U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-29-2015, 12:16 AM
 
Location: Florida Gulf Coast
4,408 posts, read 5,931,325 times
Reputation: 7121

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgsg View Post
I'm single and not yet retired but trying to find utopia with friendly people (and lots of good-looking men) on any coast (not too humid in the summer) with beautiful beaches, entertainment, culture, some nitelife, etc. that is not too expensive....Does anyone have any cities or towns in mind that one could explore?
Dream on. Every area has its pro's and con's, and actually Southern California meets most of your requirements ... except for the "not too expensive" part.

 
Old 11-29-2015, 05:24 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,018 posts, read 17,751,136 times
Reputation: 32309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
I've been mulling over this retirement forum ever since I saw a post on another thread where the OP was miffed because his post got moved because the moderator didn't think it belonged under the retirement forum.

"Retirement" is such a catchall phrase--so much so that I think it should be split up into several "sub-forums" similar to the way the Parenting forum is. So, for example, under Retirement there would be separate forums for Senior Finances, Life style, Senior Health & Beauty, Housing, Relationships, Single Seniors, etc. I realize that some of these topics are covered elsewhere in their own forums but regardless, I think the idea merits consideration. Seniors have their own special needs in relationship to these topics, and I have seen many posters reluctant direct certain questions in other forums outside of the retirement forum because they don't feel comfortable or feel that the general population would not understand.

I don't know how popular an idea this would be nor do I know how the "City-Data Gods" would react to the suggestion, but I thought I'd just toss it out here.
Breaking up the Retirement Forum has been discussed again and again over the years, so your post is just the latest resurrection of that debate. Yes, our forum is a large tent and it functions as an "all things senior" forum as well as a "retirement" forum narrowly defined. My take on it is that it functions very well in its present incarnation, so if it isn't broke, why fix it? All the different aspects that you mention are covered here, and there would be no advantage to splitting them apart; at present we can just ignore threads in which we have no particular interest. The one aspect which has its own separate place is Medicare issues, which is a sub-forum of the Health and Wellness Forum. But Medicare as it relates to finances is widely accepted right here, as moderators seem to be very flexible with us.

You happened to encounter a disgruntled poster, but I would say that the one example means little. Speaking about topics, your post and my response to it are both off-topic in this thread about relocation. Draconian moderation would infract both of us for "hijacking a thread" but I doubt we have much to worry about. Your post illustrates the wide-spread tendency to make every thread in the Retirement Forum into a chat thread. Trying to reverse that tendency would be as futile as trying to hold back the tide.
 
Old 11-29-2015, 06:11 AM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,988,950 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
I've been mulling over this retirement forum ever since I saw a post on another thread where the OP was miffed because his post got moved because the moderator didn't think it belonged under the retirement forum.

"Retirement" is such a catchall phrase--so much so that I think it should be split up into several "sub-forums" similar to the way the Parenting forum is. So, for example, under Retirement there would be separate forums for Senior Finances, Life style, Senior Health & Beauty, Housing, Relationships, Single Seniors, etc. I realize that some of these topics are covered elsewhere in their own forums but regardless, I think the idea merits consideration. Seniors have their own special needs in relationship to these topics, and I have seen many posters reluctant direct certain questions in other forums outside of the retirement forum because they don't feel comfortable or feel that the general population would not understand.

I don't know how popular an idea this would be nor do I know how the "City-Data Gods" would react to the suggestion, but I thought I'd just toss it out here.
Off topic for this thread, but will say that I have proposed the subforum idea several times over the past seven years and have gotten shot down. Clarity and organization doesn't seem to be preferred. What retirement necessarily has to do with "senior life" is beyond me, but many/most here insist the two are intimately linked. So don't look for any change.
 
Old 11-29-2015, 01:12 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,018 posts, read 17,751,136 times
Reputation: 32309
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
Off topic for this thread, but will say that I have proposed the subforum idea several times over the past seven years and have gotten shot down. Clarity and organization doesn't seem to be preferred. What retirement necessarily has to do with "senior life" is beyond me, but many/most here insist the two are intimately linked. So don't look for any change.
Clarity? You must be joking. The atomization of the forum would bring less, not more, clarity, as people would struggle with which sub-forum to post in or to look in because the boundaries are fluid. In the vast majority of cases the thread title is sufficiently descriptive for everyone to know if they are interested in that thread.

Senior life is logically linked to retirement because only a small percentage of retirees are of the type who are financially hyper-successful and retire in their forties or early fifties. Are you being obtuse on purpose? Sure, a person might still be working full time at age 75, but that is obviously just as much an outlier as the one who retired at 40. Does it make sense to base the organization of a forum on outliers instead of on the vast majority? Not to me.
 
Old 11-30-2015, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Prescott AZ
6,128 posts, read 9,091,165 times
Reputation: 11545
Eye yi yi. How can a person be obtuse? I thought that was a geometry term, like an obtuse angle? ER, you definitely like to start trouble, right? Why???????????
 
Old 11-30-2015, 03:13 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,988,950 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
Clarity? You must be joking. The atomization of the forum would bring less, not more, clarity, as people would struggle with which sub-forum to post in or to look in because the boundaries are fluid. In the vast majority of cases the thread title is sufficiently descriptive for everyone to know if they are interested in that thread.

Senior life is logically linked to retirement because only a small percentage of retirees are of the type who are financially hyper-successful and retire in their forties or early fifties. Are you being obtuse on purpose? Sure, a person might still be working full time at age 75, but that is obviously just as much an outlier as the one who retired at 40. Does it make sense to base the organization of a forum on outliers instead of on the vast majority? Not to me.
I won't press my opinion further, as it's clear I am in the minority, though that doesn't mean I'm necessarily "wrong" in my thinking. I harbor no illusion that anything will be changed; all I was saying is that I agreed with that poster.
 
Old 11-30-2015, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,018 posts, read 17,751,136 times
Reputation: 32309
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Eye yi yi. How can a person be obtuse? I thought that was a geometry term, like an obtuse angle? ER, you definitely like to start trouble, right? Why???????????
1. Yes, that is one meaning of the word "obtuse". You can check any dictionary for other meanings.

2. No, I definitely do not like to start trouble. How is expressing my opinion on a subject raised by someone else starting trouble? Ironically, your post comes closer to starting trouble than mine. Instead of weighing in on the matter under discussion, you chose to accuse one of the participants in the debate of starting trouble. Time for you to re-think the whole thing.
 
Old 11-30-2015, 04:47 PM
 
5,429 posts, read 3,455,723 times
Reputation: 13714
PhxBarb, Dictionary.com | Find the Meanings and Definitions of Words at Dictionary.com

insert the word 'obtuse' in the dictionary above, or read it below

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/obtuse?s=t

Last edited by matisse12; 11-30-2015 at 06:16 PM..
 
Old 11-30-2015, 06:08 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,988,950 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
1. Yes, that is one meaning of the word "obtuse". You can check any dictionary for other meanings.

2. No, I definitely do not like to start trouble. How is expressing my opinion on a subject raised by someone else starting trouble? Ironically, your post comes closer to starting trouble than mine. Instead of weighing in on the matter under discussion, you chose to accuse one of the participants in the debate of starting trouble. Time for you to re-think the whole thing.
You can weigh in with "your opinion" without the constant need to diss ("obtuse") the opinion of another. That is the height of arrogance and doesn't reflect well on your claim that "everyone is entitled to their opinion without criticism."

Last edited by RiverBird; 11-30-2015 at 07:28 PM..
 
Old 12-01-2015, 12:34 AM
 
Location: Florida Gulf Coast
4,408 posts, read 5,931,325 times
Reputation: 7121
If I might weigh in: I am usually the first one to try to neatly categorize and sub-categorize everything in life, but in this case, I disagree. The more sub-forums there are, the less likely I am to look at them. Anything requiring an extra click is a pain. Therefore, I rarely go into the Medicare sub-forum, even though I've seen some topics that are of interest to me. If there were a separate "Senior Relationship" topic, I'd probably ignore it....yet, if there's a relationship question in the main forum, such as whether women think of men as "irrelevant", it catches my attention (and many, MANY others, LOL).

IMO, I think it's perfectly fine the way it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top