U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2015, 03:27 AM

7,983 posts, read 11,683,359 times

Advertisements

There are some beautiful areas inland, western Virginia.

I'm not suggesting this area per se but it is fascinating and a beautiful area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...dio_Quiet_Zone

I think the hardest part for me is - where ever I go, there I am. I'm not suddenly going to have a lot of friends, no problems, love to socialize, be a different person. I'm going to be the same person there.

Old 09-21-2015, 04:17 AM

4,986 posts, read 3,477,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post

I think the hardest part for me is - where ever I go, there I am. I'm not suddenly going to have a lot of friends, no problems, love to socialize, be a different person. I'm going to be the same person there.
That is so totally true but, if you're not at the place you're comfortable with, you won't be happy. I may give myself 3 years here, until I turn 65, but not sure. It's a goal. BUT, I am starting to look at other places.
I'm quiet and not a joiner of things, so I don't really fit in with some of the other women where I live. I love being by water but since I moved to town, don't see it anymore unless I drive to it. I feel so different from everyone here because I lived & worked in the city but my family has roots here so, in a sense I belong. Yet I don't.

I'm still me but feel as if I've so outgrown here. YET, I know I suffer from depression & have to take that into consideration.

People here on CD have given us valuable help in relating their experiences. I, for one, am going to listen & learn from their experiences. Nothing says we have to move. It's power though in knowing we can.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:24 AM

2,442 posts, read 1,680,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post

I learn so much about things I didn't know existed by reading posts here, thanks for this one.

When I read posts about starting a new life somewhere else, alarm bells go off. New place? Yes. New life? Maybe.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:35 AM

4,691 posts, read 3,263,277 times
Giesela: I think the hardest part for me is - where ever I go, there I am. I'm not suddenly going to have a lot of friends, no problems, love to socialize, be a different person. I'm going to be the same person there.

That is exactly what I know about myself. I prefer being by myself but when the mood strikes that I want society..... I go out to find it. Coffee shops, grocery stores, library etc. I have no problem starting a conversation. I don't have a lot of free spending money, but there are plenty of ways to get that need filled without spending a lot.

meo92953: I'm still me but feel as if I've so outgrown here. YET, I know I suffer from depression & have to take that into consideration.

I also have depression (I take meds) along with anxiety. It's a tough walk some days.

I canceled my plans to move out of central NY for several reasons. Not enough money, fear, people telling me I should stay put (friends!), my sister, etc. So I'm here, living in a senior income-based apartment in a busy suburb with everything I need (stores/services) all within one mile drive. Lots of women here are in their element here.... a few of them live on my end of the hall. Noisy? Oh yes. Some came from houses where slammed doors, loud conversations in the hallway at midnight were the norm. I don't join them in the community room for games, conversations, pot lucks, etc. I like making my own food, sleeping when I need/want to, being independent as I have been for past 32+ years.

I do long for the day when I can leave Dodge. I'm afraid that some of my "dream places" are out of reach (I would love to live by the ocean or a large lake) but the cost is higher than my ability to pay. But as you and others have mentioned, I like to read peoples' comments regarding places to live, cost of living, weather, etc. I'm sure there is a place for me.

So I have a goal.... four more years, I should be free as a bird. Of course this free bird will be close to 78 by that time. I would love to hear something from the single seniors in my age bracket who have similar dreams, how they did it, how they planned and managed it.

A wealth of wonderful people and information here.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:24 AM

13,349 posts, read 25,612,945 times
I am going to start a side thread to this discussion if I may- about moving somewhere alone and having an ongoing depression problem.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:31 AM

4,986 posts, read 3,477,182 times
I'd go along with that.

Old 09-24-2015, 04:11 AM

3,904 posts, read 4,893,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Area Vibes: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
gives more thorough information and has many small towns, as well. Check it out and
see for yourself.

Last edited by Yac; 09-25-2015 at 06:09 AM..

Old 09-30-2015, 11:37 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,696 posts, read 40,074,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I am going to start a side thread to this discussion if I may- about moving somewhere alone and having an ongoing depression problem.
well,... unfortunately our problems do follow us,

But hurrah! our triggers and responses change!

Leave the 'worry / high expectations' of yourself and others behind! (tough as it seems). Be grateful for what you DO get done, and look forward to that next day when you MIGHT get more done, BUT you don't HAVE to! Remember that the NEW persons you meet EVERYWHERE are carrying plenty of burdens. Delight in them and be a 'light' to them. (they will appreciate you MORE than you can imagine)

Create a support structure that encourages / empowers you to be that different person you desire and deserve to show to others.

Plug into EZ community engagement opportunities. Avoid taking leadership responsibilities, enjoy being the 'grunt' who and enjoy the service to others and NOT carry the burden of being front and center.

I trust you will do well. Colorado brisk and sunny air is delightful for walking and bicycling (an ideal treatment for many with depression). I SWIM laps to drown my sorrows (Did 240 laps one snowy day in Lead, SD. ) I was RECHARGED rather than tired (that too... but much less than the recharge benefit)

DON"T take on too much of your own burdens (Get someone to FINISH that new house!) unfinished homes can propagate additional depression. Fresh starts are possible and sustainable! Skeletons can be REMOVED from the closet, NEVER to appear again. I trust you will be delightfully 'redeemed' from the ugly burden (on yourself) of depression.

Just a couple things from my 40 yrs of dealing with rough cases including a dependent parent with severe clinical depression and much more! (you see it daily...) I LIVED with it all my life and tried hard to put my childhood family back together (middle kid thing)). Humpty Dumpty was a simple repair in comparison, Material things can be fixed, then they are 'all better'!!!! Oh the thought of THAT (All better, no skeletons!)

One thing I REALLY like about retirement is helping others in very unexpected ways and situations.
from Changing a tire for someone headed to a job interview, to dropping in on a friend of 20 yrs past to find their family in crisis and sheriff forcing them from their home. We loaded their Moving Van and I drove it 3000 miles and unloaded it for them in a 'new place' in life. 6 yrs later we bumped into them. They are doing terrific! (had previously been depressed / distraught'). Jobs and family improved, they are still renting rather than owning, but all will work out and they can finally 'retire'. I am overjoyed for them! (And will be for YOU!, whatever your future brings).

remember.. we are ALL alone! (in our own little worlds). Married, partnered, staying with family, living in a commune... we are EACH alone! and we each bear the burden and opportunity to bloom where we are planted. May yours be a beautiful Garden both in MA and in CO! You ARE much more valuable than YOU realize. (WE can't and may NEVER know the extent of that)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 09-30-2015 at 11:57 PM..

Old 10-10-2015, 08:17 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,232,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
remember.. we are ALL alone! (in our own little worlds). Married, partnered, staying with family, living in a commune... we are EACH alone! and we each bear the burden and opportunity to bloom where we are planted. May yours be a beautiful Garden both in MA and in CO! You ARE much more valuable than YOU realize. (WE can't and may NEVER know the extent of that)
Yes, StealthRabbit, completely agree.
BDL, so much of what you are going through resonates strongly with me. You will find your way through this to find peace and contentment.

Old 10-10-2015, 11:14 AM

13,349 posts, read 25,612,945 times
People's responses have been very empowering for me. I really appreciate this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement