U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2015, 02:09 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I came to a decision last night. I am going to sell my home and move to central Florida. After our 45th reunion, then dinner out Thursday night, I finally looked into the prices of houses near my friends who already live down there. I wish I had looked 3 1/2 years ago when hubby died.

So I will be trading in the snow for sunshine and a pool! I don't need anything fancy or big, just a pool and central a/c. I should be able to pay cash for whatever I decide.

Tomorrow I start getting the house ready to put on the market. Major big deal since I have two households combined into one here.
It's so nice when someone on here comes to a firm decision, I love it. Many of us are still mulling our options and trying to figure the best one for the next stage in our lives. I took a big step yesterday by phoning a local realtor who advertised a free market analysis (they all do) and I liked her photo and background. It was a snap decision to call someone in to see what we should do to finish up this house. I just wish like anything we knew where we would go that would keep us within several hours of the kids.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:35 AM

13,319 posts, read 25,565,364 times
Quote:
I came to a decision last night. I am going to sell my home and move to central Florida. After our 45th reunion, then dinner out Thursday night, I finally looked into the prices of houses near my friends who already live down there.
Sounds ideal since you already have friends there. I am feeling like I'll be the last person standing in New England when retirement comes! Best wishes.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:09 AM

4,406 posts, read 5,926,580 times
Quote:
I came to a decision last night. I am going to sell my home and move to central Florida. After our 45th reunion, then dinner out Thursday night, I finally looked into the prices of houses near my friends who already live down there. I wish I had looked 3 1/2 years ago when hubby died.

So I will be trading in the snow for sunshine and a pool! I don't need anything fancy or big, just a pool and central a/c. I should be able to pay cash for whatever I decide.

Tomorrow I start getting the house ready to put on the market. Major big deal since I have two households combined into one here.
WOW! I haven't been on here in a few weeks so I'm glad I checked tonight -- this is major!!! Congrats on your decision. If you already have friends down here, that's great, it'll make the transition much easier. Can you tell us more? Area of central FL, over-55 community? I know a few of us are down here so we need to get that meet-up going when you are settled.

I just took the dogs outside and it is very warm and humid, probably getting set to rain. But I started thinking how much I will miss these warm nights when fall and winter set in. I hate being cold! Anything more than a sleeveless top is cold to me!

Old 08-24-2015, 04:47 AM

10,462 posts, read 5,930,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
WOW! I haven't been on here in a few weeks so I'm glad I checked tonight -- this is major!!! Congrats on your decision. If you already have friends down here, that's great, it'll make the transition much easier. Can you tell us more? Area of central FL, over-55 community? I know a few of us are down here so we need to get that meet-up going when you are settled.

I just took the dogs outside and it is very warm and humid, probably getting set to rain. But I started thinking how much I will miss these warm nights when fall and winter set in. I hate being cold! Anything more than a sleeveless top is cold to me!
Funny you say that, I had the exact same feeling last night here in central Maryland. Last evening it was beautiful, maybe around 70 when I went out with our dogs. I think everyone would agree it was a perfect evening. But for me it was just a sign of things to come, and to be honest the warmer evenings of a few weeks ago was my preference. Until I went to bed that is.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:17 AM

1,318 posts, read 835,236 times
Quote:

Grats on making your big decision Now don't stress yourself out getting rid of stuff, slow and easy takes the cake. Keep us posted on your progress.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:40 AM

4,481 posts, read 4,743,979 times
Quote:

Even though the whole ordeal of selling and moving is a major PIA, you must feel a real sense of excitement with your new decision. I'd be very interested in hearing the details and wish you well.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:48 AM

4,669 posts, read 3,246,905 times
Originally Posted by tamiznluv

I am so excited for you!! I liked what you said a pool and a/c is all you need. And the bonus to that is your friends who already live there. I must admit, I am somewhat envious. I was so sure I wanted to move to NC but reality hit me between the eyes and I realized I could not afford it. But I am always hopeful that there will be a day when I can do something similar.

Best wishes to you.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:24 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,608,485 times
Default congratulations !

Quote:

It feels good to have a plan. Mine is similar to yours ~ destination Sarasota, Florida ~ as soon as my Oregon country home is sold ! Hopefully SOON

Old 08-26-2015, 08:27 AM

595 posts, read 1,023,361 times
cathydit, I kep seeing commercials for lazer treatments to heal and regrow nerves for neuropathy and more. I hope you find an answer so your heart can rule your living choices and not accomodating your pain.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:17 PM

8,137 posts, read 7,643,924 times
Quote:

WOW! Tami, coming to FL, I'm happy for you that you'll be moving close to where friends will be near.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement