U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2015, 08:44 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,220,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I can't decide where to move to.

Right now I'm considering Tyler, Texas (1 1/2 hr east of Dallas). <snip>

Also going to look at Beaumont TX (SE Texas). <snip>

Also considering Houston, <snip>

Also considering staying in Dallas, but I probably won't. <snip>

I want to stay in the area of east TX/Louisiana <snip> Really?
Just kidding.

Tyler sounds interesting... Have you visited all of these places?

Old 09-03-2015, 08:47 PM

4,676 posts, read 3,250,875 times
bpollen: I lived in Tyler, TX from March 1993 to April 1994. At that time, Tyler was quite small but up and coming, with good medical facilities. When I was there (Smith County) it was a dry county so you had to drive over to Longview if you wanted to buy some booze. I visited a few other times after I returned to Syracuse, NY as I had made some friends while I lived there. My last visit was approximately 10 years ago and I was very surprised at how much it had grown. I didn't recognize it. I was glad I was riding with people I stayed with rather than rent a car and try to find my way around.

I do remember the Tyler rose garden (used to be rose center of America, I think, very well known), and the azaleas, absolutely beautiful.

Whatever you choose, good luck to you.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:05 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,622 posts, read 39,986,663 times
Quote:

Right now I'm considering Tyler, Texas (1 1/2 hr east of Dallas). ... is closer to family in Louisiana than where I am now, ...
I want to stay in the area of east TX/Louisiana, so that limits my options.
whoops... I replied to your "Where to move for Gardening (not over 99F in summer)' before seeing this requirement (EAST TX>...). So I was recommending PNW (Portland area).

I don't do humidity, and WON"T go east of Missouri River after May 15th, so I'm a bit 'spoiled', but at least I am not sweaty! (usually).
I couldn't sleep / build a comfortable retirement home with fear of tornadoes and hurricanes (lived too many yrs on the prairie to consider that as 'Normal'). I like my minimal wood heat and NO need for AC!

If you are 'southern' born and bred, PNW would be a stretch (and you might get chilly!) 45F tonight on 3 Sept. Garden is doing FINE and will produce well into November / Dec (I will be in TX, so FREE produce for renter and neighbors).

I still suggest U come to visit PNW... August and Sept is a GOOD time to flee TX!.
$10/ night including FREE Salmon and fresh berries! <20 min to PDX (best USA airport!)
http://wikitravel.org/en/Hospitality_exchange

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 09-03-2015 at 11:15 PM..

Old 09-06-2015, 12:37 PM

5,617 posts, read 13,765,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I thought this was great. Thanks!!

Old 09-06-2015, 01:11 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,527,824 times
Quote:

I want to stay in the area of east TX/Louisiana, so that limits my options.
Have you looked at Lafayette, LA? It is a little larger than Tyler and not too far from Baton Rouge and New Orleans. It's a fun city with a Cajun theme, lots of good Cajun cooking, festivals, a small college, etc. Probably no more hot than Houston or Beaumont. Don't know about cost of living or crime or how far it is from your relatives. Not the shopping that you have in DFW but no worse than Tyler. If I had to go back to Louisiana, New Orleans or Lafayette would be my top choices.

Old 09-06-2015, 06:45 PM

14,261 posts, read 24,004,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
Have you looked at Lafayette, LA? It is a little larger than Tyler and not too far from Baton Rouge and New Orleans. It's a fun city with a Cajun theme, lots of good Cajun cooking, festivals, a small college, etc. Probably no more hot than Houston or Beaumont. Don't know about cost of living or crime or how far it is from your relatives. Not the shopping that you have in DFW but no worse than Tyler. If I had to go back to Louisiana, New Orleans or Lafayette would be my top choices.

Lafayette is a lot cheaper than the DFW in terms of housing costs and the like and is similar in temperature and climate as Houston. Louisiana-Lafayette is hardly a small university these days but there are a lot of cultural activities in the area that are affiliated with ULL and LSU. I am not sure about the crime situation as there is a lot of poverty in that region.

Denton, TX looked pretty attractive and seemed to be a nice community. It was a bit close to the DFW Metroplex and congestion for my tastes and after 15 years in Chicago, I did not want to deal with that in retirement.

Old 09-07-2015, 02:04 PM

1,779 posts, read 1,420,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
I thought this was great. Thanks!!
I believe he made the final shift.
Dr. Wayne Dyer, motivational guru, dies at 75 - CBS News

And only 75

Old 09-08-2015, 01:00 AM

10,818 posts, read 8,069,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Tyler sounds interesting... Have you visited all of these places?
Doubtful the poster has actually visited Beaumont.

We have a connection with Beaumont, go there every several months to support a friend who is involved with the arts community there. Said friend grew up in Beaumont but is only there by necessity now (caretaker for elderly relatives).
There's a strong arts community but truth be told the crime rate and the once glorious but now entirely desolate downtown, coupled with the sticky climate and sucky air/water quality, well suffice to say there's nothing to put Beaumont on anyone's top 100 or even top 1000 list of retirement places.

Old 09-11-2015, 02:01 PM

10,333 posts, read 10,358,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
As some of you know from following my posts, I am planning on retiring alone, but in a different area from where I am now (California) due to the costs.

I am curious if there are other single/divorced/widowed women out there considering relocating to another area by themselves, and if so to where, and why that location?

I am very torn about where to go. I love the sunshine and dry weather -- factors in my choices. I also want a social network, and am an eastcoaster, originally, and am wondering if I should reconsider the eastcoast because it seems more social. It will also just be my retirement income (it's just me!), and so lower costs, rather than higher, are important.

I'm not really old enough for the senior centers, as I've noticed they seem to be more filled with the 70 and over crowd. Therefore, since I am still lively and young at heart, I am looking for a place where older singles still mingle. I am searching out places that may work for a single retired woman. (I am 59 right now, but plan to try to stick it out here a few more years, if possible.)

I have diverse interests, moderate politics (Independent), and write, play a little piano for myself, draw, and teach art. I'm a social worker by trade, but would like to be involved in more activities and volunteering that would be "fun" oriented. I love hiking -- that is one of my favorite pursuits. I also adore cooking. I have a dog and three cats. I am also not religious, although I guess the term "Spiritual" would apply. My daughter will be in college, but also studying abroad, so she and I will not be in the same city.

I'd love to hear what others think about this situation. Thanks!
Wisteria
Costa Rica for a year or more. Why not? Age 59 is "YOU AIN'T NEAR DEAD YET" Don't slow down just speed up. Plenty of hiking in Costa Rica. How about seeing so many Hummingbirds in once place it is like a bad Mosquito day? They won't touch you.

Old 09-11-2015, 03:08 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,297 posts, read 3,343,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Costa Rica for a year or more. Why not? Age 59 is "YOU AIN'T NEAR DEAD YET" Don't slow down just speed up. Plenty of hiking in Costa Rica. How about seeing so many Hummingbirds in once place it is like a bad Mosquito day? They won't touch you.

Hey Versatile............... Check the date of the OP's post.......it's 8 years ago....she's now 67 and probably has "Blue Hair and wears a House Coat"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement