U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2015, 06:21 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,975,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
I'm going to investigate more and CR if you find out actual rents in SL post about them and I will too.
St Louis (lived there), high crime inner city. Go west slightly to Columbia, 30-mi radius including the state capital, Jeff City.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:46 AM

14,260 posts, read 23,991,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
St Louis (lived there), high crime inner city. Go west slightly to Columbia, 30-mi radius including the state capital, Jeff City.

Agreed.

In eight years in St. Louis City AND County, my home was burglarized three times and my beater was broken into.

Columbia is 100 miles west of St. Louis.

Old 07-15-2015, 04:08 PM

2,524 posts, read 995,939 times
ACK never mind ST LOUIS then.

Now I'm all hep on CLEVELAND.
Condo prices scary cheap. Yes with HOA fees BUT if I needn't maintain/allot money to buy another car in a few years and car insurance that changes things maybe as far as affording fees.
PUBLIC TRANS looks great... I did a map of it and the colored lines indicating bus routes look like a spider web, a big one

I'm determined to get this settled in the next few months. This looking all over sucks a**

Thanks to all who contribute to the thread. I've been guided and helped by several posts and am really thankful for you all (still no hug smilie...why isn't there one...)

Old 07-17-2015, 12:50 AM

4,404 posts, read 5,925,325 times
I was talking to some friends about mobile home prices down here in FL and they did in fact confirm that the lot rents are high -- $500'ish and sometimes close to $800 for places on the water. HOWEVER, there are a million parks around here that look old and run-down....I cannot imagine the residents can afford those exorbitant lot rents. So maybe OverItAll, you could find a cheap mobile home park in FL that is part of a larger city....probably the neighbors wouldn't be the Vanderbilts but you'd still have nicer areas accessible as well as public transport. That's the thing about FL -- the "nice" parts can be just over a hedge from a crappy trailer park. So it's not like living in a city up North where if you're in the 'hood, you're surrounded by the 'hood.

Old 07-17-2015, 05:41 AM

3,911 posts, read 2,878,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I was talking to some friends about mobile home prices down here in FL and they did in fact confirm that the lot rents are high -- $500'ish and sometimes close to $800 for places on the water. HOWEVER, there are a million parks around here that look old and run-down....I cannot imagine the residents can afford those exorbitant lot rents. So maybe OverItAll, you could find a cheap mobile home park in FL that is part of a larger city....probably the neighbors wouldn't be the Vanderbilts but you'd still have nicer areas accessible as well as public transport. That's the thing about FL -- the "nice" parts can be just over a hedge from a crappy trailer park. So it's not like living in a city up North where if you're in the 'hood, you're surrounded by the 'hood.
A few I have looked at online have several homes really cheap (like some less than 10k) partly because it is so expensive to move one that has been where it is for several years and partly because older ones really do have limited value. Lakeshore Villas in Tampa is an example. Lot rent is $495 in one of the listings. Lots of nice amenities. People are kind of over a barrel when they buy into one. If you decide to move, you have to pay rent until you sell or move the home. If you are sure you want to be there long term and you really like the park, it can be a good deal. OTOH, rent increases may come down the road.

I have been looking more at manufactured homes costing substantially more but including the lot in a restricted deed community. Fees are in the $200 range or lower.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:38 PM

277 posts, read 298,324 times
Default Free public transit

Well, if you'd consider Cleveland, Pittsburgh's weather won't be any more daunting. They do provide free transit for seniors and free for everyone within downtown and to the north shore. I learned this while researching where to stay and how to get to Heinz Field for a Steelers game. Pittsburgh is a beautiful city, rated highly on most of those ubiquitous lists of best places. It's affordable, with great cultural, recreational, and sporting options. There is winter though.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:04 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,949,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
There are other options besides FL and SC including Texas, Arizona, New Mexico among others.

As for high HOA fees, I pay $180 per year in HOA fees and $450 per year for access to 13 pools, 12 fitness centers, as well as a number of other activities.
JL, I luv ya dearly, but you just CAN'T drop this kind of nugget in The Retirement Forum and expect us not to attempt to ask for the goods!

OK, where exactly are you?? I'm a-headin' down there. Road Trek and all. (They DO allow your RV there, right?)

As long as it's not like Reston in Northern Virginia, a.k.a. "The Authoritarian Communitarian HOA That Thinks it's a Town".

Heard that on one of the WTOP (local traffic radio) commentaries.

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-23-2015, 10:54 PM

4,972 posts, read 3,458,710 times
Outside of the retirement forum, I've been asking for information from the areas I'm interested kn. If nothing else, they make great vacation ideas & the ones I've chosen to look at are great.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:39 PM

6,124 posts, read 9,081,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
JL, I luv ya dearly, but you just CAN'T drop this kind of nugget in The Retirement Forum and expect us not to attempt to ask for the goods!

OK, where exactly are you?? I'm a-headin' down there. Road Trek and all. (They DO allow your RV there, right?)

As long as it's not like Reston in Northern Virginia, a.k.a. "The Authoritarian Communitarian HOA That Thinks it's a Town".

Heard that on one of the WTOP (local traffic radio) commentaries.

Thanks in advance!
I think he said they moved to Green Valley in AZ. It's south of Tucson and lots of retirees.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:52 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,202,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I think he said they moved to Green Valley in AZ. It's south of Tucson and lots of retirees.
Yep ... I noted that awhile ago and it's on my list of possibilities now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement