U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2015, 10:52 AM

6,954 posts, read 7,392,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I've spoken many times about moving back 'home' to Lafayette, Indiana. Here is a short video with some highlights (very short video) about the town. They are in the running to be named 'America's Best Community'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2yKrw9ht8A
Looks like a nice spot for you.

Old 11-17-2015, 03:34 PM

536 posts, read 631,801 times
I am looking in a few years at retirement. Choosing cities would be a breeze if I were wealthy: New York, Boston, Santa Fe, or Los Angeles. (Even the wealthy can no longer afford San Francisco.)

I will have an OK income annually but not enough to carry a large amount of debt via a house, so I am looking at less expensive places. So far, Portland, ME or vicinity, Windham, NH or vicinity, Plymouth/Cape Cod MA or vicinity. My sister is warning me away from Orono, ME but I am looking in the area because I love universities, the good energy of people acquiring skills and knowledge. She is telling me it is too cold even for her--she lives in mid-coast Maine. I am looking near the Boothbays, too, but the university factor isn't there. Brunswick, ME has Bowden College but their humanities curriculum (though superlative) isn't quite in the realm of my interests. A bit traditional. So I keep looking. It will come down to a house that charms me in a place where there is good access to knowledge, either through extra good libraries or a nearby uni.

One of my assumptions if I move from SE Florida to the Northeast is that the winters will totally depress me. I grew up in SE Mass and they depressed me even when I was young. But my family is there, and family trumps climate. I am not terribly social but do have childhood friends in the NE area as well as family as a backup. We're close, our family--shared the home care of a dad with Alzheimers for some twenty years, taking turns.

Old 11-23-2015, 12:14 AM

4,404 posts, read 5,925,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyalicemore View Post
I am looking in a few years at retirement. Choosing cities would be a breeze if I were wealthy: New York, Boston, Santa Fe, or Los Angeles. (Even the wealthy can no longer afford San Francisco.)

I will have an OK income annually but not enough to carry a large amount of debt via a house, so I am looking at less expensive places. So far, Portland, ME or vicinity, Windham, NH or vicinity, Plymouth/Cape Cod MA or vicinity. My sister is warning me away from Orono, ME but I am looking in the area because I love universities, the good energy of people acquiring skills and knowledge. She is telling me it is too cold even for her--she lives in mid-coast Maine. I am looking near the Boothbays, too, but the university factor isn't there. Brunswick, ME has Bowden College but their humanities curriculum (though superlative) isn't quite in the realm of my interests. A bit traditional. So I keep looking. It will come down to a house that charms me in a place where there is good access to knowledge, either through extra good libraries or a nearby uni.

One of my assumptions if I move from SE Florida to the Northeast is that the winters will totally depress me. I grew up in SE Mass and they depressed me even when I was young. But my family is there, and family trumps climate. I am not terribly social but do have childhood friends in the NE area as well as family as a backup. We're close, our family--shared the home care of a dad with Alzheimers for some twenty years, taking turns.
Well, the cold can also affect you physically as well as mentally, so think about that. I got to the point where my hands were actually in pain and this was even in the house with the heat on. I'm in Florida now and it still sometimes gets too cold for me.

I have a very large extended family (no siblings) and have found that it's not the same, now that they have grandchildren and great-grandchildren. They have their own families and their own lives. Even among many of my friends, grandchildren have totally changed the equation. So while I do cherish my family and wish I could be at more family functions, I'm OK with just traveling up to attend the occasional wedding or party. And Facebook has helped ENORMOUSLY. I am in touch with and know more about my cousins now than I ever was when I lived near them!

Just some things to consider before you make your decision...

Old 11-28-2015, 10:17 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,569 posts, read 39,952,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Well, the cold can also affect you physically as well as mentally, ... So while I do cherish my family and wish I could be at more family functions, I'm OK with just traveling up to attend the occasional wedding or party. And Facebook has helped ENORMOUSLY. I am in touch with and know more about my cousins now than I ever was when I lived near them!

Just some things to consider before you make your decision...
yeah, Using Skype, you can even watch the grandkids shovel snow, while U R warm and cozy.

I could never keep up with all the activities if I were closer.

Old 11-28-2015, 12:24 PM

5,194 posts, read 670,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Oh? I thought "where and why" was location based. Trying to help older singles find good communities to live in.
Should we all agree to discuss more personal matters related to being older and single here? We do a little already but I never wanted to take it to far as it seemed off topic. Or start a new thread? Maybe a different forum would be more suitable? I tried starting one in Non Romantic relationshiops but I worded it badly and it got off topic right away, I asked a mod to delete it so I can start over.
I've been mulling over this retirement forum ever since I saw a post on another thread where the OP was miffed because his post got moved because the moderator didn't think it belonged under the retirement forum.

"Retirement" is such a catchall phrase--so much so that I think it should be split up into several "sub-forums" similar to the way the Parenting forum is. So, for example, under Retirement there would be separate forums for Senior Finances, Life style, Senior Health & Beauty, Housing, Relationships, Single Seniors, etc. I realize that some of these topics are covered elsewhere in their own forums but regardless, I think the idea merits consideration. Seniors have their own special needs in relationship to these topics, and I have seen many posters reluctant direct certain questions in other forums outside of the retirement forum because they don't feel comfortable or feel that the general population would not understand.

I don't know how popular an idea this would be nor do I know how the "City-Data Gods" would react to the suggestion, but I thought I'd just toss it out here.

Old 11-28-2015, 03:13 PM

2 posts, read 1,902 times
I'm single and not yet retired but trying to find utopia with friendly people (and lots of good-looking men) on any coast (not too humid in the summer) with beautiful beaches, entertainment, culture, some nitelife, etc. that is not too expensive....Does anyone have any cities or towns in mind that one could explore?

Old 11-28-2015, 03:31 PM

4,669 posts, read 3,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgsg View Post
I'm single and not yet retired but trying to find utopia with friendly people (and lots of good-looking men) on any coast (not too humid in the summer) with beautiful beaches, entertainment, culture, some nitelife, etc. that is not too expensive....Does anyone have any cities or towns in mind that one could explore?

^^^^^^^^^^ I am single and retired and I'm looking for the same thing!! Sort of.

Old 11-28-2015, 03:38 PM

2,626 posts, read 4,952,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgsg View Post
Areas on the East coast will be humid. Areas on the West coast of the U.S. are much less humid.

Old 11-28-2015, 04:53 PM

11,419 posts, read 20,266,606 times
Not all those retired are seniors!

Old 11-28-2015, 05:21 PM

4,972 posts, read 3,458,710 times
Since I don't know if my income will change my rent & won't know until January when our income is looked at, because of the settlement from the car accident, I am looking at Craig's list for the cities I am interested in.

I invested most of the money & the questionnaire we have to fill out does include investments. Even though I only receive $1184 in SSDI, -Medicare, it is probable that the settlement may be included as income. If that is the case, I will be looking at col. So far Tennessee has the lowest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement