U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2015, 11:08 PM

4,972 posts, read 3,458,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Can this please be moved to chat? It is offensive to some members & I agree it should not be here.
This is meo & me olson, reporting in. I posted this in chat, where it belonged, but wanted to update this also. For the first time in a long time, I feel great! I have no idea what happened, except that I have included probiatics, more vegetables & just healthier eating, but- today I had more energy & achieved more, than I have for a long time. Whatecer it was, YAY!

Old 07-10-2015, 04:27 AM

2,459 posts, read 2,101,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
I am looking at restricted deed communities. You own but the HOA is like a small municipality; the fee is part of property tax (sort of) and is typically much lower than rent.
Reachthebeach- I know you said the HOA monthly charges are a concern but just for example- to know there is so much less headache and you did say you would love a community center and such, have you considered Century Village (in West Palm Beach in particular). I believe this is the oldest one of the Centry Villages, and the least frilly. You can get a condo there for under $30k, (most are a good amount more) but it is a safe, gated area with lots of amenities. The HOA fees range a lot but I would say 300 to 400 a month. I think it covers just about everything though (other than utilities). Worth considering.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:35 AM

2,459 posts, read 2,101,901 times
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand..._FL/sby-1/pg-2

Again, I promise no affiliation with this. I knew people (my parents' friends ) who lived here and it always struck me as very livable and so CHEAP.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:28 AM

3,911 posts, read 2,878,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Reachthebeach- I know you said the HOA monthly charges are a concern but just for example- to know there is so much less headache and you did say you would love a community center and such, have you considered Century Village (in West Palm Beach in particular). I believe this is the oldest one of the Centry Villages, and the least frilly. You can get a condo there for under $30k, (most are a good amount more) but it is a safe, gated area with lots of amenities. The HOA fees range a lot but I would say 300 to 400 a month. I think it covers just about everything though (other than utilities). Worth considering.
That is a bit further south than I am thinking; I am kind of torn between Space Coast and Sarasota area with the panhandle also a possibility (that would mean putting up with cool/cold weather a couple of months but closer to more family). I do want a free standing unit with a small yard. My preference is to keep the HOA fees down in the 200 range but I admit it is because I am cheap; I could afford more.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:05 AM

2,524 posts, read 995,939 times
In response to (appreciated!) suggestions:
Too young for senior housing of any kind (will be 52 this month).
Too poor for those with HOAs and lot fees.
Am in an apt and if I stay in one my money shall run out; if I buy at 30K cash I have no more "rent", versus $500/mo rent forever until I kick over. At 30K that's 5 years of rent then "free and clear" except for taxes which on these crappy places is low (less than $500/yr).

Last edited by VexedAndSolitary; 07-10-2015 at 07:16 AM..

Old 07-10-2015, 08:17 AM

4,669 posts, read 3,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
This is meo & me olson, reporting in. I posted this in chat, where it belonged, but wanted to update this also. For the first time in a long time, I feel great! I have no idea what happened, except that I have included probiatics, more vegetables & just healthier eating, but- today I had more energy & achieved more, than I have for a long time. Whatecer it was, YAY!
Best news I've heard in a long time!! Hooray for you!

Old 07-11-2015, 12:50 AM

4,972 posts, read 3,458,710 times
Thanks, nygal. I've been reading a lot of the moving threds & so far, from what I see, even though I'd like to wander, realistically this is a good place for me.

Old 07-11-2015, 09:57 PM

6,620 posts, read 3,748,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
Hi guys.
Still looking!
The "mansion" in ROCKINGHAM NC was darling, in good shape, I got excited, then I spoke to the handyman who WORKS FOR the current owner about going over it for me and he strongly urged me to reconsider as there is lots of drug activity and crime on that street
He was an older fella, said the owner'd kill him if she found out he'd discouraged me but that his conscience would bother him if he didn't tell me how it is.

Now this is the second house this has happened on; the first one, (in another city) the REALTOR HERSELF told me not to buy it due to crime. She too said she was taking a chance telling me that but her conscience would keep her up at night.
She's the gal who told me to check with local PDs for crime info which I have done for some places since.

Now interested in this place:
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...6_M57318-05840

I have an inspector looking at it next week.
Called the PD there, they said they do not give out that info. That's the first PD I've called that won't.
Had to look it up online, doesn't seem unsafe based on stats.

I am so SICK OF LOOKING and being disappointed. It sucks to be poor. Just ranting...
You know, you can put in an address on trulia site, then scroll to bottom of page where there's a map. You can click on a category to the side of the map that will show you the crime stats for that neighborhood for the past year. (They are crime reports, things that are reported by the police dept.) Then you can widen the map to encompass a wider area and get a bigger picture of the crime in the area. Pay attention to the types of crime. A lot of areas will have minor thefts, but a murder or assault close to the house is something else.

Old 07-12-2015, 12:37 AM

4,404 posts, read 5,925,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I've actually been researching the FW area to move to (I'm now retired). It seems to have a lot to offer. Do you think it's too big a city for a retiree to get around in and enjoy? Seems it's experienced explosive growth recently.
Whoa! Texas??? When did this happen? I thought you said Virginia was as "South" as you wanted to go?

Old 07-12-2015, 06:06 AM

2,524 posts, read 995,939 times
RE: crime stats on TRULIA or any site, not sure how helpful they are. For ex, after the handyman told me this I looked for the stats around that house and there were ZERO incidents reported.
Oddly, that house is less than 3 blocks from a very fancy, beautiful section with big gorgeous houses.
The street itself looks FINE, not at all like a hotbed of crime, yards are nice, kids out playing, porches with nice outdoor furniture, grassy yards mowed and clean, shrubs trimmed.

Here's what I think: "bad" sections in smaller cities/towns DO NOT come across obviously dangerous as the bad sections with which I am well familiar in NY and SoFLA where I have lived.
I spent 14 years doing volunteer work in "the bowels of Dade and Broward county" we called it and THOSE were BAD sections.
Bars on windows, graffiti all over, bulletproof glass in convenience stores, winos/crack addicts stumbling around, young guys hanging out blaring music at all hours, drugs were offered for sale while you sat at a light, yards were full of garbage, car parts, broken cars, filth, few children out and the ones you did see cursed at you, yards had either no grass just dirt or high grass and weeds.

Now in ROANOKE VA where I lived for 12 yrs and here in NC, what are called "bad sections" look NOTHING LIKE THAT

I guess in the small towns the undesirables keep a lower profile?

Last edited by VexedAndSolitary; 07-12-2015 at 06:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement