U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2015, 08:09 PM

226 posts, read 205,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I came to a decision last night. I am going to sell my home and move to central Florida. After our 45th reunion, then dinner out Thursday night, I finally looked into the prices of houses near my friends who already live down there. I wish I had looked 3 1/2 years ago when hubby died.

So I will be trading in the snow for sunshine and a pool! I don't need anything fancy or big, just a pool and central a/c. I should be able to pay cash for whatever I decide.

Tomorrow I start getting the house ready to put on the market. Major big deal since I have two households combined into one here.
Okay - I jealous of you but I have to say happy too it sounds as though you have a good plan and people to help you put it in place which is a big consideration. I have trouble deciding as I don't know anyone anywhere else so wherever I go I will be totally on my own which is daunting to say the least and its holding me back if I'm honest. I guess my choices are to just accept that I'm not in a place of my choosing (neighborhood gone bad and several incidents which leave me feeling not safe) or else to roll the dice - if it goes well I'd be happy but if not I'd be miserable and sad - no one but me to hold accountable. I should have moved before I reached this age but things were different. Like everybody else, I have no crystal ball or if I do it is seriously in disrepair and if I had a warranty I'd take it back. I guess I know this is my last shot - I had hoped to have found someone to go with me but there again, seem to have been left standing playing musical chairs.

I never really figured things, just went with the flow. I need time to myself so it didn't bother me that I was alone (I've been divorced GOOD GRIEF since 1984) other than one catastrophic nightmarish engagement that thankfully ended before the noose was tied. There was someone special, I still think about him the only person I ever found I didn't have to be afraid of- he never would have used violence against me - I think we were good together we had fun even just taking a walk together - I've never felt that way about anyone ever - he made me laugh but he also made me cry - there were impediments I won't go into. One of the last things he said to me was that I'd never find anyone who cared about me the way he did and he was right - I never found anyone who cared about me good bad or indifferent.

Anyway, I'm slowing down. I'd like someone to enjoy the view of my garden with, someone to talk about important stuff or silly stuff or whatever. I probably will end up going nowhere as mostly my life has been a smashing non-success - no reason to change now. Do I sound fatalistic? I guess I think its more "realistic".

Anyway good for you I hope it turns out great for you. Enjoy your warm weather and pool and friends it sounds fantastic.

About me, one final irony I guess. It's strange as a child I was always wanted to go somewhere else and see different places but for the most part didn't have quite the opportunity to do so. I tried once moving to California but it was a disaster (job market and expenses etc). My sister (4 years older than me), on the other hand was a real homebody - I remember she cried before she got to the end of the block going to girl scout camp. She lived a few different towns across the state when she got married but wasn't happy until moving back to be less than an hour away. She had an opportunity to go with her husband to Australia (he was a teacher and they offered him a job) and there was no way she would consider it. I would've jumped at the chance - especially Australia. It seems like for someone who always wanted to get away oddly enough I've sort of been stuck here really. Everyone else has friends in warmer places - whether its inlaws or outlaws or whatever. If I go it will be alone and I'm a little old plus not the greatest resources. If I had money I could travel round and find something. Anyway I just meant this as, like I said, an irony, the person who wanted to get away the most - is still stuck here. My brother's off to southern Georgia (no he couldn't / wouldn't help me - long story). I'll put away my violin - no sense crying - I think I'm just coming face to face with last chances - when you're young and starting out its all about firsts - first tooth, first step - first date - first car. Now its about lasts. Like Gilda Radner said "It's always something"!

Last edited by AmericnGrl; 08-26-2015 at 08:21 PM..

Old 08-26-2015, 08:23 PM

21 posts, read 15,328 times
PinkElephant,

Thanks so much for the info. I haven't seen those commericals but I will look into it. I see my grandson and hate to leave him, but I can travel back and forth and they can come and have free vacations at the beach.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:33 AM

10,817 posts, read 8,067,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I would also like some place small but with a medical facility around, great nature wildlife all around, friendly to newcomers, and a bonus would be a military base/VA center within a few hours.
Other than mapping ever base and VA medical center, then mapping every college and nature area and then redefining by cost of living etc. I'm not sure how to do this Those "best places to retire" don't use my criteria have they have a whole staff to do it, or are just selling some location that has paid them IDK.
NW Arkansas checks all those boxes.
The Veterans Health Care System of the Ozarks is in Fayetteville and there are many small towns and an abundance of mountains, forests, rivers, lakes, and state parks.
People are very friendly to newcomers. Cost of living, especially housing, is below the national average.The University of Arkansas is in Fayetteville and the Northwest AR Community College system has campuses througout the area.

All the towns listed on this site are within an hour's drive from the VA medical center:
Explore Northwest Arkansas

Old 08-27-2015, 10:37 AM

6,125 posts, read 9,086,149 times
^^^this. Yes and Osher is there and is alot better now than a year ago.

I am seriously looking at Fayetteville AR for my move, and agree that houses are inexpensive, taxes are cheap and life is good there.

Old 08-27-2015, 06:53 PM

224 posts, read 190,925 times
Default NW Arkansas

I just returned from a quick visit to SW Missouri/NW Arkansas. I was only able to spend 1-1/2 days, mostly in the Bentonville area, but I was impressed! It is green. It is clean. It has trees and hills. Lakes, rivers, and an airport are nearby. People were friendly. I hope to return soon with more time to explore. I wish I'd been able to make it to Fayetteville... Next time!

Old 08-27-2015, 07:39 PM

21 posts, read 15,328 times
Just go is my motto now. Having listened to people my whole life, I can now make my own mistakes. If things don't work out, try again. Americn grl, if you go the FL route, mobile home parks can be inexpensive with lots of people moving there doing the same as you. starting over. warm enough to walk the beach in winter and many new people to make friends.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:15 PM

5,658 posts, read 4,884,202 times
I'm just going to throw this in there ,
I would rather live at Big Bear lake California than where I live presently .
It can be a sleepy town but there is plenty to do and it's small enough to make some good friends easily .
One can have plenty of good friends, especially if you stay away from the bars, but that your call.
I don't live there now because I stuck trying to get rid of dad's accumulation ,it is significant.
I worked a long time in Big Bear and made a lot of good friends and I love all the seasons .It is relatively dry air so even in the winter I shovel snow in a T shirt an levis and boots.
If it's your first time going up drive up at night and sleep up there so your body will acclimate as you sleep believe me even if your relatively young it matters.
There is a retirement home in the village ,which is convenient if most our business is around town.
It's not far to get off the hill to the city for serious shopping but for the most part if your single and no kids there's not much reason to leave.
There are several denominations of churches and civic groups one can get involved with ,or just sit and be entertained.
I personally love to hike and hunt and play in the woods and fish and enjoy the lake . You don't have to ski but there are groups that hike (snow shoe) the mountain at night to the ridge just for thrills too much fun . Not many of the locals spend time in the village on the weekends for the visitors , some folk prefer a distance from the traffic.
The have their own hospital and heliport mostly for the ski areas and usual events .
The usual stores; Stator brothers and Walmart radio shack , and a host of others.
Many of the real estate offices the handle the home rentals , that's what I'd do first .
Spend a year there and scout around the valley through out the year and pay close attention to homes and the season as the sun changes the angle and where the snow stays . I prefer a home that has the front of the house facing south to the street. and roofs that do not terminate on walking paths and door ways.
Too many city folk don't think when they build .
Good luck in your search.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:41 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,297 posts, read 3,342,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I'm just going to throw this in there ,
I would rather live at Big Bear lake California than where I live presently .
It can be a sleepy town but there is plenty to do and it's small enough to make some good friends easily .
One can have plenty of good friends, especially if you stay away from the bars, but that your call.
I don't live there now because I stuck trying to get rid of dad's accumulation ,it is significant.
I worked a long time in Big Bear and made a lot of good friends and I love all the seasons .It is relatively dry air so even in the winter I shovel snow in a T shirt an levis and boots.
If it's your first time going up drive up at night and sleep up there so your body will acclimate as you sleep believe me even if your relatively young it matters.
There is a retirement home in the village ,which is convenient if most our business is around town.
It's not far to get off the hill to the city for serious shopping but for the most part if your single and no kids there's not much reason to leave.
There are several denominations of churches and civic groups one can get involved with ,or just sit and be entertained.
I personally love to hike and hunt and play in the woods and fish and enjoy the lake . You don't have to ski but there are groups that hike (snow shoe) the mountain at night to the ridge just for thrills too much fun . Not many of the locals spend time in the village on the weekends for the visitors , some folk prefer a distance from the traffic.
The have their own hospital and heliport mostly for the ski areas and usual events .
The usual stores; Stator brothers and Walmart radio shack , and a host of others.
Many of the real estate offices the handle the home rentals , that's what I'd do first .
Spend a year there and scout around the valley through out the year and pay close attention to homes and the season as the sun changes the angle and where the snow stays . I prefer a home that has the front of the house facing south to the street. and roofs that do not terminate on walking paths and door ways.
Too many city folk don't think when they build .
Good luck in your search.
Montana doesn't seem to have any of the attractive attributes that you mention in your post above.
Please spread the word to your fellow residents of California that may be thinking of a move to Montana. Why even consider moving to Montana when what you describe is available right there in the mountains of California.
Gosh, you Californians are lucky to live in such a wonderful state that has so much to offer.

Old 08-28-2015, 05:36 AM

981 posts, read 1,095,407 times
Default me - thinking of New Mexico

I posted this to the New Mexico forum, but will post here too.
I am on a waiting list for subsidized housing in Albuquerque.
Presently live in NJ, HATE the winters.
Plus NJ is one of the most expensive places to live and I am on a (small) fixed income.
Lately I have also been looking into Roswell NM.
I like the idea of a small town - (48,00 as of 2010 census).

OTOH, there is more to meet my interests in a larger city like Albquerque.
I used to live in Houston, and altho I hated the traffic,
I was able to satisfy so many interests, and find new ones.

I have a friend who knows Alb. very well, but I know nothing about Roswell,
so would be interested to hear any feed-back about Roswell as a place for a single, retired (low-income) person. (female).

Old 08-28-2015, 09:00 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,744,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
I am on a waiting list for subsidized housing in Albuquerque.
Presently live in NJ, HATE the winters.
Since Albuquerque is at an elevation of about 7,000 feet, they have cold winters with snow. Not sure how the winters compare between New Jersey and northern New Mexico, but you will not be escaping cold and snow. Perhaps it will be milder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement