left there. I do miss that like crazy. Bigger cities in the south may have that though, and I know in Charlotte for ex (biggest city to where I am now in NC) has lots of different faiths/churches not just Holiness or Evangelical Charlotte is a pretty "sophisticated" city for the south I feel. More so than Roanoke in my view.

Being called "pet names" by strangers: If they're older than me and call me "hon","dear" it's fine. But when teens/20somethings do it it feels wrong. Reverse that for "ma'am". I LOATHED it when medical personnel called me "Mom" when I took kids to the dr. What happened to "Mrs. XYZ"?

Rural: never lived there, only in cities. Couldn't do it either.

Civil War: I adore history. I have NEVER heard anyone BUT ME talk about/mention the Civil or ANY war in VA nor NC! I wish they would. I love to talk about history of all kinds.

Physical beauty: ROANOKE is beautiful. You are in a round valley mountains surrounding you. Here in the Piedmont of NC it is visually boring as was SoFLA (hideous architecture there too).

I left VA because I had to sell my big house in a "desirable" neighborhood to liquidate equity, so I can buy a small cheap place in a smaller cheaper town. More like buy a shanty down in shantytown.

But I was bored of it anyway, ready for a new place. It is a VERY NICE city though, and my youngest two had a great upbringing there. Very nice city for families.

Last edited by VexedAndSolitary; 06-30-2015 at 03:30 PM..

Old 06-30-2015, 03:27 PM

4,706 posts, read 3,274,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Please, please listen to us. Legal Aid should be your first call.

Yes, meo92953. It was on today's to-do list but too many things took longer than I thought they would. It will be #1 on tomorrow's schedule, call legal aid. I would think if I moved accts to a bank, I would have to wait some time before I could file anyway. So, I'm calling legal aid and getting the real info from them or somebody they recommend.

That new kitty is so darned shy. Yesterday I saw a little more of her than today, she loves my bed and even slept with me last night (Mimsy never did). So it was nice to wake up this a.m. and have Wendy next to me.

But today is a different story. She has stayed hidden for hours under the couch. I called her out for some treats, shook the bag so she could hear them. Put a few on the floor where I thought she would come out but she came out the other end. I stood up to go over and give her some and she ran off again.

It's going to take some time, I think. I really like her. She was pretty funny last night.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I don't know how it works in other areas of the country, but in the cities I've lived in it is impossible to remove tenants in a reasonable timetable who don't/can't pay their rent at any point.....tenant laws strongly outweigh landlord range of ability, so it is indeed possible that a landlord or leasing company would take pause with or even deny a BK applicant. (I have a friend who is a housing court judge and hears cases all day long, and the lean is toward the tenant, to the frustration of the landlord.) If I were in this situation, I would relocate first, settle in, and then deal with the credit problems.

Very good idea unless paying the bills reduces income so much that there is nothing left to move with.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:02 PM

4,706 posts, read 3,274,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
Ha Avalon08 no I have 30K to allott to buying a house. No wonder you thought I was a moron Still debating in my head abt CARRABELLE, love love it but that DRIVE to TH is the thing.

Nygal look at CLEMMONS and MOCKSVILLE. Easy peasy drive to WS and cute as can be. Also Statesville where I am, you can PM me for specifics as to areas and apt.

Sure a bankruptcy shall "ruin" your credit but landlords who see you have a guaranteed fixed income every month may overlook the BK knowing your income is certain, as opposed to a job you could potentially lose.

Also being a golden gal if you explain the situation, it may be viewed differently by a landlord versus if you were a young, marginally employed irresponsible kid. "Profiling" in this case could work in your favor, a "little old lady" who is bankrupt may get an apt whereas a 30 y/o with facial piercings working at Pizza Hut who has a bankruptcy may not.
They'd know you would be unlilkely to wreck the place, have guaranteed income, they may not care about the BK.
I drove around Clemmons but not Mocksville. It's the dang rents that are being charged for a decent apt. There are plenty of lower cost apts but conditions are not that great. Thin walls/floors/ceilings..... if neighbors are noisy you get to hear everything. No thanks. I did drive to Statesville (not too far away) and liked it. Checked out apt and liked it, rent was do-able, but they have MAA Direct which is a feature I do not need or want but non-negotiable. It comes with the apt and it is an extra $50/month. Can't do that and probably wouldn't really use it anyway.

I have looked at the Roanoke site, got a couple of messages from somebody who is the local information person. I'm starting to think Roanoke but as it turns out I can't move this Sept. as I had hoped. I want to get finances straightened out before I do something that big. I need to take a trip to Roanoke and have a good look. When I drive through the area on 81S, I admire the beauty of the area. It's gorgeous. A couple of advantages besides the beauty of the area is that it would be a one-day drive for me so could get back to CNY in a day if I needed to. Driving to Winston-Salem takes me 2 days. I've done some COL comparisons and worry a little about it, seems VA could be higher than NY, but want to see for myself. Not a home-owner so don't worry about taxes. I always have renter insurance which is a lot cheaper than home-owner.

Sounds like a lot of us are trying to make decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement