U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2015, 03:10 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,969,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiki Jensen View Post

Hope this helps.
Wow, Kiki, without recopying your whole post, above, you've decided my life for me. I am staying right where I am!!

Old 10-21-2015, 07:55 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,729,443 times
To poster Kiki Jensen: Yesterday you wrote a long response to the OP of this thread (Wisteria). I don't think the chances are very good that she will see your post, as she has not posted at all on City-Data for almost two years.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:40 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,332,190 times
I wonder how much importance us older folks put on the accessibility to the best quality health care and medical infrastructure? This is near the top of my list even though I'm still in pretty good health ... but I know that won't last forever. I'm reading about people complaining about the humidity in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina or the scorpions in Arizona - but those things wouldn't stop me from moving there.

I want to be near the best medical research facilities with teaching hospitals and the ability to take advantage of the latest state of the art medical care. According to US NEWS & World Report the medical centers that always rank on top are the same ones year after year: Johns Hopkins (Baltimore), Mayo Clinic, Massachusetts General (Boston), Brigham & Women's (Boston), Columbia Presbyterian (NYC), Northwestern (Chicago), Washington University-Barnes/Jewish (St. Louis), Hospital of University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia), the Cleveland Clinic (Cleveland), Memorial Sloan Kettering (NYC), UCLA (LA) and UCSF (San Francisco) and University of Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh).

The beautiful scenery or good fishing or hiking trails or low house prices of remote places are fine - not putting them down - but may be impractical if one is in their 60's or '70's are are starting to have medical issues.

Just my opinion.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:18 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,294 posts, read 3,339,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I wonder how much importance us older folks put on the accessibility to the best quality health care and medical infrastructure? This is near the top of my list even though I'm still in pretty good health ... but I know that won't last forever. I'm reading about people complaining about the humidity in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina or the scorpions in Arizona - but those things wouldn't stop me from moving there.

I want to be near the best medical research facilities with teaching hospitals and the ability to take advantage of the latest state of the art medical care. According to US NEWS & World Report the medical centers that always rank on top are the same ones year after year: Johns Hopkins (Baltimore), Mayo Clinic, Massachusetts General (Boston), Brigham & Women's (Boston), Columbia Presbyterian (NYC), Northwestern (Chicago), Washington University-Barnes/Jewish (St. Louis), Hospital of University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia), the Cleveland Clinic (Cleveland), Memorial Sloan Kettering (NYC), UCLA (LA) and UCSF (San Francisco) and University of Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh).

The beautiful scenery or good fishing or hiking trails or low house prices of remote places are fine - not putting them down - but may be impractical if one is in their 60's or '70's are are starting to have medical issues.

Just my opinion.
.........Clark Park......

Please understand, I take no issue with the contents of your post, and agree 100% that being able to get top notch medical care as we get older and are well into retirement is very important and is "just plain common sense"...............However, I would not limit my choice of a retirement location based upon it's close proximity to one of the wonderful Medical facilities you list in your post.

Using myself as an example, it is my opinion that there are many medical facilities that provide excellent medical service and care that are not ranked as high as those listed every year in that annual issue of US NEWS & World Report...........My life has been saved not once, but twice by medical care received by facilities and staff that have never made the top 30 List.

I have had various "medical-issues" dating back to 1951 when I was a passenger in a single vehicle (very high speed) auto accident that killed the two people (on impact) riding next to me in the front seat of a 1949 Ford Convertible (top was down). I have lived with the long-term after effects of the 15 fractures and several other related injuries that kept me in the hospital for over (5) months in a body cast. In these interveening years (I'm now in my 84th yr) I have had (5) major surgeries including some orthpedic re-construction and (un-related) cancer surgery for removal of the prostate and a portion of the bladder...........all of these medical services have been performed in highly rated hospitals,........but none listed in the top 30 of the US NEWS annual issue.......................So yes,.......there are many "good hospitals and fantastic doctors out there" that are not given enough credit for their "life-saving skills".

Again I repeat, I respect your thoughts and opinion regarding those Top Rated Medical Facilities but I would not choose a retirement location based on close proximity to one of those listed.

One further thought:.............IMHO, I think that the "will to live" and "fight through" various medical issues are major factors in determining how we live our lives and how far we get into our retirement years. One of the most satisfying experiences in my life (after I retired from 40 yrs of work) was when I harvested a 9'3" Kodiak Grizzly Bear on a Kodiak Island Alaska mountain side after a 3 hour stalk in a November sleet storm after climbing 1380 feet from sea-level............while wearing a back brace and an articulated knee brace that I continue to wear on a daily basis to this day.

Nothing worth while in life comes easy.........

Old 10-22-2015, 06:51 PM

8,191 posts, read 11,905,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiki Jensen View Post
Growing evidence presented by atmospheric scientists suggest the negative consequences of the government's ongoing weather modification projects - aka "chemtrails". For those of you who look up,
chemtrails are the spreading silvery-white stripes in the sky that turn a clear blue sky murky grey.

Environmental engineering is a billion dollar industry which noticeably began during the Bush Administration and has increased 24/7/365 under Obama. I've noticed that the only time we do not see those toxic white lines is on federal holidays. Google: "What in the World Are They Spraying?"

Old 10-22-2015, 09:50 PM

1,317 posts, read 833,634 times
I leased a 2 br apartment in Huachuca City on October 16th. I cannot get internet service until the 28th I can use the office's WiFi during the day and the library is only open till 6 pm. Been very busy unpacking car and shopping for the living necessities. HC is very small - Dollar General and Circle K gas are nearby on Rte 90, and there are many major stores in Sierra Vista that are within a 10 mile radius. My apartment is within a block of the library, senior center, post office, and police & fire stations.

I hope to update my blog next week!

Old 10-23-2015, 02:04 AM

20 posts, read 50,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Wow kiki you brought up a lot of things to think about. I've just begun to research places to retire to. I now know the Branson area is probably out. In the spring I will research Knoxville & maybe in the fall, Cleveland.

I'm thinking more of Knoxville Tennessee because my brother lives in Nashville which is only a couple hundred miles away & he could get to me fairly quickly if I needed him.

Sometimes I think I just may stay where I am as I'm in a senior building, only 16 apts & we watch out for each other. But there's winter to think about. Can I keep on dealing with it? And I'm in a tiny town with the nearest real grocery store 9 miles away. This is not a problem in spring through fall but in winter will it be? I've only been by myself since April, having stayed with family after my back operation. I'm not too exited about how winter may affect my back. This coming winter will be the real test. You have given me a lot to think of while I make my decision.

Glad I was able to help. "Hindsight is 20-20."

If you're on good terms with your brother, I would move to Nashville instead of Knoxville because a couple of hundred miles away is a long distance, especially in an emergency. Tennessee gets snow too, although not nearly as much as MN.

If you choose to stay in your senior building, and the closest grocery store is 9 miles away, find out if they
deliver. Most municipalities offer Helping Hands services or Meals on Wheels. Church volunteers also offer help. It's worth checking out.

Wishing you all the best!

Kiki

Old 10-23-2015, 02:08 AM

20 posts, read 50,529 times
damn right!!!

Old 10-23-2015, 09:14 AM

4,658 posts, read 3,239,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
Wow, Kiki, without recopying your whole post, above, you've decided my life for me. I am staying right where I am!!
I am with you, RB. I think for me, the grass looked greener on the other side and I was in an emotional state that had me wanting to run away from certain situations.

While I've had my issues with God, I am now looking at it that He knew what was best for me and that is why I'm still here. I still have issues with God, but at least I am now closer to wanting to "work them out."

I've thought a lot about where I live and realize how good it is to get in the car and know the shortcuts to get there quickly and safely. Stores are close by. I'm familiar with the pharmacist and people who work at the pharmacy. So feel comfortable asking questions (sometimes dumb ones, but if I don't know the answer, I ask it). And when it comes to the weather, I know what to expect. Have lived here a very long time. I am not so sure I want to re-learn the best way to get to places. The best (for me) stores to go to. And so on.

I hope someday I will be able to venture to places (all within the U.S.) to visit. And knowing myself pretty well, I love coming home.

Old 10-23-2015, 04:16 PM

2,421 posts, read 3,722,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
That is so totally true but, if you're not at the place you're comfortable with, you won't be happy. I may give myself 3 years here, until I turn 65, but not sure. It's a goal. BUT, I am starting to look at other places.
I'm quiet and not a joiner of things, so I don't really fit in with some of the other women where I live. I love being by water but since I moved to town, don't see it anymore unless I drive to it. I feel so different from everyone here because I lived & worked in the city but my family has roots here so, in a sense I belong. Yet I don't.

I'm still me but feel as if I've so outgrown here. YET, I know I suffer from depression & have to take that into consideration.

People here on CD have given us valuable help in relating their experiences. I, for one, am going to listen & learn from their experiences. Nothing says we have to move. It's power though in knowing we can.
If you can take humidity, there are lots of places in Florida that you could live cheaply and be near the water.

As an example, I still own a duplex in an older adult community in Palm Beach County. It is about 1000 sq. ft, and is just like having your own small house (yard included) It has a boat dock and club house, and is located in a very upscale area. You can buy a unit there for between $110-$130,000. HOA are only $ about $200 a year, because the only thing they have to pay for and maintain is the Entry way, and the clubhouse and boating area.

You have to hire a gardener or take care of the landscaping yourself. I have mango trees and an orange tree. The mangoes are so plentiful in the summer and the best you ever tasted. I bought it for my mother, who is now in a nursing home. Keeping the place, because I think it is special for what you get for the money, and I may just decide to return there someday.

It is 5 minutes to the most beautiful beaches. Also with your homestead exemption on the house , your taxes are minimal (would be around $750-$800 a year now.) I must add though, it you have to rent, this area is not for you if you are looking for reasonable rent. Rents average between $1,200 to $1,400 for a 2/2. If you must rent there are cheaper places in other areas of Florida that you might consider, but still be within a short driving distance to the water.

Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-p1000644.jpg

Last edited by modhatter; 10-23-2015 at 04:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement