Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2015, 10:07 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,450,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
Wow - you are flipping from looking at never winter to mostly winter (September and May often have a snowstorm or two and the months in between usually have several). You really are committed to best living situation for the money. It's been a while since I was in SLC but it was probably the safest (or it seemed so; I never felt at all uncomfortable walking around) and cleanest urban area I have ever seen. It is a bit conservative for my tastes but if you aren't liberal or aren't outspoken about it you wouldn't be troubled about differing beliefs (again, it seems that way to me).
Hippie Liberal here living in the Salt Lake Valley.

We're waaaay cheaper than most places in the country.

You can get a decent home for $200K - your property taxes would be about $1500-$1700 a year.

Moving out for retirement. Can't stand the hypocritical wingers who are making this place look a lot like Los Angeles - and the traffic similar. This place will not have one iota of undeveloped land in 20 years.

And it's a damn shame.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:42 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,879,188 times
*laughing aloud* at 200K house being called any permutation of "cheap"
I felt that way when I moved from Palm Beach to Roanoke VA (in 2001) and was amazed at the houses for 150K in GREAT neighborhoods, that would've been 500K in PB. I was a snob and sheltered lamb extraordinaire.
Now I'm talking about SEC 8 housing for myself..."from the sharks in the penthouse to the rats in the basement is not that far"...

Old 07-14-2015, 11:05 AM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
While you say you don't have skills, you have expressed an interest in animals. I wonder if any animal shelters have caretaker positions; it seems like they would need someone on site all the time. A quick search says "maybe". Just a thought.
Best Friends Animal Society has an office in Salt Lake City. I bet there would be opportunities there.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:51 AM

Oh that organization (BEST FRIENDS) is awesome. I adore them and the work they do
YES that is a part of my plan! To start out volunteering at a rescue and hopefully get a paid position after awhile.

Old 07-14-2015, 04:56 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,936,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Wow Colorado Rambler, sounds like you got a raw deal. I was able to get into this senior housing which costs 30% of my income, which leaves 70% for other expenses &, savings. Check into it if you're interested.
The place where I am getting a raw deal is Social Security. Right now I am on SSDI for my disability and SSDI works just like Social Security does. When I turn 65 my SSDI will morph into Social Security and I'll still be getting the same amount each month as I am now. I was 49 when I became disabled and the doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong as I ran through all my savings paying medical bills and putting a little food on the table. I finally had to concede defeat and recognize that my disability is permanent so I went down to Social Security and applied for SSDI. I took a major hit in my earnings having to apply so early on and I now live on less than $1,000/month. That's the problem along with finding a place where the rental amounts match what section 8 is willing to pay. I did live in senior housing for a while, and I agree that it's a good deal. However, there is often a wait list to get in, so anyone who is interested in that solution to their housing problems should check into it now and get on the wait list if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
ReachBeach you hit it on the head! I am comittted to exactly that, finding a way to live as a low income person, wherever that may be as long as it's safe. I'm pretty conservative, would be happier around LDS types than hippie liberals for sure.

It all comes down to desperation in my case. Without getting into TMI, (CR saying this gives me the comfort level to say it) I too was in years of DV prior to widowhood which was actually a relief as it meant freedom from abuse but also instant drastic change financially. I haven't ever worked; have no skills and too much anxiety and depression (never treated nor addressed; too ashamed) and PTSD also terrible social skills so I live on liquid assets which shall run out at some point, I am hoping they will last until I can get spousal SS at age 60.

Which is a good segue into what CR said (CR I am loving your posts, they're full of good info and well written. Please keep posting (looking for a hug smilie...why does this site have such few smilies...)

I looked at Salt Lake thread you linked, CR, also at the Salt Lake HUD page.
Yep wait list CLOSED for Sec 8.

Also thanks to your posts I had a thought that hadn't occurred to me ( I am sounding dumber by the post ) which is, my Corolla has 145,000 miles and will I be able to afford a new car when it drops dead? Should I too be looking for a place in a a city with public transport? Makes a ton of sense.

Finding SAFE and AFFORDABLE and with public transport...I did a thread search on here for that and got some threads, wherein ST LOUIS and PHILLY were recommended.
Thank you for your most kind comments. Have you checked with Social Security to find out what the amount of your survivor's benefits will be? That could help you make some plans for the future and might even be a relief if you discover the amount will be higher than expected. You can do this online, I believe - just go to the SS website or your local SS office.

If you can afford to do regular maintenance on your Corolla, it will extend your car's lifespan greatly. Ome of the problems I had was that I didn't have the money to do the standard maintenance on my truck. I got the oil changed every 3,000 miles and that was it. You are wise to consider if you will be able to afford another car when the one you have gives out. If you don't have your own transportation that pretty much automatically limits your search for a new town to those which have good public transit.

If anyone understands how difficult it is to have depression, etc. while at the same time having to deal with a low income, it's me. You have my sympathy. Keep your chin up and try to stop putting yourself down so much. Your questions and comments have not been "dumb" at all, and I'm sure they'll make others reading this thread consider things that might not have otherwise.

And as far as alternates to regular housing go, another possibility besides working for an animal shelter is to become a motel manager. The manager almosts always gets housing as part of their pay, and some of the quarters can be very nice. I have a friend who used to manage a motel, and I'd fill in for her on weekends. The work is not that difficult as long as you can balance the books and remain polite with difficult guests. Outdoors types can often find jobs as campground hosts. The hook-ups for your RV are paid (and often even include satellite) plus you get paid a stipend. I know of CGH's who summer in Montana or Wyoming etc. and then when winter comes along , they go down to Arizona or other points south and work in the campgrounds there. There's more than one way to skin a cat!

Old 07-14-2015, 06:48 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Oh that organization (BEST FRIENDS) is awesome. I adore them and the work they do
YES that is a part of my plan! To start out volunteering at a rescue and hopefully get a paid position after awhile.
Have you ever been to their sanctuary outside of Kanab, Utah? It's an incredible place!

Old 07-14-2015, 08:22 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,385,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Who said they were moving to the San Juans? Guess that means the islands in Washington State? My cousin built a house on Orcas Island, moved there from the big city and it looks absolutely fabulous.
To some of us, the San Juans are the San Juan Mountains in southwest Colorado. I forgot there are islands, and they are likely better known!

Old 07-14-2015, 08:30 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,385,615 times
Best Friends indeed has an office in SLC and they are doing great work. I'm sure there would be volunteer and maybe eventually paid work there for a hard-working person. I spent a volunteer vacation week in Kanab (the main sanctuary) and it was very good. No public transport in Kanab and not a place for aging or medical needs, but a fine small town and gorgeous area. I thought of moving there in retirement and decided that it was too car-dependent and way too far from real medical care to consider. But SLC? Could be a very good answer for both posters considering it.

By the way, I don't know why St.Louis and Philly would come up as low crime. They both have good public transport but more affordable housing, certainly in Philly, is not that safe. I know that (I'm from that area and keep tabs on it).

Old 07-15-2015, 12:36 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
Quote:
ReachBeach you hit it on the head! I am comittted to exactly that, finding a way to live as a low income person, wherever that may be as long as it's safe. I'm pretty conservative, would be happier around LDS types than hippie liberals for sure.

It all comes down to desperation in my case. Without getting into TMI, (CR saying this gives me the comfort level to say it) I too was in years of DV prior to widowhood which was actually a relief as it meant freedom from abuse but also instant drastic change financially. I haven't ever worked; have no skills and too much anxiety and depression (never treated nor addressed; too ashamed) and PTSD also terrible social skills so I live on liquid assets which shall run out at some point, I am hoping they will last until I can get spousal SS at age 60.

Which is a good segue into what CR said (CR I am loving your posts, they're full of good info and well written. Please keep posting (looking for a hug smilie...why does this site have such few smilies...)

I looked at Salt Lake thread you linked, CR, also at the Salt Lake HUD page.
Yep wait list CLOSED for Sec 8.

Also thanks to your posts I had a thought that hadn't occurred to me ( I am sounding dumber by the post ) which is, my Corolla has 145,000 miles and will I be able to afford a new car when it drops dead? Should I too be looking for a place in a a city with public transport? Makes a ton of sense.

Finding SAFE and AFFORDABLE and with public transport...I did a thread search on here for that and got some threads, wherein ST LOUIS and PHILLY were recommended.
I'm from Philly originally....you'd be going backward financially from where you are now....good public transportation but you're not going to get a place for $30K unless maybe in the 'hood, which goes back to your safety concern, but even that I'm not sure of. And there's a hefty city wage tax.

Old 07-15-2015, 05:59 AM

BEST FRIENDS in KANAB...my version of heaven...no I've never been there am going by what I see online. I immediately looked at housing nearby...no way. Remote and expensive. BUT their city branch would be wonderful for me!

CR thanks again for detailed posts addressing other folks' needs. You rock
I've always bought my cars with cash and kept them until they dropped dead and go every three months religiously. I always have them fix anything that they find wrong, immediately. They rarely have anything to fix! I love Corollas, I've owned them since the '80s.
BUT it WILL eventually be beyond repair plus I gew up in BKLYN NY so know all about living in a city wherein public transport is the thing and I'd love LOVE to not have to own a car period; am a lousy driver to boot.

I thought ST LOUIS was a high crime city too, I was looking (online) at houses there and peeps said it is dangerous when I asked on here about it.
Philly, the posts are mixed as to danger.

I looked at several threads with "public transportation" in the title; besides the obvious NYC/DC/BOSTON replies ST LOUIS and PHILLY were mentioned.

I wonder how SALT LAKE compares...probably a lot less dangerous but maybe the bus system not as big and the rentals not as cheap?

I'm going to investigate more and CR if you find out actual rents in SL post about them and I will too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.