U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2015, 02:44 PM

4,691 posts, read 3,263,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Oh? I thought "where and why" was location based. Trying to help older singles find good communities to live in.
Should we all agree to discuss more personal matters related to being older and single here? We do a little already but I never wanted to take it to far as it seemed off topic. Or start a new thread? Maybe a different forum would be more suitable? I tried starting one in Non Romantic relationshiops but I worded it badly and it got off topic right away, I asked a mod to delete it so I can start over.
Hi, I hope you will start a new thread. Judging from responses to your question here, I think you will open a door for much needed conversations for us singles.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:46 PM

4,493 posts, read 4,756,312 times
Lots of experiences, questions, and info from older threads that can be useful. Also, may include some that are not on here any longer but offer experiences. These are just some I found.

Chapter TWO: Women Retiring Alone. Did you Do it??
Single retired gal wondering about fitting in....
Single seniors who have retired to a new state--do you like it?
60 and single - anyone in the same boat?
Making NEW friends....
Retired Singles moving to???

Old 11-06-2015, 05:19 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,007,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
So maybe a new thread could encompass all who are NOT moving, but still old, single and alone. JMHO
Good idea, but if it's not made a sticky it'll sink to the bottom and out of sight sooner or later.

Old 11-06-2015, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
Good idea, but if it's not made a sticky it'll sink to the bottom and out of sight sooner or later.
How do you make something a stickie?

Old 11-06-2015, 07:28 PM

1,926 posts, read 995,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Not really. The intent was MOVING somewhere while being old, single and alone. So maybe a new thread could encompass all who are NOT moving, but still old, single and alone. JMHO
I am trying to use other parts of city data and just identifying myself as "old, single, and alone"

This forum moves fast and I feel like I am among my peers so less explaining. Still, many posts get moved because they are not deemed relevant to retirement, so I don't want to start a thread here just because I have a question/issue and I am retired.

I think many of us are more comfortable talking among ourselves and forget that others see this forum as having a more specific purpose.

Old 11-07-2015, 12:29 AM

26,591 posts, read 52,392,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I was considering moving from southern Calif. to southern Oregon and thanks to city data I found all about Medford and nearby towns.
The only reason to move is because Calif. it totally controlled bu Democrats with their constantly increasing taxes and all kinds of screwball laws that aggervate me. And Californias well known high cost of living.
But I was able to detirmiine that our proposition 13 that keeps out property taxes low really saves us. It would undoubtably be cheaper in Oregon but not enough to justify moving especally as I'm well into retirement age and don't have that much time lefr.
Washington State HAD it's own version of Prop 13 called I-747...

When it was struck down by a judge property assessments skyrocketed... mine increased 80%...

It is something to think about for those California homeowners thinking of leaving.

Old 11-07-2015, 03:32 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,769,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Washington State HAD it's own version of Prop 13 called I-747...

When it was struck down by a judge property assessments skyrocketed... mine increased 80%...

It is something to think about for those California homeowners thinking of leaving.
Yes, but California's Proposition 13 had its judicial review(s) many, many years ago and passed muster.

Old 11-12-2015, 04:46 AM

10,488 posts, read 5,952,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Hi, I hope you will start a new thread. Judging from responses to your question here, I think you will open a door for much needed conversations for us singles.
A lot of what is being discussed here, specifically remaining alone as we age, is covered in this thread which is here on the Retirement board.

Do many "Older" women consider Men "Irrelevant"?

Old 11-12-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
A lot of what is being discussed here, specifically remaining alone as we age, is covered in this thread which is here on the Retirement board.

Do many "Older" women consider Men "Irrelevant"?
I was responding to an earlier post regarding starting a new thread.
I don't particularly like the "....men irrelevant"--- thread as my personal belief is it's ridiculous.

Old 11-16-2015, 03:43 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,961,332 times
I've spoken many times about moving back 'home' to Lafayette, Indiana. Here is a short video with some highlights (very short video) about the town. They are in the running to be named 'America's Best Community'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2yKrw9ht8A
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement