U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2015, 04:05 PM

4,662 posts, read 3,241,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Very good idea unless paying the bills reduces income so much that there is nothing left to move with.

I feel like I want to keep it as uncomplicated as possible. Don't want to do something on spur of the moment thinking it will all work out just fine only to discover I didn't think about this or that.

Had I done that when I moved to TX in 1993, I wouldn't be in the jam I am now. Never fully recovered from that fiasco.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:17 PM

4,479 posts, read 4,741,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
These are not accents. This is their attempt at grasping English. It's amazing that they could even learn our language. What you hear is a lot like what you would sound like if you were speaking Indian or Vietnamese, etc.

Yes!! Well put Neg. I think it is easier to make fun or just become instantly annoyed without comprehending how difficult it can be to try and speak another language fluently AND trying to explain the workings of something along with it.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:40 PM

4,572 posts, read 7,057,201 times
Default Don't want to do something on spur of the moment

I'm so glad (and relieved) to hear to you say this.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:44 PM

4,572 posts, read 7,057,201 times
OverItAll, thanks so much for your input, you have given me a lot of good information. I've considered Roanoke but not sure it would be a good place for an older, single woman with no family there. I'd feel very isolated I think. But it sure is a beautiful location.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:59 PM

2,524 posts, read 995,329 times
Nygal and loveautumn, ROANOKE is pretty groovy: visually stunning, big enough that it has everything, excellent medical care ( I was shocked to discover this when one of my kids became seriously ill; I was ready to fly her back to Palm Beach for her med care but the docs in ROANOKE ended up being top notch), safe, 4 seasons but not harsh winter esp compared to where you are in NY state.
Nothing in the way of "culture" though; not much live music (except for bluegrass in FLOYD which I adore), kinda lame as far as "hip" shops if you care about that stuff.

BUT it is NOT so cheap! Rents will be higher than in (smaller towns) in NC and higher than WS. It is getting higher too since the med school came to Carilion, more "yuppie" feel to the place (I have a daughter and son in law still there and he is in NP school) than when I moved there in 2001 (though we bought in a "yuppie" 'hood at the time which is even moreso now).

Old 06-30-2015, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
Nygal and loveautumn, ROANOKE is pretty groovy: visually stunning, big enough that it has everything, excellent medical care ( I was shocked to discover this when one of my kids became seriously ill; I was ready to fly her back to Palm Beach for her med care but the docs in ROANOKE ended up being top notch), safe, 4 seasons but not harsh winter esp compared to where you are in NY state.
Nothing in the way of "culture" though; not much live music (except for bluegrass in FLOYD which I adore), kinda lame as far as "hip" shops if you care about that stuff.

BUT it is NOT so cheap! Rents will be higher than in (smaller towns) in NC and higher than WS. It is getting higher too since the med school came to Carilion, more "yuppie" feel to the place (I have a daughter and son in law still there and he is in NP school) than when I moved there in 2001 (though we bought in a "yuppie" 'hood at the time which is even moreso now).
What about the smaller towns around Roanoke? Same COL problem? Of course I can't remember a name..... Salem? Lexington? a few others? As expensive as NY can be, the way some of the other states are going, they'll catch up in no time. I'll have to keep an eye on things.

Don't know if you ever watch The Voice on television but they had a 16-year-old kid from NY state on who eventually won the whole deal. He played guitar and sang bluegrass, folk music and he was so enjoyable to listen to. I had not heard that music in years. When I heard it recently I liked it a lot.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:25 PM

4,969 posts, read 3,455,934 times
I might end up staying here unless the winter is too harsh. I can get 1 meal a day from meals on wheels. Paying is voluntary but suggestion is $4 per meal. I had to quit because I was/am trying to figure out what I should & shouldn't eat.

I think I already mentioned here (or on chat) that my grandparents settled here & a lot of people here either went to school with my mom or know my family from church. So, it was like an instant in. I do know from the previous winters here that I have to stock up for emergencies prior to winter, but that's the midwest. Minnesota has a lot going for it actuall. Where I am is surrounded by lakes & has great fishing. I caught a wonderful Northern last summer. My nephew has some sort of magic going for him & when he goes out the fish practically jump onto his line. I was thrilled with my northern, lol.

And my Dr today. She did not mess around. I'll have the ct scan tomorrow. She is so wonderful. Don't know if i can find someone so caring anywhere else. I just don't know.

Knoxgarten really got me interested in Tennessee & that is pulling my heart strings too. We'll see what happens.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:35 PM

2,524 posts, read 995,329 times
SALEM is expensive. Higher than ROANOKE. Small, insular city and snooty with no reason to be. Old money and fewer transplants. I don't like it. Few apt complexes, the ones they have cater to the college students who attend Roanoke College (which is in SALEM ).

LEXINGTON I know nothing about, it's far from ROA.

LYNCHBURG is really nifty, I like it a lot but know nothing about COL there. Used to go there for the old neat cemetery in downtown, has nicer and more varied restaurants than ROA and cool neighborhoods, old houses galore.

VINTON borders ROANOKE and I love VINTON; it is prob cheaper for apts than either of the other two but high-ish for buying houses as they pay both city and county taxes on RE.
Small and cute, not snobby like SALEM though also few transplants, more blue collar but safe and nice. I used to take my kids to their public pool several times per week for years in summer.

Last edited by VexedAndSolitary; 06-30-2015 at 06:55 PM..

Old 06-30-2015, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I might end up staying here unless the winter is too harsh. I can get 1 meal a day from meals on wheels. Paying is voluntary but suggestion is $4 per meal. I had to quit because I was/am trying to figure out what I should & shouldn't eat.

I think I already mentioned here (or on chat) that my grandparents settled here & a lot of people here either went to school with my mom or know my family from church. So, it was like an instant in. I do know from the previous winters here that I have to stock up for emergencies prior to winter, but that's the midwest. Minnesota has a lot going for it actuall. Where I am is surrounded by lakes & has great fishing. I caught a wonderful Northern last summer. My nephew has some sort of magic going for him & when he goes out the fish practically jump onto his line. I was thrilled with my northern, lol.

And my Dr today. She did not mess around. I'll have the ct scan tomorrow. She is so wonderful. Don't know if i can find someone so caring anywhere else. I just don't know.

Knoxgarten really got me interested in Tennessee & that is pulling my heart strings too. We'll see what happens.

When I first got onto this site I had a lot of things going on. Probably more than I talked about. Having all those "balls in the air" is kind of a defense, keeps your mind so busy you don't spend a lot of time thinking about any one thing. Only now your health is demanding more attention.

I certainly do not know everything. And I do not want to have you think I'm trying to tell you what to do. But on my observation, maybe you could put moving, etc. on the back burner of your mind and pay full attention to what is happening with your health now. Once you get through that, find out what is really going on with you, getting on a proper diet for the condition if you need to, start feeling better. When we have a big worry like that facing us, we can make a lot of mistakes. I've made more than my share.

Whatever you choose I will do my best to support you. And pray for you. But I honestly think you need to get this health thing under control, whatever it may be. Once you start feeling better, you could totally change your mind.

Good luck!

Old 06-30-2015, 09:41 PM

17,386 posts, read 21,228,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Sympathies to feeling stuck. I just wrote a post and deleted about the same topic. It was a huge vent but whatever.
This is hard at any age honestly. One year to retirement and have no idea where to go, just know that its not going to be here.
Energy arises, every time, from making a decision, any decision. Indecision depletes your energy. When you finally decide to move, look forward to a big blast of energy! But indecision, along the way, is only inevitable, natural.

It's when I start looking at the Real Estate sites is where I can run into indecision. I had all but picked out a nice townhouse in near-west Tucson, the attraction being JFK park, walking distance, even with a library on-grounds. Decision made, I'll move into that townhouse complex. And then? I looked up the crime reports for that area, and then it knocked me down to ground zero, again, energy lost.

I wanted to avoid condo complexes, but I'm so glad I finally looked at the condo selections, as there's 3 complexes there with one-story townhouses, spacious enough, with 1000SF, and low HOA fees. So that put more energy into my relocation plans, and I'm back packing things away, throwing things out.

As we get to a certain age, I'm 65, the stress can be enormous, in making such a critical decision, because you want that decision to be the best available, and once I move there I'm going to call it my coffin, as I'll have no more strength to make another move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement