U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2015, 10:21 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,477,182 times

Advertisements

The thing I've realized since I moved to this small town is how much I miss the fresh spices & the variety of food available in the city. I've survived without them but if I could find a place with medium size town appeal & a big city grocery store goods. I know. It's not gonna happen. Sigh. I want a bagel with lox.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:40 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,953,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I think he said they moved to Green Valley in AZ. It's south of Tucson and lots of retirees.
Thanks, PhxBarb!

Old 07-31-2015, 07:55 AM

10,489 posts, read 5,952,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
JL, I luv ya dearly, but you just CAN'T drop this kind of nugget in The Retirement Forum and expect us not to attempt to ask for the goods!

OK, where exactly are you?? I'm a-headin' down there. Road Trek and all. (They DO allow your RV there, right?)

As long as it's not like Reston in Northern Virginia, a.k.a. "The Authoritarian Communitarian HOA That Thinks it's a Town".

Heard that on one of the WTOP (local traffic radio) commentaries.

Thanks in advance!
Having grown up in the DC area I had to chuckle at the part in bold

Old 08-02-2015, 09:06 PM

226 posts, read 205,633 times
The "where will I go" I am currently searching for the answer. The "why" I'm looking to relocate is because where I currently live in Kansas City Missouri has changed a lot and is not a safe neighborhood. I haven't the funds to move to the better neighborhoods especially after the bank collapse I owe more on my home than its worth. I guess I didn't plan for all the corruption, silly me - I'm unprepared. I make just enough to not qualify for anything. I have a friend who qualifies for everything and she is far better off than me. On Medicaid instead of Medicare she has all expense paid for the most part and actually has money left over for entertainment go figure.

Do I sound bitter? Probably because I am. My one asset was my home and its for all practical purposes gone.

Old 08-03-2015, 05:23 AM

4,691 posts, read 3,263,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericnGrl View Post
The "where will I go" I am currently searching for the answer. The "why" I'm looking to relocate is because where I currently live in Kansas City Missouri has changed a lot and is not a safe neighborhood. I haven't the funds to move to the better neighborhoods especially after the bank collapse I owe more on my home than its worth. I guess I didn't plan for all the corruption, silly me - I'm unprepared. I make just enough to not qualify for anything. I have a friend who qualifies for everything and she is far better off than me. On Medicaid instead of Medicare she has all expense paid for the most part and actually has money left over for entertainment go figure.

Do I sound bitter? Probably because I am. My one asset was my home and its for all practical purposes gone.
Sounds like you have hit some rough times. If you read enough posts here, you will note that you have plenty of company. My own particular money problem stems from over-use of credit cards. If I only knew then what I know now...........

I know a couple of people in the senior income-based rent apartments where I live. I noted how much "extra" money they have. But then I think to myself, I have a car and they don't. I have some other things that they don't. If I didn't have a car to maintain, put gas into, pay for insurance for, etc. I would have a lot more money, too. But truthfully, I would never want to lose my car. It's way too important for me.

Just my own personal experience. We are all different.

Good luck.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:01 PM

330 posts, read 1,203,681 times
My mom is 73. She moved from Sarasota, FL to a Leavenworth, WA income based 62 and older apartment complex in April 2015. She loved the town of Leavenworth but did not like her apartment complex. She is buying a mobile home this Friday in a 55 and older mobile home park in Fairhaven near Bellingham, WA. She is still a wanderer. She knows nobody there except the realtor. I am in Los Angeles and my sister is in Sarasota, FL, so she is retiring alone in a new city.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:13 PM

13,348 posts, read 25,607,620 times
^^^^
Did your mother move to Sarasota as a retiree and find it not to her liking?

Old 08-03-2015, 12:51 PM

330 posts, read 1,203,681 times
She lived in Florida from 1999 to 2015 and was ready for a change. She moved to Florida from the Bellevue, WA area where she lived from 1982 to 1999. She wanted cooler weather. She found Leavenworth, WA a little hot, so now she is trying Western Washington again. My sister still resides in the Sarasota area (Lakewood Ranch, FL) and I lived there from 1998 to 2010.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:25 PM

4,576 posts, read 7,072,814 times
Good for her to make the changes she felt she needed (wanted) to make...some of us are born wanderers I think. Bellingham is beautiful though pretty pricey these days.

Old 08-03-2015, 04:20 PM

4,691 posts, read 3,263,277 times
My nephew's two children are currently residing in Bellingham and from the pictures they are posting on FB, beautiful area. Not sure if they will make it their permanent home but for now they seem happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement