U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2015, 07:07 PM

2,524 posts, read 994,594 times

Advertisements

Oh, right, CRambler, I overlooked that you have SSDI and therefore a voucher...that makes it far easier and yes with that situation you can rent an apt for cheap
Our situations aren't similar after all.
Though what you said makes me ponder, I have not even thought of contacting a housing auth for low income apts...maybe that'd make more sense than buying with cash to avoid rent...but mustn't one have a disability to qualify?

I know I sound naive and clueless...I am...until I was widowed money was not an issue, I was solidly middle class...now am poor and am learning a whole new way...

Old 07-13-2015, 08:03 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,054,651 times
Default "circle of comfort" you need

I like that idea, that's really what I have where I live now. Could you expand a little on how I would go about finding those types of areas/neighborhoods...it seems like a daunting job right now. Everything on the Fort Worth thread seems to be geared toward younger people. I imagine FW has changed a lot in the 12 years you've been away, but in a good way from what I've read. I don't blame you for wanting to leave the PNW, it's beautiful but too dreary for me too and way too expensive now.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:05 PM

4,960 posts, read 3,451,255 times
[list=1][/LIST
For the discount w/out disability you have to be over 62, or 65. It depends on thr apt. I'm in because I'm disabled. Just check with wherever you want to go.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:49 PM

4,404 posts, read 5,919,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I like that idea, that's really what I have where I live now. Could you expand a little on how I would go about finding those types of areas/neighborhoods...it seems like a daunting job right now. Everything on the Fort Worth thread seems to be geared toward younger people. I imagine FW has changed a lot in the 12 years you've been away, but in a good way from what I've read. I don't blame you for wanting to leave the PNW, it's beautiful but too dreary for me too and way too expensive now.
Haha, I can't keep up with you! But that's why I love this thread, hearing about what people are looking for and where the eventually end up. I cannot imagine what you are going through -- with the WHOLE country up for grabs. I'm glad the decision was made for me.

Who said they were moving to the San Juans? Guess that means the islands in Washington State? My cousin built a house on Orcas Island, moved there from the big city and it looks absolutely fabulous.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Look for the government pages where you want to live & then I think look for social services. I was lucky as Knoxgarden sent me the link for knoxville. Maybe someone who lives where you want to live can direct you.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:52 PM

4,740 posts, read 4,363,341 times
[quote=brightdoglover;40398399]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
That's another thing I would caution you about: You may be feeling like a 20 year-old at the moment, but stuff happens and you don't want to end up getting treatment in a rural clinic or a litttle town somewhere in Ecuador. Trust me on this one. …

Oh, Rambler, I just checked into this thread after a long time not checking, and your post appeared like magic. I have, of course, followed your discussions on the Colorado forum and here in Retirement and just recently started up my daydream (plan? dream?) of retiring to a small town in the San Juans, which I love. Your post reminded me of why I haven't already planned to go there in retirement, and while I don't currently have any disability, I know that aging in a place that is totally car-dependent and far from facilities is probably not in the category of "plan."

I think SLC would be good for your needs, and there are still the beautiful mountains there. Offhand, I think it is much more cosmopolitan than people give it credit for, despite the big LDS presence. I must say, I think Utah and the LDS areas are very… orderly. I mean that in a good way. Utah's financial state is, I'm told, very sound and it is low crime, as you point out.

I look forward to good reports on your thinking and actions.
Doglover my friend, you would not believe the stuff that has come down in my life out here. My head is STILL reeling! I'll DM you with all the gory details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
Oh, right, CRambler, I overlooked that you have SSDI and therefore a voucher...that makes it far easier and yes with that situation you can rent an apt for cheap
Our situations aren't similar after all.
Though what you said makes me ponder, I have not even thought of contacting a housing auth for low income apts...maybe that'd make more sense than buying with cash to avoid rent...but mustn't one have a disability to qualify?

I know I sound naive and clueless...I am...until I was widowed money was not an issue, I was solidly middle class...now am poor and am learning a whole new way...
Actually, a Housing Voucher is both a blessing and a curse. Each county or city (depending on size) usually has a branch of HUD (Housing and Urban Development) aka the Housing Authority. You do not need to be disabled to qualify for a voucher. Anyone whose income is below a certain amount may apply for one - in theory that is. However, thanks to large budget cuts, literally almost every single Housing Authority in the US has closed its wait list for Housing Vouchers (Section 8). I got my voucher just before the wait lists all closed and it was due to a triple whammy - disability, an abusive domestic situation, and very low income.

But even if you are lucky enough to have a voucher, the amount you are allowed for a rental is only something called "fair market value," and it is set by the local Housing Authority. Fair Market is a laugh, and it's anything but fair. All too often, a voucher will get you a place in a meth infested trailer court (maybe), but if you aspire to be a law abiding citizen who doesn't live in a slum, it's very, very difficult to find a town where the rents just for affordable housing match that impossible (un)fair market value. I'm not looking to live in some upscale gated community, I just want a small house or apartment somewhere in a safe community where I can walk my dog without fear of being attacked by a mugger or what have you. Housing prices in Colorado are getting ridiculous. I have checked all over Colorado and nowhere does HUD's fair market value actually match the cost of affordable housing. However, it appears that Salt Lake's system is more reasonable and the rents ARE lower there, so for me, it's worth checking out. And that's the scoop on vouchers.

But HUD does have other types of housing available. Senior apartment set asides are almost always very nice places to live and much easier to get than a regular section 8 voucher. Call the Housing Authority in the places you might like to move to, and ask them what they have available and if you qualify. I know they also sometimes have programs available which help a low income person buy their own home. Just Google "Housing Authority" and the name of the town you're interested in. That will get you to a website with all the local HUD info and who to contact about various programs. It can't hurt to try, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Haha, I can't keep up with you! But that's why I love this thread, hearing about what people are looking for and where the eventually end up. I cannot imagine what you are going through -- with the WHOLE country up for grabs. I'm glad the decision was made for me.

Who said they were moving to the San Juans? Guess that means the islands in Washington State? My cousin built a house on Orcas Island, moved there from the big city and it looks absolutely fabulous.
Brightdoglover did. The San Juans are also a beautiful mountain range in far southwestern Colorado. I myself live at the foot of the San Juans and you won't find prettier country anywhere except in that other set of San Juans that you mentioned. I've been there also and I agree that the region is fantastic also.

Old 07-14-2015, 01:20 AM

Wow Colorado Rambler, sounds like you got a raw deal. I was able to get into this senior housing which costs 30% of my income, which leaves 70% for other expenses &, savings. Check into it if you're interested.

Old 07-14-2015, 04:38 AM

3,911 posts, read 2,875,565 times
Quote:
I'm going to go look up Salt lake City now...
Wow - you are flipping from looking at never winter to mostly winter (September and May often have a snowstorm or two and the months in between usually have several). You really are committed to best living situation for the money. It's been a while since I was in SLC but it was probably the safest (or it seemed so; I never felt at all uncomfortable walking around) and cleanest urban area I have ever seen. It is a bit conservative for my tastes but if you aren't liberal or aren't outspoken about it you wouldn't be troubled about differing beliefs (again, it seems that way to me).

Old 07-14-2015, 07:47 AM

2,524 posts, read 994,594 times
ReachBeach you hit it on the head! I am comittted to exactly that, finding a way to live as a low income person, wherever that may be as long as it's safe. I'm pretty conservative, would be happier around LDS types than hippie liberals for sure.

It all comes down to desperation in my case. Without getting into TMI, (CR saying this gives me the comfort level to say it) I too was in years of DV prior to widowhood which was actually a relief as it meant freedom from abuse but also instant drastic change financially. I haven't ever worked; have no skills and too much anxiety and depression (never treated nor addressed; too ashamed) and PTSD also terrible social skills so I live on liquid assets which shall run out at some point, I am hoping they will last until I can get spousal SS at age 60.

Which is a good segue into what CR said (CR I am loving your posts, they're full of good info and well written. Please keep posting (looking for a hug smilie...why does this site have such few smilies...)

I looked at Salt Lake thread you linked, CR, also at the Salt Lake HUD page.
Yep wait list CLOSED for Sec 8.

Also thanks to your posts I had a thought that hadn't occurred to me ( I am sounding dumber by the post ) which is, my Corolla has 145,000 miles and will I be able to afford a new car when it drops dead? Should I too be looking for a place in a a city with public transport? Makes a ton of sense.

Finding SAFE and AFFORDABLE and with public transport...I did a thread search on here for that and got some threads, wherein ST LOUIS and PHILLY were recommended.

Last edited by VexedAndSolitary; 07-14-2015 at 08:05 AM..

Old 07-14-2015, 09:11 AM

3,911 posts, read 2,875,565 times
Quote:
ReachBeach you hit it on the head! I am comittted to exactly that, finding a way to live as a low income person, wherever that may be as long as it's safe. I'm pretty conservative, would be happier around LDS types than hippie liberals for sure.

It all comes down to desperation in my case. Without getting into TMI, (CR saying this gives me the comfort level to say it) I too was in years of DV prior to widowhood which was actually a relief as it meant freedom from abuse but also instant drastic change financially. I haven't ever worked; have no skills and too much anxiety and depression (never treated nor addressed; too ashamed) and PTSD also terrible social skills so I live on liquid assets which shall run out at some point, I am hoping they will last until I can get spousal SS at age 60.

Which is a good segue into what CR said (CR I am loving your posts, they're full of good info and well written. Please keep posting (looking for a hug smilie...why does this site have such few smilies...)

I looked at Salt Lake thread you linked, CR, also at the Salt Lake HUD page.
Yep wait list CLOSED for Sec 8.

Also thanks to your posts I had a thought that hadn't occurred to me ( I am sounding dumber by the post ) which is, my Corolla has 145,000 miles and will I be able to afford a new car when it drops dead? Should I too be looking for a place in a a city with public transport? Makes a ton of sense.

Finding SAFE and AFFORDABLE and with public transport...I did a thread search on here for that and got some threads, wherein ST LOUIS and PHILLY were recommended.
I retract my jealousy and offer condolences and compassion in its stead.
I wonder if any of the major cities have free downtown transport. Raleigh does that now. Not suggesting Raleigh; I doubt it would be a good choice, just mentioning it because I am aware of the "R line" which is a downtown loop that costs nothing. I wonder if other cities do that.
I visited Toronto years ago and they have a huge underground complex that is like a mall with moving sidewalks that allows you to get around downtown without a vehicle and in any weather. I don't know if any US cities have that but it is a great option if you are able to get around pretty well.
While you say you don't have skills, you have expressed an interest in animals. I wonder if any animal shelters have caretaker positions; it seems like they would need someone on site all the time. A quick search says "maybe". Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement