U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2015, 08:38 AM

2,524 posts, read 995,939 times

Advertisements

Hi guys.
Still looking!
The "mansion" in ROCKINGHAM NC was darling, in good shape, I got excited, then I spoke to the handyman who WORKS FOR the current owner about going over it for me and he strongly urged me to reconsider as there is lots of drug activity and crime on that street
He was an older fella, said the owner'd kill him if she found out he'd discouraged me but that his conscience would bother him if he didn't tell me how it is.

Now this is the second house this has happened on; the first one, (in another city) the REALTOR HERSELF told me not to buy it due to crime. She too said she was taking a chance telling me that but her conscience would keep her up at night.
She's the gal who told me to check with local PDs for crime info which I have done for some places since.

Now interested in this place:
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...6_M57318-05840

I have an inspector looking at it next week.
Called the PD there, they said they do not give out that info. That's the first PD I've called that won't.
Had to look it up online, doesn't seem unsafe based on stats.

I am so SICK OF LOOKING and being disappointed. It sucks to be poor. Just ranting...

Old 07-09-2015, 09:48 AM

3,911 posts, read 2,878,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
Hi guys.
Still looking!
The "mansion" in ROCKINGHAM NC was darling, in good shape, I got excited, then I spoke to the handyman who WORKS FOR the current owner about going over it for me and he strongly urged me to reconsider as there is lots of drug activity and crime on that street
He was an older fella, said the owner'd kill him if she found out he'd discouraged me but that his conscience would bother him if he didn't tell me how it is.

Now this is the second house this has happened on; the first one, (in another city) the REALTOR HERSELF told me not to buy it due to crime. She too said she was taking a chance telling me that but her conscience would keep her up at night.
She's the gal who told me to check with local PDs for crime info which I have done for some places since.

Called the PD there, they said they do not give out that info. That's the first PD I've called that won't.

I am so SICK OF LOOKING and being disappointed. It sucks to be poor. Just ranting...
I saw your post on that one in the local forum I frequent because I my be headed to that area. I have high hopes for that area. The back door neighbors' houses in the neighborhood behind you are very nice. I am being optimistic on your behalf but it looks very promising to me. The street doesn't lead anywhere; you have to enter and exit the neighborhood through one street connecting the neighborhood to the main road. Unsavory types like more flexibility in their exit strategy. Yeah, I am grasping at straws but that does not look like a bad area. Nice grocery store nearby, convenient to the freeway but probably far enough away not to hear it. I hope it works out for you.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:12 AM

I know and the street looked OK to me!
Some houses are shabby but others are nice. I did not see any white folks, it appears to be mostly a black section but I couldn't care less what race as long as they are normal citizens not criminals!

The handyman is 63y/o, native to there and seemed to know whereof he spoke, I believed him.
The realtor when I first called her asked me if I'd "checked out the neighborhood?" I hadn't at that point and she suggested I "drive around and if I still want to see the house, call her".

The thing is at my price I won't have fancy neighbors. But drug pushers on the street scares me.
The handyman flat out said it would not be safe for a "white lady living alone".

this bites

EDIT: HA reachthebeach I just realized you were referring to the FLA place not the NC place!
yeah they all seem nice until I hear otherwise...arrrrrgh
maybe we'll end up neighbors down there, I sure hope this TITUSVILLE place works out.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:51 PM

Yes, the FL place. I am looking at Barefoot Bay as a possibility. I wish I could find a community like it with CBS or brick construction homes like you are looking at without increasing my budget too much. There are lots that are not part of a community but I want a pool, clubhouse and some activities.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:40 PM

I would prefer a community w/organized activities too. But they all have HOA or lot rent fees too high for me to afford.
There are many MH parks that look fabulous and are really cheap to buy the MH(like under 10K!) but the park rent is $300-$600/mo.

Old 07-09-2015, 02:42 PM

2,626 posts, read 4,952,107 times
I live in an older part of a town south of Miami. There is a Senior Citizens/Community Center here. The cost for residents who are 60+ is $35.00 per year. All sorts of activities: exercise, bingo, quilting, ceramics, chair yoga, visits to local areas of interest and restaurants. No HOA in my area either.

Old 07-09-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
I would prefer a community w/organized activities too. But they all have HOA or lot rent fees too high for me to afford.
There are many MH parks that look fabulous and are really cheap to buy the MH(like under 10K!) but the park rent is $300-$600/mo.
I am looking at restricted deed communities. You own but the HOA is like a small municipality; the fee is part of property tax (sort of) and is typically much lower than rent.

Old 07-09-2015, 03:01 PM

Those are better for sure, I've seen some parks where you own the lot, no fees.
I got excited about one in APOPKA, (CLARCONA RESORT it was called) seemed great, then found it was next to a landfill and in a crappy area in general, rural and depressing, across from what looks on Google street view like a factory farm.

In my very small price range I keep finding terrible things out after I get all hyped about a place.
The CARRABELLE fail really got me depressed. I was 90% sure I was going to buy it. $1000 wasted on place fare/car rental/motel/food.

I wish the inspector would go check this TITUSVILLE joint out sooner than next week. I am SO DONE with this process, I just want to buy something already and be at peace

Old 07-09-2015, 06:31 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,975,704 times
Quote:
Hi guys.
Still looking!

You know the old saying, you get what you pay for. And in inexpensive/"cheap" areas, what you get is crime and instability. It doesn't matter where in the country, it's mostly all the same in that regard. I don't know how old you are, but past a certain age on a really limited income, why a house? With a house, as you know, comes unbridled expense. Why not get into income-based senior housing? Some are awful, but many are okay to very good. My MIL lives in income-based in one of the more upscale areas on the West Coast. I know the waiting lines are long, but maybe not so long in areas not quite so desirable. JMO.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:27 PM

4,972 posts, read 3,458,710 times
The more I read, the luckier I feel for getting my apartment. It is income based & we are all friendly but respect each other's privacy. There is an unspoken policy that if a person does not show evidence of activity it will be investigated & I feel that is a good thing. I remember being in my house, sick with tbe flu & unable to get up to go get medicine. That would not happen here.

Ok, it's summer & it's beautiful here. Easy to forget winter. But the more I read, the luckier I feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement