U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-30-2015, 07:03 AM
 
12,025 posts, read 5,136,942 times
Reputation: 18832

Advertisements

I'll be retiring in a few years and moving to a small to medium size town in Kentucky ranging in population from 2000 to about 15,000. I don't know which one yet, but I refuse to narrow my search to one that is minutes from a large hospital. I can't spend the rest of my life living where I really don't want to be because I'm waiting for that day when I need world class medical care. There's also a good chance that day may never even come since most of my relatives seem to die quickly and not of long term illnesses. Of course, a small town within an hours driving distance to a relatively large city would be ideal for many reasons, not just medical ones.

 
Old 10-30-2015, 07:20 AM
 
Location: NC Piedmont
3,911 posts, read 2,881,013 times
Reputation: 6291
Proximity to good medical care is a box to check but how much weight it has is going to vary. I want at least some semblance of a hospital nearby. An ER with an OR even if it is a satellite facility that usually doesn't do major surgeries is enough to check the box as far as I am concerned; odds are they could stabilize you and get you where you need to be if something major happens. I want to live near the beach where it is usually warm. Almost any place that meets my other needs will have a facility within a half hour or so.
 
Old 10-30-2015, 07:34 AM
 
6,323 posts, read 5,064,142 times
Reputation: 12848
well after another round of rainy weather and a tornado just down the road - moving to Arizona where it hardly rains is looking better. I hate rain. Do they have tornadoes?
 
Old 10-30-2015, 08:01 AM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,621 posts, read 9,689,321 times
Reputation: 10995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
well after another round of rainy weather and a tornado just down the road - moving to Arizona where it hardly rains is looking better. I hate rain. Do they have tornadoes?
A tornado would be an extremely rare thing here. However, the lower part of the state IS vulnerable to HUGE dust storms sometimes. I think our mountains, and more 'green', up here protects us to a great extent. It's just way more desert and sand down there. Look up Arizona Haboobs.

We had a ferocious storm come through yesterday afternoon. It was so huge we couldn't even TALK at work! A lot of big hail too. I guess the power went out at Fry's grocery store but ours didn't. I kept expecting it to though. My car got a GOOD washing! lol
 
Old 10-30-2015, 09:15 AM
 
6,323 posts, read 5,064,142 times
Reputation: 12848
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
A tornado would be an extremely rare thing here. However, the lower part of the state IS vulnerable to HUGE dust storms sometimes. I think our mountains, and more 'green', up here protects us to a great extent. It's just way more desert and sand down there. Look up Arizona Haboobs.

We had a ferocious storm come through yesterday afternoon. It was so huge we couldn't even TALK at work! A lot of big hail too. I guess the power went out at Fry's grocery store but ours didn't. I kept expecting it to though. My car got a GOOD washing! lol
I've been through a couple of huge dust storms in Kuwait. I think it is more the trees that bother me. I probably developed a sort of PTSD after the big tree fell close to our house! I sure am glad that thing is gone, but I still get anxious when the winds pick up. At least there aren't that many big trees down in the flatlands of Arizona.

I see all these houses around here with trees right next to them and I wonder how they can live like that!!
 
Old 10-30-2015, 09:38 AM
 
Location: NC Piedmont
3,911 posts, read 2,881,013 times
Reputation: 6291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I've been through a couple of huge dust storms in Kuwait. I think it is more the trees that bother me. I probably developed a sort of PTSD after the big tree fell close to our house! I sure am glad that thing is gone, but I still get anxious when the winds pick up. At least there aren't that many big trees down in the flatlands of Arizona.

I see all these houses around here with trees right next to them and I wonder how they can live like that!!
Hurricane Fran in '96 - six trees hit my house and one came through the roof but not all the way into the living area. So yeah, it happens but it is rare. Driving to work is riskier than just about anything else you can do, statistically. Retirement will take care of that...
 
Old 10-30-2015, 10:03 AM
 
12,025 posts, read 5,136,942 times
Reputation: 18832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I've been through a couple of huge dust storms in Kuwait. I think it is more the trees that bother me. I probably developed a sort of PTSD after the big tree fell close to our house! I sure am glad that thing is gone, but I still get anxious when the winds pick up. At least there aren't that many big trees down in the flatlands of Arizona.

I see all these houses around here with trees right next to them and I wonder how they can live like that!!
I love big trees. They provide shade when it's hot and give me a sense of comfort as well as a home for wildlife. The chances of having a tree come through your house is pretty minimal, like having lightning strike your house, especially if it's a healthy tree that hasn't been topped. Almost anything can happen at any time no matter where you are.
 
Old 10-30-2015, 10:10 AM
 
14,261 posts, read 24,004,620 times
Reputation: 20084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
well after another round of rainy weather and a tornado just down the road - moving to Arizona where it hardly rains is looking better. I hate rain. Do they have tornadoes?

Hardly rains in Arizona??

Other than most days in July, August, and September and the 1.5" of rain last night south of Tucson ...

In the past month, I have filled up two 55 gallon rain barrels.
 
Old 10-30-2015, 10:22 AM
 
Location: Prescott AZ
6,128 posts, read 9,088,474 times
Reputation: 11545
It's been raining so often here that I sometimes think I moved to Seattle. This is very unusual but may be an omen of things to come. And the winds can be ferocious at times. While driving home yesterday at the start of the storm, an outdoor umbrella blew across the road in front of me and then multiple tumbleweeds followed. I, too, am filling up rain barrels to try to save a palm that is suffering due to rain coming off my roof. And the newly seeded lawn may be washed away soon !
 
Old 10-30-2015, 10:30 AM
 
6,323 posts, read 5,064,142 times
Reputation: 12848
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Hardly rains in Arizona??

Other than most days in July, August, and September and the 1.5" of rain last night south of Tucson ...

In the past month, I have filled up two 55 gallon rain barrels.
1.5" - eh - some parts around here just had 10 and 11 AGAIN. Lots of flooding, schools closed, high water rescues etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top