U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2015, 01:40 PM

2,626 posts, read 4,952,107 times

Advertisements

This may help you:

Dr. Wayne W. Dyer - The Shift Movie

Old 09-01-2015, 04:27 PM

6,124 posts, read 9,081,096 times
I never liked Dr. Wayne Dyer. I always thought he wanted too much publicity and didn't help people enough. Now he is dead.

NYgal: Why the funk? Isn't today your coffee date or is it next week?

Old 09-01-2015, 04:53 PM

4,669 posts, read 3,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I never liked Dr. Wayne Dyer. I always thought he wanted too much publicity and didn't help people enough. Now he is dead.

I can get into a funk too easily. Thinking about stuff.

Coffee date got postponed to Friday.

I'm missing my cat a lot. I keep "seeing" her (of course it's my imagination) and then I start missing her a lot. Not the 2nd cat so much but the 1st. If a person and an animal can have this, we were soul mates.

I wish I lived by water... ocean?? Too expensive. But a girl can dream, right? I am afraid what my medical tests might show..... afraid of getting sick at this point of my life.

I never got into Wayne Dyer, either. There were others who are better, IMHO.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:52 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,059,483 times
don't you live by the Finger Lakes Region, those are beautiful lakes if you need a water "fix" and just a short drive!

Old 09-01-2015, 08:41 PM

4,669 posts, read 3,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
don't you live by the Finger Lakes Region, those are beautiful lakes if you need a water "fix" and just a short drive!

The Finger Lakes are west of my location and it's not necessarily a short ride. Oneida Lake is close, so is Lake Ontario. There are plenty of lakes in the Adirondack area, too.

My daydream has always involved the ocean, the sandy beaches, etc. And being away from everything familiar, which I believe is the true motivator.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:55 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,482,868 times
My goodness. How times change. My wife and I made the move six years ago but she's recently returned to from whence we came so I guess I kinda/sorta qualify now as an alone retiree.

I left the left coast where I was born, mostly raised and spent about 50 of my 69 years and settled in the SW MO Ozarks to which my wife desperately wished to return having spent most of the 70s nearby. My 'reward' for accommodating her desire was her moving back to the left coast in July.

Fortunately this region originally intrigued me back in the 50s and I love it here.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:18 PM

226 posts, read 205,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post

I'm missing my cat a lot. I keep "seeing" her (of course it's my imagination) and then I start missing her a lot. Not the 2nd cat so much but the 1st. If a person and an animal can have this, we were soul mates.

I wish I lived by water... ocean?? Too expensive. But a girl can dream, right? I am afraid what my medical tests might show..... afraid of getting sick at this point of my life.

I had a very unpleasant experience on Wayne Dyer's web site, supposedly to help people suffering depression which I confess to having had during my life.

What happened on that site was that I was attacked verbally with by a number of other people who supposedly were there for the same reason. The final straw was when the moderator joined in the attack. Had I been suicidal they would have pushed me over the edge. I wouldn't have recommended that place to my worst enemy. As it was it still left me upset for days and was counterproductive to why I signed on. Plus I was concerned about the information I had shared - trying to get it removed I had to deal with the moderator or whoever she was and in truth I do not know if it ever got removed but asking to have it removed only served to unleash more rudeness and animosity. I did use an anonymous name but I had shared some personal pictures that were not anonymous.

I've experienced that kind of pack mentality on a few other sites but I (foolishly it seems) never anticipated it happening on a site for people struggling with depression seemingly affiliated with a professional who seemed to be recognized and respected as genuine. If he knew nothing of what was going on - then he was still remiss in turning something over with his name on it to such horrible vicious people.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:32 PM

226 posts, read 205,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post

Oh if you lost a special pet then you have my sympathy and empathy. Losing a pet is so hard, just as hard, I think, as losing a person - maybe more because there aren't the rituals of support that you have with "people funerals". I still cry over my pets who are gone. It's hard to deal with experiences like yours thinking you see them even though you know you are not, its natural to think of them but people who have never had such a pet won't understand.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:52 AM

4,481 posts, read 4,743,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post

Yeah, Sorry for the loss of the family but he always gave me the creeps. How about back to topic??

Old 09-03-2015, 08:15 PM

6,620 posts, read 3,748,154 times
I can't decide where to move to.

Right now I'm considering Tyler, Texas (1 1/2 hr east of Dallas). The why is: it's a "large" small city, has a large med ctr, is seeking to attract retirees, has a lower property tax than many TX cities, has great soil for gardening I'm told, is a rose capital and azalea haven, is pretty, is near two larger cities (Dallas & Shreveport La.), is closer to family in Louisiana than where I am now, has a Sam's Club and other big box stores, has good prices on homes, has attractive homes with decent sized yards, has parks and lakes, the economy isn't bad for a large-small city, GREAT of living, more rain than where I am now.

Also going to look at Beaumont TX (SE Texas). The why is: Close to Houston, close to family in Louisiana, great gardening area, decent house prices, decent economy, good # of medical providers, a "large" small city, really good cost of living, lots of rain.

Also considering Houston, but I'm gradually not liking that idea. The why for considering it is: All the best med care you could want, decent house prices, awesome houses, many decent sized yards, rain rain rain!, humidity doesn't bother me, good economy. There are some negatives, though, so am not liking the idea as much as I used to.

Also considering staying in Dallas, but I probably won't. Why I would stay: It's a great city - not too big population wise, not too small; highways and roads planned very well; has a pretty good public transportation system (bus and rail); lots of competitive shopping; I know my way around and where to live and not to live; great economy; I have friends here; I'm here already; cost of living okay (not great, not bad).

I want to stay in the area of east TX/Louisiana, so that limits my options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement