U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2015, 05:46 PM

39 posts, read 31,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I'm glad you have a good doctor who is on the ball. Hopefully they'll find out real quick what the problem is and get you on the road to improving. If it's Diverticulitis (sp?), my ex MIL had it too and it made a big difference in how she ate. I remember that she was really unhappy that she couldn't eat salads anymore. Something about the lettuce? She was always way overweight and didn't lose any weight because of it though.

The more I read about where you are the more I think it's probably the best place for you to be. It seems to have everything you need and the only bugaboo is the weather/winter. There HAS to be a way that you can stay where you are, where you're happy, have good medical care and family and still escape the worst part of winter. I think I'd probably concentrate on that more than a big move. I wish you the best no matter what you decide to do.
I've been putting this off because I'm so disappointed. My Dr's nurse called late afternoon yesterday & apparently the ct scan was negative. She said to just keep taking immodium & keep taking metamucal twice a day.
I have been doing that. I'm going to ask my insurance if I can make an appt with a gastronoligist. Iff I can't circumvent her, I will ask her for a referral. The tests they've done so far, all showing nothing wrong, is one of the reasons insurance deny the tests, but they have to be done.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:13 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,075,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meolson92953 View Post
I've been putting this off because I'm so disappointed. My Dr's nurse called late afternoon yesterday & apparently the ct scan was negative. She said to just keep taking immodium & keep taking metamucal twice a day.
I have been doing that. I'm going to ask my insurance if I can make an appt with a gastronoligist. Iff I can't circumvent her, I will ask her for a referral. The tests they've done so far, all showing nothing wrong, is one of the reasons insurance deny the tests, but they have to be done.
Some times no news is good news. At least they didn't find anything horrendous. But still no answers! So frustrating.

The Metamucil recommendation could be a double edged sword. Yes, it provides fiber which might bulk up your "stuff", but it's also taken to promote regularity . . . of which you have an overabundance. I'm not a medical professional in any way, just have been around the block too many times on these wild goose chases. I still wonder about the dairy products. I know when I tried Activia, thinking maybe I could get away with that for the probiotics, it just about put me under.

I hope you can get into a GI. There has to be an answer and I hoping it's a simple one that's obvious to the right detective. Holding a good thought for you.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:24 PM

8,621 posts, read 9,689,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meolson92953 View Post
Well, I guess we can consider the "negative" a "positive", huh? That's a good thing! The bad thing is you're still up in the air on a real diagnosis. That's odd that all the tests come back negative. You could get a second opinion and it would be nice if your present doc would give you that referral. Insurance companies don't have your best interests at heart, that's for sure.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:25 PM

4,679 posts, read 3,250,875 times
Just a little piece of information that happened to my friend/neighbor. All of her life she has been able to eat asparagus.

She ate some last week and has had a swelling in both of her arms. Her doctor said it had to be an allergy.

I'm not a professional at anything, so for me it's all guess work. But it could be a new onset of an allergy to something you have been able to eat before but can't now.

Strange.

Let us know if you get into see a GI (gastroenterologist). Good luck.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:06 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,037,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Just a little piece of information that happened to my friend/neighbor. All of her life she has been able to eat asparagus.

She ate some last week and has had a swelling in both of her arms. Her doctor said it had to be an allergy.

I'm not a professional at anything, so for me it's all guess work. But it could be a new onset of an allergy to something you have been able to eat before but can't now.
Personally, I would consider trying an elimination diet test. It could be just one thing you're eating, or a very few things. Or a medication

Old 07-05-2015, 12:52 AM

4,407 posts, read 5,929,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I lived in Minnesota for 43 years, 21 years in Rochester, 22 in Minneapolis, and a cabin near Pine City for 10 years as a getaway.

I've become so addicted to low humidity (as low as 3% in June here in Las Vegas) that I won't even risk a trip to Minnesota in the summertime anymore, no more July family reunions. The risk I'm not willing to take: just my luck the week I'm up there I'll collide with heat and humidity, and you'll find me crashing to the sidewalk! The longer you live in the desert, the more sensitive your body becomes to humidity. I've become such a humidity wimp, I even stay away from San Diego in the summer time! And, it's too dry even for flies, mosquito's, woodticks, gnats. I freak out today if I encounter a mosquito! Well, a better description for mosquito's are terrorists!

I first moved to Phoenix, 3 years there, and it's interesting the reversal of complaints I heard: The very, very last summer I'll ever spend in Phoenix! In Minnesota: The very, very last winter I'll ever spend in Minnesota. And, very few, if any, carry thru with their promises!

One thing nice about AZ, is the altitude relief. With my upcoming move to Tucson (2550 feet), for some relief, I can merely go the short distance to Bisbee (5200 feet) or even to Nogales (3885 feet), and a longer drive to Flagstaff at around 7000 feet.

Even here in Las Vegas, one can take the 35 miles drive, from downtown, to the Mt. Charleston Lodge at 7775 feet, and cool off for the day. Or, as so many seniors do, they hike from there up to the Meadows at 11,000 feet, but be sure to bring a jacket along!

With Florida, there's no altitude relief whatsoever!
There may not be altitude relief, but there's shade relief and sea-breeze relief, at least where I am on the Gulf coast. I've mentioned this several times before but I feel it bears repeating since you are dissing my new "home state" in favor of the desert climate of Nevada.

This is my second summer in FL, having moved from PA. Yes, the sun is intense, but in the shade with a breeze (which there is, most times), it feels about 10 degrees cooler and is quite pleasant. I was just at the beach the other day on the island -- it was 88 and there was a delightful breeze coming in off the Gulf. I maintain that the humidity here does not feel as oppressive as the "wall" of humidity that can settle in for long stretches of the summer up North. The coastal-air humidity actually feels good on my skin. Granted, I'm sure I would not feel this way if I lived in Central Florida.

Now, when I was in Palm Springs, AZ or NV in summer, I was parched all the time -- constantly had to have water with me. My skin felt dry and my nose would bleed from being dried-out. The "dry heat" felt like a blast furnace. So, I guess we are opposites in that regard.

To me, the ideal climate IS Southern CA -- I have lived there -- but that's not an option financially for me and many retirees.

Bugs -- haven't been a huge issue for me, to the point where I'd tell anyone not to move here because of them.

Lots of Catholics where I am, to address Loveautumn's point. Lots of transplants, as we've discussed, so it doesn't feel overwhelmingly "Southern", though we do have our share of cowboy hats, monster pickup trucks and yes, even the Confederate flag. It is definitely a politically conservative area, so I'm in the minority there, but there are a few of my "persuasion" so I don't feel totally like an outsider.

I am surrounded by water, beauty and nature -- so far, it's definitely my happy place.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:15 AM

3,911 posts, read 2,881,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
There may not be altitude relief, but there's shade relief and sea-breeze relief, at least where I am on the Gulf coast. I've mentioned this several times before but I feel it bears repeating since you are dissing my new "home state" in favor of the desert climate of Nevada.

This is my second summer in FL, having moved from PA. Yes, the sun is intense, but in the shade with a breeze (which there is, most times), it feels about 10 degrees cooler and is quite pleasant. I was just at the beach the other day on the island -- it was 88 and there was a delightful breeze coming in off the Gulf. I maintain that the humidity here does not feel as oppressive as the "wall" of humidity that can settle in for long stretches of the summer up North. The coastal-air humidity actually feels good on my skin. Granted, I'm sure I would not feel this way if I lived in Central Florida.

Now, when I was in Palm Springs, AZ or NV in summer, I was parched all the time -- constantly had to have water with me. My skin felt dry and my nose would bleed from being dried-out. The "dry heat" felt like a blast furnace. So, I guess we are opposites in that regard.

To me, the ideal climate IS Southern CA -- I have lived there -- but that's not an option financially for me and many retirees.

Bugs -- haven't been a huge issue for me, to the point where I'd tell anyone not to move here because of them.

Lots of Catholics where I am, to address Loveautumn's point. Lots of transplants, as we've discussed, so it doesn't feel overwhelmingly "Southern", though we do have our share of cowboy hats, monster pickup trucks and yes, even the Confederate flag. It is definitely a politically conservative area, so I'm in the minority there, but there are a few of my "persuasion" so I don't feel totally like an outsider.

I am surrounded by water, beauty and nature -- so far, it's definitely my happy place.
I love FL and will likely end up there. I have lots of family there and have spent a lot of time there over the course of my life; I even have digitized 8MM film of me toddling along the beach in the Eisenhower era. I know what I would be getting into. I like the humidity and I like it hot. You are right about shade and breezes IMO.
As far as Southern, most of my relatives are in the panhandle, aka "The Redneck Riviera" and it is very Southern. So is Gainesville and to some degree JAX (but it is a big city and very diverse). Daytona is the last beach on the east coast where I think it is fairly Southern. Below that, if you are within ~25 miles of I-4 or the coast it will not feel Southern IMO.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
Personally, I would consider trying an elimination diet test. It could be just one thing you're eating, or a very few things. Or a medication
I have cut out milk, stopped 1 antidepressant, & added greek yogurt smoothies & more fruits/vegetables. The problem has slowed down but still happens when I eat. Sometimes I get so hungry. Half of what I eat goes down the drain.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:13 PM

2,627 posts, read 4,954,783 times
For years, when I was young, I had bad stomach pains, gastrointestinal distress. I had all sorts of tests. I even was examined at Mayo Clinic. As an adult, I came to realize that I am lactose intolerant!!! If I take Lactaid prior to eating ice cream, etc. I am ok. I've never liked the taste of milk. When I was a baby, I had colic for over 6 months. I bet that I was born lactose intolerant.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:26 PM

lactaid-maybe I'll try that. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement