U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2015, 06:15 PM

2,440 posts, read 1,675,248 times

Advertisements

Over on the Gulf Coast in the Venice area, it's been mid eighties but in the 60's overnight. We took the last swim in our son's pool this week, he has a solar heater but no cover, so Halloween is usually the end of swimming. We have had a few low humidity days in the past few weeks. I've had the lanai doors and windows open for a few hours every morning for the past week. I can count on one hand how many days I have to wear shoes instead of sandals.

You've been 40 years down here while I've been in the northern winters all of my life outside of the last three years. That grass is always greener, until it's covered by snow.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:48 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,222,137 times
I'm already cold. It seems to get worse for me every year. This is the first year where I've actually developed sores on one of my fingers (from the cold) and it's not even November yet. I'll be visiting the Florida son over Thanksgiving and even though he's in the northeast part of the state I'm already looking forward to a bit more warmth.

Maybe, just maybe, I'll take the opportunity to look around to see what type of housing is available in the area. Sigh. Still not ready.

Old 10-31-2015, 07:16 PM

2,627 posts, read 4,956,557 times
My job had me working outdoors at least 6-8 hours each week all year. I would love to see some snow! Now that I am retired, if I don't want to drive in the snow I don't have to do so. Moving north means buying sweaters, a winter coat, other warm clothing. I want to move back to the USA. It is a third world country in Miami-Dade county and I can hardly wait to leave. Housing costs, insurance (both home & auto) are so much cheaper than here in hurricane-land. I start dreading hurricane season beginning in April. I would take a blizzard any day over a hurricane. I know that I am going against the grain by moving north after retirement, but I've had my fill of continually hot, humid weather. I am an outdoors person and I can always put more clothes on when it is cold and I want to go hiking, etc. The heat just drains my energy. We have ~ 10 days a year that I call brisk and refreshing....if we're lucky. Nope, done with the heat. It traps me in my air conditioned house. Night temperatures are still in the mid-70's to low 80's....yes night time temps. No 60's yet and at night there is no breeze and the humidity is soaring. My a.c. is still running. No open windows yet.

Old 10-31-2015, 07:40 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,222,137 times
Popcorn, when and where are you moving? Indiana?

I'm reluctant to move because I have an elderly father, siblings, a very good friend and I love my community. Mostly though, it's because I enjoy spending time with one of my sisters. If I were in your position I'd have flown the coop the day after my retirement. (TBH, sometimes I have paid a high price for my impulsiveness).

So what's the holdup? Your house?

Old 10-31-2015, 07:56 PM

2,627 posts, read 4,956,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Popcorn, when and where are you moving? Indiana?

I'm reluctant to move because I have an elderly father, siblings, a very good friend and I love my community. Mostly though, it's because I enjoy spending time with one of my sisters. If I were in your position I'd have flown the coop the day after my retirement. (TBH, sometimes I have paid a high price for my impulsiveness).

So what's the holdup? Your house?
I'm getting my house/yard ready to put up for sale. Yes, I plan on moving to my hometown, Lafayette, Indiana. I visited last spring and have been receiving listings from a realtor. I was so burned out after I retired, I needed some down time before trying to get my house on the market. I have no family down here or in Indiana, but I really feel that Indiana is a good fit for me. There is so much to do - hike, garden, visit historical places, attend festivals, go on drives through the countryside, etc.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:05 PM

4,981 posts, read 3,468,620 times
Check out the Northern areas. A lot of retirees like Wisconsin. I am Minnesotan born & except for three glorious years in San Francisco, have lived here all my life.

I'm exploring warmer areas right now but, may just stay here. Don't know. I'm planning on visiting areas I'm interested in but they will be mini vacations while I decide what to do. I don't think I'll find anything that I could move to which would allow me to live with my budget/income & still have extra to spend or save, whichever I want to do. And have the nice apartment I have, which is based on my income.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:06 PM

6,330 posts, read 5,069,672 times
It rained on us during evening trick or treating. We sit outside and hand out the candy. Poor kids.

It isn't really hot here, temp is 70 degrees right now, but my AC still comes on occasionally.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:13 PM

Our weather cleared up thankfully for the trick or treaters. They were so cute & being in a small town, they were respectful, said their thank you' s. So different from the city. I loved treating them & the candy I had left over will go to the Sunday School kids tomorrow. It was a delightful evening, brought back many memories of Halloween back when I was young myself.

This is one of the reasons I love small town living.

Old 11-01-2015, 05:23 PM

7,983 posts, read 11,671,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
My job had me working outdoors at least 6-8 hours each week all year. I would love to see some snow! Now that I am retired, if I don't want to drive in the snow I don't have to do so. Moving north means buying sweaters, a winter coat, other warm clothing. I want to move back to the USA. It is a third world country in Miami-Dade county and I can hardly wait to leave. Housing costs, insurance (both home & auto) are so much cheaper than here in hurricane-land. I start dreading hurricane season beginning in April. I would take a blizzard any day over a hurricane. I know that I am going against the grain by moving north after retirement, but I've had my fill of continually hot, humid weather. I am an outdoors person and I can always put more clothes on when it is cold and I want to go hiking, etc. The heat just drains my energy. We have ~ 10 days a year that I call brisk and refreshing....if we're lucky. Nope, done with the heat. It traps me in my air conditioned house. Night temperatures are still in the mid-70's to low 80's....yes night time temps. No 60's yet and at night there is no breeze and the humidity is soaring. My a.c. is still running. No open windows yet.
There are tons of old retirees in the north. Its ok to stay in the north. I do wish we had more sun in the winter though.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:11 PM

We'll have to count the days this year & see if there really is a difference in years gone by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement