U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2015, 04:17 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,472,095 times

Advertisements

As I have said previously, this winter will be the defining decision for me. Can my back take the weather? Or will I be stuck in my apartment for months on end. Last year I was stuck inside but living with family so this will be the first time since back surgery that I have been by myself.

Yet, I realize that I'm getting a good deal here. Cheap rent, good neighbors, trusted car repair shop, no crime (I'm sure Fergus proper has some but haven't heard of any here).

The minuses are that it is a small town & people seem too concerned with other's business & the drive to any stores. Coming from the city I have a hard time with that. But I'll see. This might be the best place for me.

As for Nashville, it's too expensive for me to live there.

Modhatter, I doubt if I could take the humidity or the hot summer's of Florida.

Old 10-23-2015, 04:32 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,161,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I can't decide where to move to.

Right now I'm considering Tyler, Texas (1 1/2 hr east of Dallas). The why is: it's a "large" small city, has a large med ctr, is seeking to attract retirees, has a lower property tax than many TX cities, has great soil for gardening I'm told, is a rose capital and azalea haven, is pretty, is near two larger cities (Dallas & Shreveport La.), is closer to family in Louisiana than where I am now, has a Sam's Club and other big box stores, has good prices on homes, has attractive homes with decent sized yards, has parks and lakes, the economy isn't bad for a large-small city, GREAT of living, more rain than where I am now.

Also going to look at Beaumont TX (SE Texas). The why is: Close to Houston, close to family in Louisiana, great gardening area, decent house prices, decent economy, good # of medical providers, a "large" small city, really good cost of living, lots of rain.

Also considering Houston, but I'm gradually not liking that idea. The why for considering it is: All the best med care you could want, decent house prices, awesome houses, many decent sized yards, rain rain rain!, humidity doesn't bother me, good economy. There are some negatives, though, so am not liking the idea as much as I used to.

Also considering staying in Dallas, but I probably won't. Why I would stay: It's a great city - not too big population wise, not too small; highways and roads planned very well; has a pretty good public transportation system (bus and rail); lots of competitive shopping; I know my way around and where to live and not to live; great economy; I have friends here; I'm here already; cost of living okay (not great, not bad).

I want to stay in the area of east TX/Louisiana, so that limits my options.
I would recommend you look at other areas of the "Golden Triangle" Nederland, Groves, Lumberton, Silsbee as opposed to Beaumont proper.

Old 10-23-2015, 04:32 PM

2,421 posts, read 3,728,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I wonder how much importance us older folks put on the accessibility to the best quality health care and medical infrastructure? This is near the top of my list even though I'm still in pretty good health ... but I know that won't last forever. I'm reading about people complaining about the humidity in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina or the scorpions in Arizona - but those things wouldn't stop me from moving there.

I want to be near the best medical research facilities with teaching hospitals and the ability to take advantage of the latest state of the art medical care. According to US NEWS & World Report the medical centers that always rank on top are the same ones year after year: Johns Hopkins (Baltimore), Mayo Clinic, Massachusetts General (Boston), Brigham & Women's (Boston), Columbia Presbyterian (NYC), Northwestern (Chicago), Washington University-Barnes/Jewish (St. Louis), Hospital of University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia), the Cleveland Clinic (Cleveland), Memorial Sloan Kettering (NYC), UCLA (LA) and UCSF (San Francisco) and University of Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh).

The beautiful scenery or good fishing or hiking trails or low house prices of remote places are fine - not putting them down - but may be impractical if one is in their 60's or '70's are are starting to have medical issues.

Just my opinion.
Also, Housten, Tx. has MD Anderson. Phoenix, Az. now has a MD Anderson and The Mayo Clinic. Both of which take Medicare with a supplement.

As far as weather, there are few states where the weather doesn't get either too cold, or too hot in the summers. Southern California being one of them and Hawaii being the two with perfect weather. However, we all know that you pay dearly for that. I think both Colorado City, Co. and surrounding areas have milder winters with minimal snow, and very nice summers. Also areas of Utah. Utah being more expensive.

The Southern East coast though having milder winters as a rule can have very hot and humid summers. Southern Nevada and Arizona have nice weather 8 mo's out of the year, but you must suffer through 4 months of brutal heat in the summer. So only two states can claim "Paradise" as far as weather goes.

Last edited by modhatter; 10-23-2015 at 04:46 PM..

Old 10-23-2015, 04:34 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,161,032 times
Houston is a 90 minute drive from Lumberton.

Old 10-24-2015, 06:41 AM

7,983 posts, read 11,675,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Also, Housten, Tx. has MD Anderson. Phoenix, Az. now has a MD Anderson and The Mayo Clinic. Both of which take Medicare with a supplement.

As far as weather, there are few states where the weather doesn't get either too cold, or too hot in the summers. Southern California being one of them and Hawaii being the two with perfect weather. However, we all know that you pay dearly for that. I think both Colorado City, Co. and surrounding areas have milder winters with minimal snow, and very nice summers. Also areas of Utah. Utah being more expensive.

The Southern East coast though having milder winters as a rule can have very hot and humid summers. Southern Nevada and Arizona have nice weather 8 mo's out of the year, but you must suffer through 4 months of brutal heat in the summer. So only two states can claim "Paradise" as far as weather goes.
And I wish those two states didn't have water worries. I don't want to retire somewhere I'm just another person sucking up sparse water resources and taking away from the nature I love.

Old 10-24-2015, 10:50 PM

4,409 posts, read 5,935,435 times
Quote:
I wonder how much importance us older folks put on the accessibility to the best quality health care and medical infrastructure? This is near the top of my list even though I'm still in pretty good health ... but I know that won't last forever. I'm reading about people complaining about the humidity in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina or the scorpions in Arizona - but those things wouldn't stop me from moving there.

I want to be near the best medical research facilities with teaching hospitals and the ability to take advantage of the latest state of the art medical care. According to US NEWS & World Report the medical centers that always rank on top are the same ones year after year: Johns Hopkins (Baltimore), Mayo Clinic, Massachusetts General (Boston), Brigham & Women's (Boston), Columbia Presbyterian (NYC), Northwestern (Chicago), Washington University-Barnes/Jewish (St. Louis), Hospital of University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia), the Cleveland Clinic (Cleveland), Memorial Sloan Kettering (NYC), UCLA (LA) and UCSF (San Francisco) and University of Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh).

The beautiful scenery or good fishing or hiking trails or low house prices of remote places are fine - not putting them down - but may be impractical if one is in their 60's or '70's are are starting to have medical issues.

Just my opinion.
Right. My friend's parents built their dream retirement home in one of those plush new communities in the middle-of-nowhere NC. Initially, they had a ball, playing golf and doing nightly happy hours with the neighbors. The nearest food store was 20 minutes away, but whatever. Until the wife got cancer and had to have daily radiation. That was the straw that broke the camel's back. They ended up moving to a large city to be close to family AND good medical care. Does no one think of medical care before they move to these remote places?

Like you, Clark Park, I was spoiled living near Philadelphia and its world-class teaching facilities -- even the U of PA Vet School was nearby for second opinions on the dogs! I can sure see a difference here in FL.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:42 AM

1 posts, read 869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I have been to Becketwood, but in a much different capacity than a resident. Maybe you know someone who has been there a long time. I am interested in how it works out for the more 'normal' Joe / Josephine.

Co-ops have significant social dynamics that would be a great challenge to me (not exactly a 'follower', tho also not a LEADER.) I just don't deal well with RULES (ask my mom). I also think it is silly for us EACH to have and maintain our entire home / infrastructure. *which is gonna be VERY expensive someday.

China puts ants in more than your pants..(ants are everywhere, just like when I lived in Singapore. you drop a bit of food, here comes the army!). PT job back doing international business development so I can get healthcare for awhile (till this party is OVER or 2013 comes with FREE Obamacare for the poor and helples). Goal is to get mileage and hotel perks back up, so I can take a 1 yr round the world free flight and have plenty of 'upgrades' / free benefits. I love being GONE, so work is not an issue, BUT I have a lot of undone projects,,, being left behind.

AFAIK, Colorado trip will be R&R + looking for investment properties attractive to retirees. (including me some day... in about 20 yrs).

Master plan is still 4 places in US and probably 2 overseas (asia and europe). Each will be rural rental with apt for me. At age 75-80, I will sell and carry back the paper, and move to Becketwood (or the equivalent that I build / find myself).

US targets are:

SW WA (near current place, 20 min to PDX, but serene. I bought that one last yr. it is rented and I'm still fixing... VERY nice 2 acres, plenty of space for me AND renters. $3 / day taxes vs $35 where I now live, yet less that 1 minute away... Not NEARLY as nice of view )

Loveland
(Hope to get this yr... tho might need to get one in Denver first and do a 1031 exchange to Loveland (rates are LOW, must buy soon)

Hill country TX (Kerrville to Wimberley). will get this LAST (high values / taxes here)

Tri Cities TN, (This yr looking here too... EXCELLENT cap rates (Return on investment capital))

(all INCOME tax free except CO)

Also considering a single (Expensive) property in partnership with my kids. If you spend a bundle you get better returns AND can afford a manager.

International... Probably a small villa in N Italy or Southern France.
and a place in Malaysia or Thailand (medical care). Most international villas come with caretaker qtrs. I will use that house and rent the main house and farm.

We'll see... step at a time (until that LAST step... might be tomorrow... just lost a friend in Thailand this week due to an accident ... very common way to die over here... POOR EMS). I will be using a Scooter... less painful / quicker way to die.
A multi-national property investor-sounds very interesting. How do you manage to keep up with all the properties? I have 4 in the Twin Cities and that keeps me more than busy!

Old 10-26-2015, 12:26 PM

239 posts, read 154,511 times
Wow, 786 pages. I couldn't read all the posts but I do love the topic. Originally a Connecticut Yankee, I went to college in New York and ended up in New Jersey, a great state to work and bring up children. There was plenty of money to be made but high taxes and a high cost of living. Newly retired, my husband and I have sold our home and are building our dream home in Delaware. A home in Delaware on 3/4 of a wooded acre, on a pond is the same price as a condo in NJ! We have five children, between the two of us, and cannot move far away from them. In NJ, where the taxes on a home can be upwards of $!4,000 a year, in Delaware it's more like $1,500 a year, and when you turn 65 you no longer pay school taxes so deduct $500 from the $1500. DE has no sales tax. There are some fabulous Green Builders down here, and we get to live minutes from the beautiful Delaware beaches (Cape Henlopen, Rehoboth, Bethany and Fenwick). We keep telling our kids that we'll be a ferry ride away. (Cape May-Lewes Ferry, that is) or a mere 3 1/2 hours away by car. Where we are now we see mountains and rolling hills but we're going to trade it off for a flatter terrain, great for biking and walking. Since all our kids are grown, schools are not an issue anymore, even though they tell us local schools where we are building are very good.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:15 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,759,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzsilk View Post
................................ Since all our kids are grown, schools are not an issue anymore, even though they tell us local schools where we are building are very good.
Except for the fact that the quality of the schools has a lot to do with property values in the area.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:17 AM

514 posts, read 669,357 times
Quote:

Just my opinion.
For those looking for world-class medical care, easy access to rural scenery, and reasonably low COL: Cleveland and Pittsburgh may offer the best compromises. There are beautiful areas within thirty minutes of both hospitals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement