Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2015, 12:30 PM

5,946 posts, read 5,091,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I love big trees. They provide shade when it's hot and give me a sense of comfort as well as a home for wildlife. The chances of having a tree come through your house is pretty minimal, like having lightning strike your house, especially if it's a healthy tree that hasn't been topped. Almost anything can happen at any time no matter where you are.
I love trees, too, big or small, but big is very good. They have a beauty like no other (to me), and I love the idea the birds build nests and take refuge in them. And of course squirrels. There are lots of trees bordering the parking lot where I live, but there is one in particular that I like a lot. It was planted when this place was built 4 years ago and is growing nicely. I don't know what kind it is, but its leaves are unusually shaped and their Fall color is a beautiful mix of gold and light green. Nothing beats the beauty of Mother Nature.

Sorry...off on a tangent..... just love trees.

Old 10-30-2015, 05:23 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,244,567 times
I've finally updated my blog with the Arizona trip and I posted some pictures to an album on Google since I couldn't get the images to upload to an album here on CD.

I still need to post about the trip to Cottonwood and visiting AZDesertBrat but it will get done ... eventually

Old 10-30-2015, 06:52 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,866,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I've been through a couple of huge dust storms in Kuwait. I think it is more the trees that bother me. I probably developed a sort of PTSD after the big tree fell close to our house! I sure am glad that thing is gone, but I still get anxious when the winds pick up. At least there aren't that many big trees down in the flatlands of Arizona.

I see all these houses around here with trees right next to them and I wonder how they can live like that!!
I have a couple of BIG trees in my yard but I don't think they are going anywhere. That big wind we had did blow a lot of leaves off though. I don't know what happens up on the mountain and some of those trees are pretty huge. We lose limbs here but that's about it. I have seen pics of Phoenix after a big storm where some trees were uprooted but, so far, we haven't had much of that up here.

Old 10-30-2015, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
It's been raining so often here that I sometimes think I moved to Seattle. This is very unusual but may be an omen of things to come. And the winds can be ferocious at times. While driving home yesterday at the start of the storm, an outdoor umbrella blew across the road in front of me and then multiple tumbleweeds followed. I, too, am filling up rain barrels to try to save a palm that is suffering due to rain coming off my roof. And the newly seeded lawn may be washed away soon !
It has been pretty weird, hasn't it? I'm loving it though. We have needed the rain so badly and I'm happy to see it. I finally got my umbrella out of my locker at work. It's been in there since July.

Old 10-31-2015, 07:29 AM

12,050 posts, read 10,204,563 times
Well we had another round of showers at 3am. At least we didn't get the high winds and hail that some did. The sun is out this morning. Supposed to rain again at the end of the week.

Old 10-31-2015, 02:37 PM

7,020 posts, read 6,243,771 times
Started out a beautiful day & now, just before 3, dark clouds & extreme wind. Poor kids! Hope it clears up so they can go trick or treating.

Old 10-31-2015, 02:57 PM

16,368 posts, read 30,124,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
It has been pretty weird, hasn't it? I'm loving it though. We have needed the rain so badly and I'm happy to see it. I finally got my umbrella out of my locker at work. It's been in there since July.

I have to confess that today was the first day in months that I wore long pants on a day where I wasn't heading to church. It was also the first day that I wore a long sleeve shirt since March and the first day I wore a jacket since April.

Today was the big local parage and I wanted to be prepared.

Old 10-31-2015, 04:15 PM

8,265 posts, read 6,337,386 times
I was considering moving from southern Calif. to southern Oregon and thanks to city data I found all about Medford and nearby towns.
The only reason to move is because Calif. it totally controlled bu Democrats with their constantly increasing taxes and all kinds of screwball laws that aggervate me. And Californias well known high cost of living.
But I was able to detirmiine that our proposition 13 that keeps out property taxes low really saves us. It would undoubtably be cheaper in Oregon but not enough to justify moving especally as I'm well into retirement age and don't have that much time lefr.

Old 10-31-2015, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I have to confess that today was the first day in months that I wore long pants on a day where I wasn't heading to church. It was also the first day that I wore a long sleeve shirt since March and the first day I wore a jacket since April.

Today was the big local parage and I wanted to be prepared.
Today I wore a sweatshirt under my vest for work. It was in the mid 40s here when I left for work at 6:45. I figured I can always take it off if it warms up. It didn't and I didn't. It did actually warm up some outside but now that I'm home it's cooling off again. I am looking forward to seeing my electric bill without the fans going 24/7!

Old 10-31-2015, 04:48 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,103,257 times
It is still in the mid to high 80's with dew points in the 70's in south Florida I wear shorts nearly every day of the year down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement